Quantcast

pre-surgery doctor's visit -or- how I met the dumbest person on the planet

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The nurse told me a bunch of things to do, including not eating before surgery, as well as to take my prescribed medicines that morning.

One of the medicines prescibed to me is a sleeping pill (as needed).

My girl just shook her head in disbelief and asked if I normally take my sleeping pill in the morning. Not to mention that it's probably not a good idea to take a sleeping pill before genereal anesthesia.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I think she meant to take your meds as prescribed. If your sleeping pill is perscribed "As Needed" then you need to ask yourself if you need it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ciaran said:
I think she meant to take your meds as prescribed. If your sleeping pill is perscribed "As Needed" then you need to ask yourself if you need it.
The nurse specifically said to take it.

What if I'm an idiot and followed her instructions?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
The nurse specifically said to take it.

She said to take a sleeping pill, or to take your normally prescribed drugs?

Do you normally take a sleeping pill in the morning?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I remember going in for surgery once, they "pre medicated" me with some sort of Valium derivitive. They prescribed four 5mg pills, which I (naively) wondered if it would actually do anything.

So I went to the pharmacy, got my drugs and the lady behind the counter got alarmed. She asked if that was really the correct dosage and I just shrugged. She gave it to me and I split.

Luckily they told me to get dressed before popping them...

The morning of I took them 30 min before my appointment, 10 minutes later I started to get giddy and the next and last thing I remember was sitting down in the waiting room.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
LordOpie said:
She should assume you're a complete dumbass and should be able to make it clear to you what you need to do even if you are a complete dumbass.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
ACL Reconstruction. Using my hammy tendon for donor.
I figured you were going to enlarge something.

Make sure to write wrong knee on the wrong knee. Heal up quick.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
robdamanii said:
If they cut the wrong nut off, you're half way to banging everyone you'd ever want to, worry free.
Yes, because guys with no testicles are impervious to STD's.

:think:

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Brian HCM#1 said:
Go patella, its stronger. Recovery is way worse though.

yes, patellar tendon is the way to go, by like BHCM#1 says, recovery sucks. I was on crutches for a month before I could put any weight on mine, but now,............no probs, and my patellar tendon has a nice chunk taken out you can see and feel which is very cool for stories :cool: