Quantcast

Prescription Riding Glasses?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody else need prescription glasses to ride? I've historically used Oakely's with interchangeable lenses, just updating the lenses as needed. However mine are no longer available and I need to get new glasses at this point. I disdain the 80's style glasses that are prevalent right now, so Oakley is pretty much off the table now.
Anybody else make prescription sunglasses? Smith, Dragon, Spy, Zeal?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I wear a pair of smith sunnies, but I want something that's not full dark. I might go for some transitions...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
yep

I have two sets of lenses one full dark polarized and the other PhotoChomatic that goes from 7% to 90% dark in less than 30 seconds
That's too slow for DH purposes. I tend to just ride a given color for the whole ride; I just pick early on. But tend to end up clear or red.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Zenni Optical, cheap ass glasses that I can afford to damage while riding. Most of the "sports glasses" use dumbass inserts, which makes fogging even worse than just having glasses or goggles, but they make a few setups that do not use inserts. I have a clear pair, and an orange pair, they rock. I have a bunch of other glasses from them. My dad used to work and order glasses in the Navy, then worked for a time for David Lee Roth's father, who was an optometrist or ophthalmologist or something, glasses are dirt cheap, like soda and beer, marked up about 30x times what it costs to make them.

The specific model I got now (I wear them as everyday glasses too) is actually the first that fits well under OTG goggles. They usually end up being too wide IME. We have a lot of very very dark woods and you go from bright sunlight to dark real fast. Gotta choose which to bring based on the conditions that day. Sometimes no tint, sometimes the orange, every once and a while darker grey.

I've had fancy oakley, titanium, whatever.

Glasses are a racket IME. Also, do not recommend the oil-resistant coating. It still gets oil on it and it's a bitch to clean, the oil seems to "stick" persistently, just smearing when you try to clean.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Anybody else need prescription glasses to ride? I've historically used Oakely's with interchangeable lenses, just updating the lenses as needed. However mine are no longer available and I need to get new glasses at this point. I disdain the 80's style glasses that are prevalent right now, so Oakley is pretty much off the table now.
Anybody else make prescription sunglasses? Smith, Dragon, Spy, Zeal?
No surprise there, they were bought out by a company that makes pretty much everything in China and controls production to retail.
I'd love to know how much they'd make when someone pays full retail in a Luxxotica owned store on a new pair of Choakleys.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They may not be your style, but I have a pair of pit vipers and quite like then. I'm not a huge fan of the styling myself, but I got over that when I realized how well they actually performed, but more importantly are actually adjustable to get the fit dialed. They're also nice and large, so many glasses are simply too small for me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Zenni Optical, cheap ass glasses that I can afford to damage while riding. Most of the "sports glasses" use dumbass inserts, which makes fogging even worse than just having glasses or goggles, but they make a few setups that do not use inserts. I have a clear pair, and an orange pair, they rock. I have a bunch of other glasses from them. My dad used to work and order glasses in the Navy, then worked for a time for David Lee Roth's father, who was an optometrist or ophthalmologist or something, glasses are dirt cheap, like soda and beer, marked up about 30x times what it costs to make them.

The specific model I got now (I wear them as everyday glasses too) is actually the first that fits well under OTG goggles. They usually end up being too wide IME. We have a lot of very very dark woods and you go from bright sunlight to dark real fast. Gotta choose which to bring based on the conditions that day. Sometimes no tint, sometimes the orange, every once and a while darker grey.

Glasses are a racket IME. Also, do not recommend the oil-resistant coating. It still gets oil on it and it's a bitch to clean, the oil seems to "stick" persistently, just smearing when you try to clean.
One of my normal pairs is Zenni, I'll check them for riding glasses. I think I agree with the oil-resistant coating, they seem worse than my other lenses to keep clean.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Good call on Zenni. Super cost effective for my normal glasses so I can focus funds on the sunglasses.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They may not be your style, but I have a pair of pit vipers and quite like then. I'm not a huge fan of the styling myself, but I got over that when I realized how well they actually performed, but more importantly are actually adjustable to get the fit dialed. They're also nice and large, so many glasses are simply too small for me.

k

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Zenni is good, they have shedloads of different styles and aren't that expensive. I think I paid around $100 for a pair of aviators with green mirror polarized prescription lenses. I also got a different pair that hurts my eyes every time I wear them, so I don't wear them anymore. I love the oleophobic coating- resists fingerprints well.

On a not quite related note, I grabbed a pair of generic chinese sunglasses (Rockbros on Amazon) and they came with an insert for prescription lenses. They didn't come with lenses, so I'm guessing that your optometrist just has generic lenses they can cut? Either way, they were $20 so if Walmart can cut a pair of lenses for $20 then you'd be good to go for at least a little while.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
25% off at Tifosi for Labor Day

edit: looks like for prescription they bounce you to sportrx.com and likely no 25% off... I bought my Smith Transfer XL's from them and they do have a sale on...

Last edited: