Quantcast

Prescription riding glasses?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Being old and blind I now want to get some prescription sunglasses for riding, looking for recommendations.

I've ridden with normal Smith Pivlock V90 Max for 5+ years now, swapping between the amber and dark lenses depending upon conditions. I love the big frameless lenses but nothing is leaping out from their prescription sunnies so looking for other suggestions.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like the optical quality on my prescription Oakleys. The Gascan (I think that's the name) have a huge lateral blind spot, though.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Being old and blind I now want to get some prescription sunglasses for riding, looking for recommendations.

I've ridden with normal Smith Pivlock V90 Max for 5+ years now, swapping between the amber and dark lenses depending upon conditions. I love the big frameless lenses but nothing is leaping out from their prescription sunnies so looking for other suggestions.
A friend of mine works in an optometrist office and they can fill Smith sunglasses with Rx lenses. If you liked your Pivlock's your local eye doc should be able to set you up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
zenni optical is a good source for cheap as shit prescription glasses. That being said, I have one pair that is quite nice and another that kind of gives me a headache (which I got for cycling). My eye doctor said they are manufactured correctly, so I don't have a good reason as to why. Either way, scoring a set of prescription sunnies with polarized lenses for 1/5 the cost of a brick and mortar store is pretty sweet. I got mirrored, polarized lens pilot sunglasses from them and they are solid. I also saw a frame they sell for $15 in a store for $120, so there's that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
zenni optical is a good source for cheap as shit prescription glasses. That being said, I have one pair that is quite nice and another that kind of gives me a headache (which I got for cycling). My eye doctor said they are manufactured correctly, so I don't have a good reason as to why. Either way, scoring a set of prescription sunnies with polarized lenses for 1/5 the cost of a brick and mortar store is pretty sweet. I got mirrored, polarized lens pilot sunglasses from them and they are solid. I also saw a frame they sell for $15 in a store for $120, so there's that.
I got a few pairs, one of the "sport glasses" pairs is just too curved, I can deal with it, but my eyes have to adjust and that takes a little time and is annoying for a bit, I have many other zenni frames though and they are fine.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
:stupid:

I've been using zenni for years for all my glasses. The pair I use for riding are just a regular pair of glasses that the arms curve enough to stay on my head (I'm not a huge fan of the "sport" style glasses). And if they break or fall off then it will only cost $25 to replace them.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
not to hijack your thread... But being old and blind I now want to get some longer arms for reading, so I’m also looking for recommendations.

I've been reading with normal length arms for 45+ years now, swapping between short sleeves and long depending on temperature and conditions. I love the tattoos on the models I have, but having trouble finding anything that really grabs me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll take a look at zenni to see what they offer, interchangeable like I currently use sound good too as I constantly swap between dark and amber day to day.

@Full Trucker maybe time to regress to the big print books from the kids section or advance to the big print section for seniors.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'll take a look at zenni to see what they offer, interchangeable like I currently use sound good too as I constantly swap between dark and amber day to day.

@Full Trucker maybe time to regress to the big print books from the kids section or advance to the big print section for seniors.
Only problem with interchangeable is that you have to pay for 2-3 pairs of lenses. I have clear, Amber, and dark.