Quantcast

praying parents of dead kid charged

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Good. Send a message.
fvcktards like this don't check their PM boxes.

there's no preventing stuff like this; it has to be mopped up afterward, sadly.

and you can't mandate what the faithful believe (e.g., God created the universe from sheer will yet isn't willing & able to help in a situation like this). God can't make the unbelieving believe, and His believers foolproof.

i'd suggest upside-down crucifixion, but this would put them up there w/ st. peter

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You mean like letting them die?
Bah. You say they let their kid die, I say they merely didn't prevent Jesus from taking her into his loving arms. (In the non-molesting kind of way. Jesus isn't a Catholic Priest, and even if he was, it's a little girl in this case.)

How can you fault the parents for hastening their daughter's entry into paradise?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Would it also be a crime if they didn't vaccinate her for idealistic reasons and she went down with whooping cough or something?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How can you fault the parents for hastening their daughter's entry into paradise?
or living to breeding age in order to make more, right? you of all people should find a renewed appreciation for these parents.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
They didn't pray hard enough, obviously.

Weak.
Or maybe they did pray hard enough but didn't listen to the answer. I think Jimmy Pop got it right...

"i prayed to you to cure my child," - father of kid
jesus - "i send you gifted medical doctors, jackas$

Personally this is how I see God answering my prayers.

And there's no need to get in a dig at me Silver... I already know your opinion.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Or maybe they did pray hard enough but didn't listen to the answer. I think Jimmy Pop got it right...

Personally this is how I see God answering my prayers.

And there's no need to get in a dig at me Silver... I already know your opinion.
So what's the point of prayer again if everyone gets the same answer and that answer never changes? :crazy:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
im enjoying the mental image of the father "praying off" the sissys in prison as he is carried out back and butt stuffed like a butterball turkey.
So you daydream of men raping other men? Watch OZ much?

Don't leave the mother out. Maybe you can dream up a good old fashioned broom stick handle raping for her.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Ciaran is right...the prayers were already answered, in the form of DOCTORS. Idiots like this should never have jumped into the gene pool in the first place.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA

Makes me wonder why he waited so many thousands of years to get around to that whole doctor thing. Best not to think I guess: gawd don't like logic.

:crazy:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Makes me wonder why he waited so many thousands of years to get around to that whole doctor thing. Best not to think I guess: gawd don't like logic.

yes, there should have been various medical equipment/technology thousands of years ago. it would have tracked well with everything else which was engineered back then.

just sayin, it looks like you're trying to show lack of science back in the day proves lack of a Creator or something.

this whole thread is about the sheer idiocy of replacing one [science/dogma] w/ the other, instead of finding the appropriate complement

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
yes, there should have been various medical equipment/technology thousands of years ago. it would have tracked well with everything else which was engineered back then.

just sayin, it looks like you're trying to show lack of science back in the day proves lack of a Creator or something.

this whole thread is about the sheer idiocy of replacing one [science/dogma] w/ the other, instead of finding the appropriate complement
Says you. Far as I'm concerned, it's about the sheer idiocy of dogma, period. What, gawd didn't have the doctor and engineer models finished until a little while ago? All the raw materials were there. I'm sure the flock was praying just as hard back in day. Hell, I'm sure they're praying pretty damn hard in Africa right now. He can't whip a couple doctors and engineers on those poor ****ers? What, is he low on stock?

Big, sad joke it all is.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so which bothers you more? people who have faith, or God's timeline of engineering "marvels"? so will you take issue with today's lack of technology? surely there are things to come which can eradicate diseases we only barely understand today. after all, we have the raw materials.

you seem to take these couple of idiots on the thread topic as some sort of middle-of-the-bell-curve jebus freaks who're representative of the whole flock, right? if so, stop doing that. everyone knows they're idiots & abusive parents. if i were one of the surviving siblings i'd have to bail & move up to something better, like a polygamous cult in texas.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
so which bothers you more? people who have faith, or God's timeline of engineering "marvels"? so will you take issue with today's lack of technology? surely there are things to come which can eradicate diseases we only barely understand today. after all, we have the raw materials.

you seem to take these couple of idiots on the thread topic as some sort of middle-of-the-bell-curve jebus freaks who're representative of the whole flock, right? if so, stop doing that. everyone knows they're idiots & abusive parents. if i were one of the surviving siblings i'd have to bail & move up to something better, like a polygamous cult in texas.

Well, since gods don't exist, that just leaves the people that keep perpetuating the myth for me to take issue with. Without that, things like this would never happen (the world would very likely be a much more peaceful place too). You're all part of the same tired old tree, whether you make up the trunk or some leaf hanging way out there in the breeze like those deluded idiots. I don't distinguish much between the day to day practices of various religious folk - muslim, christian, FLDS, whatever...all just cults of varying popularity as far as I'm concerned. Some people take their beliefs more to heart; those people actually get more respect from me because at least they're trying to live what they've been indoctrinated into, not just paying lip service while ignoring tenets that are inconvenient or unpopular like the majority do. Like I said, big sad joke on humanity.
:cheers:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Well, since gods don't exist, that just leaves the people that keep perpetuating the myth for me to take issue with. Without that, things like this would never happen (the world would very likely be a much more peaceful place too).
fair enough.

without trying to indoctrinate you (it would be a huge waste of everyone's time except for those who like watching trainwrecks), consider which cultures, or mindsets, are more inclined to take care of the poor & downtrodden: a purely atheist society (china), or a religious one (u.s.). i mean, why take care of someone who's clearly lesser than you or at their end? they're just hogging up resources if they can't serve the collective (taking a ranching mindset). if i were just all about me & this time on earth, i would have no appreciation for the altruistic & would be inclined to be maximally competitive/self-serving, and there would be nothing amoral about it. there's too many people on the trails & slopes as it is. time to thin the herd.

but yes, regional & global conflagrations tend to spark more readily over religious ideology than, say, irreligious ideology (e.g., global warming)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
fair enough.

without trying to indoctrinate you (it would be a huge waste of everyone's time except for those who like watching trainwrecks), consider which cultures, or mindsets, are more inclined to take care of the poor & downtrodden: a purely atheist society (china), or a religious one (u.s.). i mean, why take care of someone who's clearly lesser than you or at their end? they're just hogging up resources if they can't serve the collective (taking a ranching mindset). if i were just all about me & this time on earth, i would have no appreciation for the altruistic & would be inclined to be maximally competitive/self-serving, and there would be nothing amoral about it. there's too many people on the trails & slopes as it is. time to thin the herd.
Since we're pulling comparisons out of our ass, why don't we take a look at Sweden vs. the US. After all, Sweden is apparently more irreligious than China is.

And boy, those Swedes really treat their poor badly. They sure need God...

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
fair enough.

:biggrin: I agree - it's pretty miserable and pathetic that so many people require the threat of otherworldly punishment in order to act humanely towards others. Course, that's got a lot to do with how the whole scam has been perpetuated, now doesn't it? Personally, I don't need the concept of an ethereal overseer to keep me from living like an animal, but maybe most people are too selfish and base to be good by themselves, just because. As for where innate 'goodness' comes from, I dunno, maybe something instinctual...haven't quite got that figured yet...:twitch:

I'm not gonna say that all (or even most) of the results of religion are negative. But still, you can't miss the parallels to threatening a 3 y/o that Santa won't be bringing toys if he's bad. There comes a time to grow out of that stuff IMO.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Since we're pulling comparisons out of our ass, why don't we take a look at Sweden vs. the US. After all, Sweden is apparently more irreligious than China is.

And boy, those Swedes really treat their poor badly. They sure need God...
they don't outlaw or heavily regulate religion, like china does, so my comparison stands. as i'm sure you're aware, they are very secularist not just in gov't, but in their culture. go figure they also have the lowest rates of marriage in the world.

now consider what's happened in the past decade in sweden: muslim immigration. this is now putting their system to the test, for these immigrants self-identify as muslim to the exclusion of their host gov't.

best case scenario is detente, and history has taught us not to expect this.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yeah but how many white people are there?

we don't kill each other, just bugger our kids.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Then shouldn't you be comparing how China handles the poor compared to Saudi Arabia, or perhaps Afghanistan under the Taliban?

You're too smart to be this stupid...
this would be a good zinger if were germane to the point: institutionalized eradication or the mandate of religious practice does not cotton well to altruistic actions.

when recent-ish earthquakes hit pakistan, and the tsunami hit indonesia, what was china's response? what was the western response?

for that matter, let's examine the religious gov't of indonesia: they put conditions on assistance to "protect islam", most notably that no orphans go to christian orphanages. i'm unaware if there were atheist orphanages which were vying for orphans.

to their respective value systems, nothing was immoral, but perhaps amoral

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
this would be a good zinger if were germane to the point: institutionalized eradication or the mandate of religious practice does not cotton well to altruistic actions.
So why is it better to be poor in Sweden compared to the US then?

Hey, we're back at the start of the circle!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the floor & the ceiling are much closer together in sweden than here.

continuing w/ the carpet/drapes theme, it depends if you're into midgets or amazons

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Stink, China v. US is not the same as athiest v. religion and therefore some quantity of kindness. They are very different cultures and many more variables involved, and there are already a lot of counterexamples. Many people I know are very kind and devout athiests, and there are examples of very religious places (Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Europe) which have seen a lot of violence in the name of religion.

Chinese aren't the only athiests in the world and not representative of all anti-religious philosophies. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell anyone this.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Stink, China v. US is not the same as athiest v. religion and therefore some quantity of kindness. They are very different cultures and many more variables involved, and there are already a lot of counterexamples. Many people I know are very kind and devout athiests, and there are examples of very religious places (Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Europe) which have seen a lot of violence in the name of religion.

Chinese aren't the only athiests in the world and not representative of all anti-religious philosophies. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell anyone this.
agreed.

i attempted to put a finer point on it when i said institutionalized eradication or the mandate of religious practice does not cotton well to altruistic actions.

now everyone go away before i issue a patwa

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal

So what's the point of prayer again if everyone gets the same answer and that answer never changes? :crazy:
I know I am going to regret this but...

I belive that even God operates by laws and rules. Whether or not he set down those laws I do not know. Personally, I am not arrogant enough to think that I understand the mind of God. Nor do I try to claim that I understand his will or even physical form.

Anyhoo... I believe that God has givin us everything we need, and the mind to try and understand and figure it out. Whether or not we figure it out is up to us.

Burley, the answer may or may not be always the same. Depends on what you believe. For Silver the answer is always the same because there is no answer/response to prayers. For me the answers change. Sometimes I percieve the answer to be, "Hey moron, I gave you everything you already need... use your head and figure it out!" other times the answers come in the form of understanding, comfort, or something I don't understand or perhaps, percieve. Depends on what I am praying/askign for. I do not believe that prayer is asking God for stuff and having it just happen. I believe that prayer, much like meditation is a means to try to get closer to God, to perhaps come to a better understanding of Him and myself.

And lastly, I believe that God loves logic. If God created everything... the universe, us, matter, energy... everything, then he either did it according to the laws of science, or created those laws. Math, music, language, science. All gifts from God. What we do with those gifts is up to us.

Go ahead and flame away. I've got my Nomex robes on.

:)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Math, music, language, science. All gifts from God. What we do with those gifts is up to us.
Doesn't that mean that medicine is a gift from god? If he gave it to us, wouldn't he be annoyed if someone doesn't use it, especially in his name?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Doesn't that mean that medicine is a gift from god? If he gave it to us, wouldn't he be annoyed if someone doesn't use it, especially in his name?
I see where you're going with this and I thought of putting in the same but I didn't want to use the post just to get in a dig at BMXMan.

We all make our own choices in life. What God gets mad at... well that would be assuming to understand the mind of God. Perhaps saying that God is mad, or annoyed, or angry isn't a good choice of words. Maybe we should just say that using the gifts that God has given us we have been able to come up with vaccines. In our opinion, using them is a very good and practical thing and maybe, just maybe a way to celebrate His name and His works.

BMXMan knows our opinions, and I think, knows what the benefits of vaccinations are. I think that by not using them he is making a bad choice. But he is an adult human being and has a right to make his decisions just as I have a right to make mine. I can express my concerns to him, and try to educate him, but beyond that it is his choice.

Short answer to your two questions: Yes, and I don't think it's that simple.

Edit: I try to be VERY careful about doing things in His name. There are very few things I believe will really get you in "trouble" with God. This is one of them.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Whatever floats your boat Ciaran. My comments were only directed at the idea and belief by many, that god is some kind of mystical genie who occasionally grants wishes to those he deems worthy enough to receive them.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
BMXMan knows our opinions, and I think, knows what the benefits of vaccinations are. I think that by not using them he is making a bad choice. But he is an adult human being and has a right to make his decisions just as I have a right to make mine. I can express my concerns to him, and try to educate him, but beyond that it is his choice.
There is also a huge range of grey here, but for me I draw the lines in three spots:
prevention versus treatment,
sickness versus death, and
children versus adults.

I know couples that have decided not to vaccinate their kids because of the dangers and side effects of some vaccinations. This wasn't a religious decision, and was based on the science. My only issue is that they can "get away" with this because everyone else DOES vaccinate, so their kids have a low likelihood of exposure. That seemed selfish, but understandable.

Moving beyond that, there are those that rely on holistic and Eastern medicine, and I can't fault them for that either.

UNTIL the illness threatens death or permanent damage to children or those incapable of making their own decisions. At that stage, to not rely on western medicine that represents a proven treatment is abuse or murder, depending on the outcome.