Quantcast

Powerpoint

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I would like to create a PP presentation on PP 2008 for Mac and play it on a corporate turd running XP and MS Orifice 2003. Can PP presentations be exported as a standalone file that will play on any machine?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I would like to create a PP presentation on PP 2008 for Mac and play it on a corporate turd running XP and MS Orifice 2003. Can PP presentations be exported as a standalone file that will play on any machine?
Yes...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I've created many PowerPoint presentations on PP 2008 for Mac and played them on XP boxes running Office 2003 without any major issues. I've experienced some minor font compatibility issues and some occasional formatting issues with equations but that's about it. All other aspects of the PowerPoint files such as animations, graphics, and transitions have ported over just fine. Be sure to save it as a *.ppt file. Office 2008 has a new .pptx format that doesn't seem to be backwards compatible.

And of course, run through the PowerPoint file on the host XP machine at least once before the presentation to make sure nothing's screwed up.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Or create it on OpenOffice Impress and export as a Flash file. Will work anywhere Flash is installed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I recently started using the doc & spreadsheet apps... they're really quite good. And easily shared with other Google users... which is nice.
Spreadsheeting the price of milk and syrup throughout the state of CO?

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I've created many PowerPoint presentations on PP 2008 for Mac and played them on XP boxes running Office 2003 without any major issues. I've experienced some minor font compatibility issues and some occasional formatting issues with equations but that's about it. All other aspects of the PowerPoint files such as animations, graphics, and transitions have ported over just fine. Be sure to save it as a *.ppt file. Office 2008 has a new .pptx format that doesn't seem to be backwards compatible.

And of course, run through the PowerPoint file on the host XP machine at least once before the presentation to make sure nothing's screwed up.
So... to actually answer your question, the new PowerPoint allows you to use the "publish" menu and "Package for CD."

The CD package (which can be saved to a folder instead of a CD) will play as a standalone file. It simply includes a copy of Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer installed in the directory along with your presentation.

PowerPoint Viewer is also available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048DC840-14E1-467D-8DCA-19D2A8FD7485&displaylang=en
these pretty much sum it all up...cept keep in mind that if you are running it on MS Office 2003...you will need to make sure the Powerpoint Viewer is for 2003 as well (i believe)...i have had many a nightmare with font, graphic and animation issues because of the differences between versions of Office rather than Mac versus PC.

I don't believe 2003 had much in the way of animation compared to 2008. And i have had more problems with .png files versus .jpgs...fyi.

I believe the "format" to save it as is a .pps