Quantcast

Pre-Katrina video released

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Old Man G Funk said:
But, did they really do all they could? Bush and Brown knew well in advance that the storm was coming. They had experts telling them how bad it would be, how much damage would be caused, etc. Yet, the effort was found wanting. Then, they tried to lie to the public about the depth of their knowledge as well as smear the governor with lies about her response time.

No one is saying that the government should protect one from all harm, and the government can't stop a hurricane from happening, but they can certainly alleviate the damage done and the aftermath, and that was NOT done.
:stupid: I think that sums up the argument pretty well.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
Yes, blame bush.. it's soooo easy when they problems are far too difficult to think about.
No the problems aren't that difficult to think about. It's actually relatively easy to break down the chain of responsibilities (they were and are very clearly defined), and there were failures at all levels. However, the responsibility for coordinating the response effort is unquestionably with FEMA. That is not arguable. So any failures in the coordination are the fault of FEMA.

What is arguable is the cause of those failures at FEMA. The failures that occured DID not occur in the Hurricane Andrew response, nor in the 9/11 response (though neither of those were perfect, they weren't complete cluster****s). The major difference in the operation of the department between those and Katrina was its incorporation into the Dept of Homeland Security, and not surprisingly a majority of the major failures can be traced to the new layers of bureacracy created by that move. Again, this is not arguable. Now you can argue all day about who is at fault for the creation and design of Homeland Security, but at the end of the day, unless these problems are addressed Homeland Security was and will continue to be a very very bad thing for our domestic emergency response. I feel like there's some irony there, but that would be opinion and I want to stick to the facts.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ooooops!!!

Clarification: Katrina-Video story
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) _ In a March 1 story, The Associated Press reported that federal disaster officials warned President Bush and his homeland security chief before Hurricane Katrina struck that the storm could breach levees in New Orleans, citing confidential video footage of an Aug. 28 briefing among U.S. officials.

The Army Corps of Engineers considers a breach a hole developing in a levee rather than an overrun. The story should have made clear that Bush was warned about floodwaters overrunning the levees, rather than the levees breaking.

The day before the storm hit, Bush was told there were grave concerns that the levees could be overrun. It wasn't until the next morning, as the storm was hitting, that Michael Brown, then head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Bush had inquired about reports of breaches. Bush did not participate in that briefing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Amish said:
Humanity steped up and people did what they could, thats realy about all you can ask for in those situations. The notion the government can/should protect you from all harm, especialy natural disasters is obsurd. In the end the money will come, the city will be rebuilt and life will go on as always. If you dont want to take the risk of trying to survive a hurricane move to ohio or something
This is always the cry of the conservative: someone else will do the job, so why should I?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
N8 said:
ooooops!!!

Clarification: Katrina-Video story
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) _ In a March 1 story, The Associated Press reported that federal disaster officials warned President Bush and his homeland security chief before Hurricane Katrina struck that the storm could breach levees in New Orleans, citing confidential video footage of an Aug. 28 briefing among U.S. officials.

The Army Corps of Engineers considers a breach a hole developing in a levee rather than an overrun. The story should have made clear that Bush was warned about floodwaters overrunning the levees, rather than the levees breaking.

The day before the storm hit, Bush was told there were grave concerns that the levees could be overrun. It wasn't until the next morning, as the storm was hitting, that Michael Brown, then head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Bush had inquired about reports of breaches. Bush did not participate in that briefing.
Whether the levees were breached or overrun, people have known for a long time that a Cat. 4 or Cat. 5 hurricane hitting NO would have catastrophic effects, including wide-ranging flooding. Some even suggested that only the third floor of buildings would remain above water.

So, how is this an oops?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
Everyone should know that getting the federal government to do something 'speedy' is pretty much impossible. Its a huge bureaucracy that moves pretty slowly as well it should.
See Hurricane Andrew. See 9/11. FEMA used to be "speedy." Your second sentence only became true because of Homeland Security. I feel so much more secure now.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
sanjuro said:
This is always the cry of the conservative: someone else will do the job, so why should I?
And you shout the true cry of a liberal. WHy help myself when I can always make some one else do it for me. JUst remember you have to work so hard because millions of people on welfare depend on you.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
The Amish said:
Just remember you have to work so hard because millions of people on welfare depend on you.
...and the Liberal says "Yay, I am perfectly willing to work harder and pay higher taxes so those less fortunate than I can receive the benefits that they so desperately need!" Or at least I am; you conservatives can horde your money for all I care.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
LOve to but for some reason my paycheck gets jacked every week before I even see it

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
kinghami3 said:
...and the Liberal says "Yay, I am perfectly willing to work harder and pay higher taxes so those less fortunate than I can receive the benefits that they so desperately need!" Or at least I am; you conservatives can horde your money for all I care.

Well, they say that when they are poor college students anyway... doesn't last too long afterwards though.

:p

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The Amish said:
JUst remember you have to work so hard because millions of people on welfare depend on you.
Actually you work so hard because we invaded Iraq.

You might want to check your numbers.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Frankly its all too much. Here in NY they get you coming and goin. It costs so much just to die I dont think I can even afford that

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
NOt all, some go towards basic services that everyone uses such as roads, bridges, and parks. BUt things that get double taxed such as used cars where your paying tax on something that was already taxed when it was originaly purchased, or the death tax where its basicaly like tipin a corpse upside down and shakin out all the change. Those taxes are just obsurd. I dont neccesarily want to get rid of all the taxes collected that go to welfare cause theres alot of people with genuine need, but I think the practice of handing these people cash which often winds up getting spent on crack and 40's needs to be changed so there's no way of spending the money on anything but basic living neccesities such as food clothes and shelter.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
The Amish said:
NOt all, some go towards basic services that everyone uses such as roads, bridges, and parks. BUt things that get double taxed such as used cars where your paying tax on something that was already taxed when it was originaly purchased, or the death tax where its basicaly like tipin a corpse upside down and shakin out all the change. Those taxes are just obsurd. I dont neccesarily want to get rid of all the taxes collected that go to welfare cause theres alot of people with genuine need, but I think the practice of handing these people cash which often winds up getting spent on crack and 40's needs to be changed so there's no way of spending the money on anything but basic living neccesities such as food clothes and shelter.
So, you object to taxes on used cars (which is a sales tax) and the inheritance tax. Um, neither of those come out of your paycheck.

If you are objecting to how the taxes are used, that's a different story. It generally wouldn't affect how much money is taken out of your paycheck, however. If the government doesn't spend it on welfare, it will find some other way to spend it, as evidenced by our amazingly large deficit.

As an aside, do you know how much of the tax revenue is actually spent on welfare?

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
This year alone were projected to spend about $530 billion dollars between state and federal welfare programs. I dont even think theres a billion people in the entire country so that means were all buying about $500 of crack a piece this year and we wont even catch a buzz

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The Amish said:
This year alone were projected to spend about $530 billion dollars between state and federal welfare programs. I dont even think theres a billion people in the entire country so that means were all buying about $500 of crack a piece this year and we wont even catch a buzz
Actually the US population is just under 300 million. So if you take into account that people on welfare aren't contributing to the tax base, we're each probably buying about $2000 worth of crack this year. But I for one WILL be catching a buzz, just not with that crack.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
The Amish said:
By the way, $530 billion is more than we spend on defense, which is the largest item in the budget. Your numbers are way off (as shown in the link above.)

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Echo said:
Those numbers are from 1992. Give me 15 years of data to play with, and I could prove anything.
It might be 15 years old, but do you really think that we have changed that much in that amount of time, especially since the Republican controlled Congress passed a "welfare reform" measure in the mid 90s?

If you truly think that we spend $530 billion dollars on handouts to poor people, you are truly off base. If that is the correct number, it is only because a lot of other programs were lumped into it, like student loans. Most of the money does NOT go to the poorest part of the population. The link I cited showed that the poorest part of the population (16.4%) got only 17.8% of the money. Your complaints are mislaid.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Old Man G Funk said:
It might be 15 years old, but do you really think that we have changed that much in that amount of time, especially since the Republican controlled Congress passed a "welfare reform" measure in the mid 90s?

If you truly think that we spend $530 billion dollars on handouts to poor people, you are truly off base. If that is the correct number, it is only because a lot of other programs were lumped into it, like student loans. Most of the money does NOT go to the poorest part of the population. The link I cited showed that the poorest part of the population (16.4%) got only 17.8% of the money. Your complaints are mislaid.
I have no f*cking idea how much gets spent on welfare, and frankly I don't care, because when it comes down to it, we are all going to get taxraped by the government, no matter who we "elect" (even though we don't really "elect" our leaders), no matter how much we bitch about it, and no matter what they tell us they are spending it on, because our entire system of government in the US is severely flawed.

My point is that if you give me 15 years of numbers (approximately 4 presidency terms) and let me choose which year's numbers prove my point the best, I'll have no trouble picking a year that does a nice job of proving me right. And if you truly believe that link you posted represents an unbiased subjective viewpoint, you my friend are the one who is deluded.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
In Y2000, combined state and federal spending:
* Medical assistance to low income persons cost $222 billion or 51 percent of total welfare spending.
* Cash, food and housing aid together cost $167 billion or 38 percent of the total.
* Social Services, training, targeted education, and community development aid cost around $47 billion or 11 percent of the total.

The second item is the one people usually mean specifically when they say 'welfare.'

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Echo said:
My point is that if you give me 15 years of numbers (approximately 4 presidency terms) and let me choose which year's numbers prove my point the best, I'll have no trouble picking a year that does a nice job of proving me right.
Well here's every year from 1929-2000. Which one proves you right?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Echo said:
I have no f*cking idea how much gets spent on welfare, and frankly I don't care, because when it comes down to it, we are all going to get taxraped by the government, no matter who we "elect" (even though we don't really "elect" our leaders), no matter how much we bitch about it, and no matter what they tell us they are spending it on, because our entire system of government in the US is severely flawed.

My point is that if you give me 15 years of numbers (approximately 4 presidency terms) and let me choose which year's numbers prove my point the best, I'll have no trouble picking a year that does a nice job of proving me right. And if you truly believe that link you posted represents an unbiased subjective viewpoint, you my friend are the one who is deluded.
Because that one year was an anomoly? I don't think so. Anyway, I found this link that you might find interesting as well...

http://web.hku.hk/~hrnwlck/sweldata/welspend.htm

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Looks to me like in the 8 years from 1992 to 2000, Medicaid went from $76 billion to $222 billion, and AFDC went from $12 billion to $167 billion.

Any guesses as to what has happened to those numbers in the 6 years since 2000? OMGF? Perhaps Amish's numbers aren't quite so "way off base"?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ohio said:
Well here's every year from 1929-2000. Which one proves you right?
Looks to me like OMGF's link conveniently picked the year right before everything went through the roof. Just like I said.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Echo said:
Looks to me like in the 8 years from 1992 to 2000, Medicaid went from $76 billion to $222 billion, and AFDC went from $12 billion to $167 billion.

Any guesses as to what has happened to those numbers in the 6 years since 2000? OMGF? Perhaps Amish's numbers aren't quite so "way off base"?
It looks as though one is talking about federal and one is talking about state + federal.

Edit: Oh, and there's 8 years between 1992 and 2000.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Echo said:
Looks to me like OMGF's link conveniently picked the year right before everything went through the roof. Just like I said.
A) Um, I don't know how you get that, considering where 1992 falls on the curve (hint, the x-axis, or the bottom line, is where you find the year.)

B) I think Ohio's question holds. Which year proves your point?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Old Man G Funk said:
A) Um, I don't know how you get that, considering where 1992 falls on the curve (hint, the x-axis, or the bottom line, is where you find the year.)

B) I think Ohio's question holds. Which year proves your point?
OK smartass. Use your superior intellect to open MS Paint and draw a line straight up from about where 1992 would appear (hint, it's shortly after 1990). Then pull your head out of your ass and notice the approximately 30% increase in the blue area of the chart (hint, it's the one that designates cash, food, housing) from 1992-2000. I don't suppose your dazzling mind power noticed that this chart displays in "corrected" currency either? (I don't have time to explain to you what that means) Do you think the graph flattens from 2000-2006?

I answered ohio's question, but let me do it again for the mentally challenged (OMGF): your link chose the year 1992 for its sample statistics (and didn't use corrected currency either) which was right before a major jump in the numbers.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Uh, Can we get a graph of US population next to that welfare graph before we all go off half-cocked?