Quantcast

Power to declare war?

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
So, I have been thinking about the constitutional power to declare war granted to Congress. It seems that not since WWII has congress ever declared war, yet we have engaged in many "wars" under the guise of police actions or some other bogus name.

I recall when Bush senior decided to invade for Desert Storm, Congress and the media were up in arms about it. There was much debate on whther the executive had the power to just go and attack another nation without congress' consent. I think the executive used the fact that since Iraq had violated the soveriegnty of Kuwait, we were obligated to help, or some crap like that. But now, the Jr. Bush wants to invade Iraq unprovoked, and I have not heard much at all about the executive overstepping its authority, usurping congress' power, etc. I haven't heard it from Congress nor the media.

What gives?

Maybe it has something to do with the new dictitorial laws our government is enacting, such as Due process suffering with the military holding Americans without a trial or access to a lawyer. Privacy and freedom of speech suffering thanks to the Patriot Act and Homelands Security Act.

I guess I would be hesitant to speak out when his spokesman is saying things like this...

"There are reminders to all Americans that they need to watch what they say, watch what they do, and this is not a time for remarks like that; there never is." - Ari Fleicher in response to Bill
Maher who called U.S. military strikes on faraway targets "cowardly"

Just seems like we have allowed the creation of a dicatorship. :think: :angry:

What do you all think?

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
I totally agree. I don't think we're by any means a dictatorship, and we're far from it, but there are baby steps you can take in that direction.... steps that are easily cast aside as "necessary during the current crisis", and, we're definitly taking those steps in the climate of fear and misinformation.

Bill Mahar spoke the truth, and got fired for it, silenced..... I couldn't agree more with what he said, something like, "It isn't cowardly to fly a plane into a building, it's cowardly to press a button to launch weapons against distant soft targets."

We're far from dictatorship, but we're headed towards "second-rate democracy".

Here's some related reads and audio speaches:

www.democracynow.org Listen to the Noam Chomsky, Greg Palast talks (and others)on the column on the left. The site is an alternative news source, really interesting stuff, all in audio format.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by the BIG cheese
bush is still riding the power wave congress gave him after 9/11 hes got sooo much power its scary, really
It's not just that, power has been shifting from the legislative to the executive branch for the last two hundred years. The rights recently granted to (claimed by) Bush are simply a natural progression of the trend. I don't claim that's a good thing, but it would probably take a constitutional amendment to stop it.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
its in the origional constitution that the powers are to be equal between the 3 branches! im curious as to what that admendment would look like

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
This is going a little off course, but last night I was watching the (Austrlian)Prime Minister say that Iraq is not co-operating and if they continue to do so we will commit troops. Unless I'm missing some info they have co-operated haven't they....:confused: I know getting info from the media is dodgy and you never get the whole story, but what I want to know is how is Iraq not co-operating anybody know....??
Obviously it's just for oil control....surely the people in power should be smart enough to beable to cook up some story capable of some sort of belief that it is for the good of the World not just America....too bad it's not

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Eddie420
Obviously it's just for oil control....surely the people in power should be smart enough to beable to cook up some story capable of some sort of belief that it is for the good of the World not just America....too bad it's not
Not all Americans are going to be fabulously wealthy once the oil is secured.
Just a select few who have no intent but to intensify their already excessive power.