Quantcast

Powertap hub problems

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've had a cycleops powertap hub for several years now (its the older, yellow, wired version) and I'm having problems with it. I can't seem to get the tension on the bearings adjusted correctly and it slips and loosens up as I ride. I've taken it apart several times and the bearings look in good shape and I've made sure the open ball bearing side of the axle is really tight before I put it in the hub, but the problem persists. I didn't used to have this problem, could it be the bearings are ruined? Or maybe the axle and hardware is worn and needs to be replaced? Any help is appreciated

My shop was told that they had to be sent in to eliminate the chance of damaging the electronics. Also general consumers can't even buy the freehub body unless it is from a dealer. Unless you'r LBS is certified to work on their products you will have to send it in. I personally have not seen the inside of a PT hub so i cannot tell you how complecated they are.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Their hubs do suck a lot.
I've heard that a lot lately. I talked to the shop owner this morning and he said we could overhaul it here, to avoid sending it back. The axle hardware is all Shimano, with the exception of the non-drive side aluminum cone

Yeah, ditch the axle and get yourself new hardware (cones and locknuts).

Have had to do this for a few PT hubs in the past.

Axle/cone/locknut threads get a little shifty and then they won't stay properly tight and the wheel will always back off a bit allowing the loose hub syndrome.

You may also pull it apart and acetone the axle threads, cone threads and locknut threads. Let it all dry properly. Apply a thin layer of blue loc-tite to everything as you assemble. Then let it sit overnight.
This worked, once. But not a sure fire 100% cure.