Quantcast

Powers takes 3rd; Samplonius 4th at Skyliners Time Trial

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Bend, OR - Alison Powers once again climbed onto the podium at the BMC Cascade Classic, taking 3rd place at the Skyliners Time Trial. Webcor's Erinne Willock won the time trial, with Mara Abbott (Peanut Butter & Co/Twenty-12) in 2nd place. Team VBF's Anne Samplonius was 4th. Abbott's second place puts her into the leader's yellow jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
The 16 mile out and back course is one of the toughest time trial courses on the calendar, with over 6 miles of climbing on the outbound section. The course covers the same out and back section as the Nationals Time Trial course. Willock, who started one minute behind Powers, caught her and passed her approximately 2 kilometers from the turnaround. Powers then proceeded to pass her again on the way back to the finish. "Erinne's riding really well right now and when she passed me on the way out, I knew I had to give it all I had on the way back," stated Powers. "I love the downhills and she was a great rabbit to catch!" </p><p>
</p><p>
Samplonius, who won the silver medal at the Canadian National time trial championships, was very pleased with her ride today. "I told myself if I didn't feel good today, I'd back off and save it for the road races," commented Samplonius. "I felt pretty good and started to pass a couple of riders, so I kept going."</p><p>
</p><p>
Powers lost the yellow jersey after Stage 1's McKenzie Pass Road Race, despite a valiant effort by the entire team to reel in the uber-climbers, Mara Abbott and Cath Cheatley (Colavita). The duo escaped early on during the 18-mile McKenzie Pass climb and their gap grew to 4 minutes at the top. But powerhouses Farina, Samplonius, Toni Bradshaw and Carla Swart got to the front and brought the gap down to 1 minute at the base of the final 10K climb. "This team is so awesome," said Powers. "They worked so hard to close that gap. It was incredible." </p><p>
</p><p>
Tomorrow stage, the Cascade Lakes Road Race, features a 71-mile loop that finishes at the Mt. Bachelor ski resort. The loop features a long steady climb up the Cascade Highway, that skirts the beautiful Elk and Sparks lakes. "This climb isn't steep, but it's long," said team director, Lisa Hunt. "It's a great course for a breakaway, and if it happens, we'll be in it!"</p>

More...