Quantcast

Powertap question

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Is there any difference between the Saris Powertap Elite+ and Pro+ other than the weight of the hub? I have a wired powertap on my training bike and I would like to get a wireless version for the road bike...weight isn't a big issue for me, function matters more. If they will both track the same data then I'll go with the cheaper Elite+

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
They should, I can't seem to recall any more than the axle (alloy vs. steel) and the weight difference that entailed.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
They are almost the same. Looking at their site, they also list that the Pro+ records time in zones and peak power, whereas they don't show that the Elite+ does(although I had thought it was part of the software and not the computer).

As for the axle. I spoke to one of the guys who works for wheelbuilder.com, who built wheels for Garmin-Chipotle, and they ended up swapping the alloy axles for steel ones because the alloy axles flexed too much.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
If anyone has issues with alloy axles, let me know. I have a steel one in my drawer. The new SL+ with a 15mm axle is supposed to solve the flex. I have one in my drawer at the shop waiting to be built and it is 413 grams.

I sent in an EP form for a new SL+ today. I just sold my wired version. I had swapped the axle and hub body, so it should have been lighter than the last model SL since it lacked an antenna.

The only thing I can say for sure is that my power is substandard. :(

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
btw - the Elite + should do the same thing. They are doing away with wired in 2010 as I understand. The Comp for this year still has the carbon hubshell that they say doesn't. Or the one I've seen does.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
btw - the Elite + should do the same thing. They are doing away with wired in 2010 as I understand. The Comp for this year still has the carbon hubshell that they say doesn't. Or the one I've seen does.
And the Pro and Elite have the drawings of where the carbon was? :rofl:

BTW, I think the drawings or whatever they are look tacky; they should have just left them off.