Quantcast

Preparing for cold weather riding

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
This year I am going to force myself to keep riding. During past winters I would spend as little time as possible outside but I have vowed to change that this year. This shall be the season of the winter ride.

But I am ignorant of what makes a good "starter" set of clothes for cold weather riding. I tried searching the forums but found nothing and it's hard to tell how outdated most other websites are. There was a good article on Outside.com but it read like an advertisement for high end Pearl Izumi gear.

Is there a cheaper way to stay warm during the winter? Winter bikers, what do you consider a must have set of clothes? I know about the importance of wicking but I don't who makes good, affordable stuff.

Aug 31, 2006
You can get some decent pieces at Target or Walmart.

As you know, synthetic is absolute. After that it's price and comfort. Start cheap, experiment, buy expensive the pieces (like pants) you require.

I assume you have or will get a good lighting system, yeah?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Can you give an example of what I might be able to find at Target?

I don't think I'll need a lighting system - I rarely ride after dark during the summer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Can you give an example of what I might be able to find at Target?

I don't think I'll need a lighting system - I rarely ride after dark during the summer.
Well, if you ride after work (assuming you work 9-5), lights are critical.

I have 2 Niterider systems, and usually one battery runs down on 3 hour (or longer rides).

Getting cycling tights is more important than the upper stuff. You could buy 5 pairs of thermal tops (not cotton) and 1 fairly tight windbreaker (so it does not flap in the wind) for half the price of a good winter jersey.

When I lived in Connecticut, I would wear a set of bib tights for temps over 20 degrees. When it was below, I would wear two sets of tights.

Here in Norcal, I usually just use knee warmers since temps rarely drop below 40. I have yet to wear any of my New England winter gear here.

The big thing is the feet. I also wear booties, but one good substitute is neoprene socks, especially if you do not wear clipless shoes. A pair of thin wool socks is also critical.

splat

Nam I am
Layers Layers and More Layers !! !

Feet -- Neoprene or seal skin Socks , WInter shoe or SHoe covers or Both
Legs -- Heavy tights , themal Underware as a base layer
Uper body- base layer a Good poly pro thermal shirt, 2 ,3 ,4 addational layerss ( I prefer multiple thin layers . top it off with a Wind breaker
hands -- Good Gloves !
Head -- I love Perfomances Hooded jerseys or get a Balacava, Skate/BMX helmet , they are cheap , and have little venting . Wool Neck warmer , Ski Googles.

Hands and Feet tend to get cold first and can make you misrible. also Watch your water , it will freeze!

I have used this or similar set up in rides at -10

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
layers...

typical layering for me

-under armour sleeveless T - synthetic
-patagonia light weight long sleeve T - synth
- light weight fleece - polartec 100 or similar
- and a wind proof layer... my raceface hoodlum hoodie does the trick...

worked out well for me... beat those chilly german evenings...

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
What others have said. My mid-winter road riding layering (which is a bigger deal than MTB, rarely do I build up the same speeds on the MTB in the dead of winter):

Craft skin-tight base layer
REI thermal base layer
Mock-turtleneck long sleeved cotton shirt
Pullover microfiber fleece vest
Sugoi Evolution bib shorts
Windblock Sugoi Subzero tights (I'm going to bibs this year)
Poly liner socks
Smartwool backcountry socks (on <25F, I'll throw a few heat packs above my toes, between the sock layers)
Duct tape my road shoe vents
PI AmFIB booties
Craft windblock balaclava (<20F), PI normal balaclava (<30F), PI helmet liner (<40F). I have a Mountain Hardware helmet liner that I throw on top of the Craft balaclava if it is below 10F.

Good gloves are extremely important. PI makes some great lobster mitts, with windblock.

Windblock stuff is tough to use offroad, because the speeds you are travelling compromise the breathability of the garment.

Good luck, keep warm, winter riding is a blast. I love it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Layer up as much as possible, avoid cotton as much as possible. I've had very good luck with EMS Techwick gear. It's cheaper that a lot of the better names, but for my money, it's just as good.

Get some silk thermal underwear for your base layer, then add a few more thin layers as necessary to keep you warm. Since you're in VA, I doubt you'll need any really heavy gear... but you'll have to experiement to find out what keeps you warm enough.

It's easy to think about legs/chest/arms... but don't forget about your feet, head, and hands. I wear the same full finger gloves in the winter that I do in the summer - that's fine for me. I wear heavy "performance" socks over my regular cycling socks. I wear one of those ear band things to keep my ears warm. I find that I need to leave my head uncovered to vent the heat my body generates, but some people I know swear by skull caps. I've tried the boot cover things for my feet, but the toe covers come off after even a little bit of walking. Not sure if I got crappy ones or if it's just the way they are, but I'd suck it up and pay the money for good winter shoes.

I typically wear...
  • Feet: regular riding socks, heavy "perfomance socks", regular mtb shoes, boot covers
  • Legs: regular padded shorts, silk thermals, techwick tights (if it's wet or windy I'll put a pair of windpants on as well
  • Upper Body: Compression T (think under armor stuff, but mine is cheaper stuff from Kohls or EMS), long sleeve techwich, Marmot fleece sweat shirt (I forget the weight, but I can check for you)
  • Hands: regular full fingered mtb gloves
  • Head: fleece earband thingy, regular helmet

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wear a nice winter jersey over a base layer (under armor) and some fleece-line Pearl Izumi pants. That said, it rarely gets below 20F in TN though. If it did, I wouldnt ride.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Virginia? Are you likely to get *any* cold weather? :confused: :p
I've lived in Georgia for the last 29 years so this will be like a frozen wasteland to me ;)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to start building a winter wardrobe so I have no excuse not to be out there in what *I* consider to be cold weather.