Quantcast

praying parents of dead kid charged

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
There are plenty of people who feel that harvesting living, breathing animals for food is ignorant and selfish. The fact that you are willing to call BMXman ignorant and selfish for his opinion on vaccinations, without even knowing him, says a lot more about you than it says about him.
Indeed.
+ rep.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There are plenty of people who feel that harvesting living, breathing animals for food is ignorant and selfish. The fact that you are willing to call BMXman ignorant and selfish for his opinion on vaccinations, without even knowing him, says a lot more about you than it says about him.
We are animals and exhibit the same natural behaviors as other omnivores do. There is nothing wrong about behaving as we are biological made like other animals do.

Diseases don't care what your beliefs are and mutation and outbreaks are scientific fact.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Diseases don't care what your beliefs are and mutation and outbreaks are scientific fact.
I suppose the circular evolution of this topic would be...

If parents let a child die from diabetes cuz they were praying and are arrested for it, should vaccinations be mandated?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
If parents let a child die from diabetes cuz they were praying and are arrested for it, should vaccinations be mandated?

It's my understanding they did not know their child had diabetes and AFAIK there is no vaccination for diabetes it there?...D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...and AFAIK there is no vaccination for diabetes it there?...D
:think:

It's a matter of simple medical intervention.

And it doesn't matter if they knew what the medical issue was cuz not taking your kid to the doctor to find out is the same thing as knowing the specifics and doing nothing.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I suppose the circular evolution of this topic would be...

It would be more like idiots who think they should not be forced use use safety equipment (seatbelts/helmets/etc) only a potentially far greater cost to society than medical services/legal/trail closures/etc.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
:think:

It's a matter of simple medical intervention.

And it doesn't matter if they knew what the medical issue was cuz not taking your kid to the doctor to find out is the same thing as knowing the specifics and doing nothing.

hmm..not really true. this has been the basis for arguments in the court system before when it comes to religion...if the parents don't know what they're up against how can they be to blame? They don't go to doctors so how would they know? Now I'm not saying ignorance should absolve one of responsibility but I have followed many cases like this and the parents almost always get off or reduced sentences because they stuck to their beliefs. There was a case in Kentucky where the father was convicted and the mother wasn't because he knew his child had polio since he took him to a doctor.

Thus the jury decided that since he sought help from the medical world then refused to follow up that he was at fault. It was a long time ago in the mid nineties but I'll see if I can find it for you..anyway I'm very interested in how it's handled in a court of law...D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It would be more like idiots who think they should not be forced use use safety equipment (seatbelts/helmets/etc) only a potentially far greater cost to society than medical services/legal/trail closures/etc.
Maybe we should force the amish to use air conditioning since cleaner air will lessen the chance of asthma attacks in their kids?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
We are animals and exhibit the same natural behaviors as other omnivores do. There is nothing wrong about behaving as we are biological made like other animals do.

You are acting like by not vaccinating his kids, he is going to singlehandedly bring about the downfall of civilization. I happen to agree with him that it's none of your f*cking business, and there are way bigger problems in the world.

Plus, animals murder and eat each other in regularly in broad daylight. Lots of animals take a dump or piss wherever they happen to be standing when the urge hits them. Plenty of animals screw whatever female is closest to them, whenever and wherever the desire arises. Are you saying just because animals do it, it's OK for humans to do it too? Humans are civilized beings, and your argument holds no water. FAIL

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Plus, animals murder and eat each other in regularly in broad daylight. Lots of animals take a dump or piss wherever they happen to be standing when the urge hits them. Plenty of animals screw whatever female is closest to them, whenever and wherever the desire arises. Are you saying just because animals do it, it's OK for humans to do it too? Humans are civilized beings, and your argument holds no water. FAIL
FAIL, diet is determined by biology - it can't be wrong and takes generations to change. Go and try make your cat change from a carnivore to a herbivore and he'll die. Humans succeeded evolutionary because they were intelligent extremely adaptable omnivores.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You are acting like by not vaccinating his kids, he is going to singlehandedly bring about the downfall of civilization.
Except that too many people are having that kind of opinion and it's affecting everyone.

The argument that if these virus were allowed to multiply, that they'd eventually mutate is extremely valid. Imagine if they had caught HIV soon enough to have created a vaccination?

I'm just sayin' that these decisions go beyond the scope of the individual.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
hmm..not really true. this has been the basis for arguments in the court system before when it comes to religion...if the parents don't know what they're up against how can they be to blame?
If you hear your breaks squealing for months and then the mechanic says you destroyed your rotors, don't ask to be charged the price of pads alone.

The point is, the parents knew something was wrong.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Go and try make your cat change from a carnivore to a herbivore and he'll die.
Jesus...your hands must be stinky from constantly pulling sh!@t out of your ass...I volunteered with the SPCA for over 3 years in the cat behavioral unit....I came across literally hundreds of people who fed their cats an all veg diet and they were fine...that being said I feed my cats plenty of meat :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You are acting like by not vaccinating his kids, he is going to singlehandedly bring about the downfall of civilization.
I don't agree with syadasti that not vaccinating is selfish and ignorant.

BMXman, and others who don't vaccinate are either selfish or ignorant, not both.

One one hand they may not know the role that vaccines play, and the horrific outbreaks of disease that vaccines play a vital role in containing. Those people are ignorant.

If, on the other hand, you're aware of the above fact, and you're also aware that vaccines do have some side effects, you are in effect saying, "I'm going to let the other parents expose their children to risk, and I will accept the benefits of their risk without taking any myself." These people are quite obviously selfish.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jesus...your hands must be stinky from constantly pulling sh!@t out of your ass...I volunteered for the SPCA for over 3 years in the cat behavioral unit....I came across literally hundreds of people who fed their cats an all veg diet and they were fine...that being said I feed my cats plenty of meat :D
They would be missing required amino acid only naturally available in meat. Lack of it leads to a variety of health problems including death. They are carnivores, end of story. Cats kill and eat things both inside and outside of the home besides what you give them at feeding time.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
And the really funny thing about this whole thread is that I thought for sure I would get flamed for my religious posts.

Thanks for taking the flames for me BMXMan!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The point is, the parents knew something was wrong.
Agreed but they didn't know the severity of the situation..now like I said I don't think ignorance is an excuse...but I wonder how they're going to handle it in court since precedence has already been set.

Personally if I saw what I was doing wasn't working whether it be spiritual or physical I would have sought other means. I crashed hard on my bike back in my BMX days and I felt like sh!t for 3 days...after constant meditation I decided it was to much for me to handle so I went to see my doc...turned out I had a severely bruised kidney and spleen. Once I knew what was wrong it was easier for me to make a decision on how to handle it.

I think it comes down to how strong of faith a person has...for me I had reached my limit but it's different for everyone...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I don't agree with syadasti that not vaccinating is selfish and ignorant.

BMXman, and others who don't vaccinate are either selfish or ignorant, not both.

One one hand they may not know the role that vaccines play, and the horrific outbreaks of disease that vaccines play a vital role in containing. Those people are ignorant.

If, on the other hand, you're aware of the above fact, and you're also aware that vaccines do have some side effects, you are in effect saying, "I'm going to let the other parents expose their children to risk, and I will accept the benefits of their risk without taking any myself." These people are quite obviously selfish.
that post is narrow minded at best!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
What other options are there besides "ignorant" or "selfish"? Religious?
I guaran-fvckin-tee that if you or I made a list of all the things we do that are ignorant and/or selfish, that list would contain at least several items that are far more ignorant and/or selfish than BMXman not vaccinating his kiddos.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Matter of fact, when it comes right down to it, pretty much everything I do in the course of an average day is either ignorant, selfish, or both :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
What other options are there besides "ignorant" or "selfish"? Religious?
Come on Opie we have been down this road...there are many people who don't even believe in contagion or disease...they have a different reality than you or I...would I call them ignorant or selfish? NO...they just have a different belief system than I do...and they have that right!

Who are we to say if they're wrong or right?...I think it's pretty egotistical of us to assume they must all be quacks and our way or any way for that matter is the only right path for living....D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I guaran-fvckin-tee that if you or I made a list of all the things we do that are ignorant and/or selfish, that list would contain at least several items that are far more ignorant and/or selfish than BMXman not vaccinating his kiddos.
I might be more ignorant -and- selfish over all than BMXMan, but I try to limit it to stuff that doesn't affect society the way that people assume "herd immunity" is effective.

Still, what are the other options besides ignorant or selfish?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hey, look over there. He's boning an elephant!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Come on Opie we have been down this road...there are many people who don't even believe in contagion or disease...they have a different reality than you or I...would I call them ignorant or selfish? NO...they just have a different belief system than I do...and they have that right!
So they don't believe Polio exists?

What would happen if they saw a person with Polio?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Who are we to say if they're wrong or right?...I think it's pretty egotistical of us to assume they must all be quacks and our way or any way for that matter is the only right path for living....D
If you think bacteria and viruses are made up beliefs then I agree with Silver, you are just ignorant.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you think bacteria and viruses are made up beliefs then I agree with Silver, you are just ignorant.
And if you think a guy who died 2000 year ago after being stapled to a cross, suddenly rose from the dead, is now watching you from the sky... you're CRAZY!
So 95% of Americans are either ignorant or crazy. Why bother sorting it out?