Quantcast

Present for you... from a cheap bastard.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just want to put this out there for you guys. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I've got my secrets to scoring stuff for cheap. I've told Nick and a few others about it, but I figured at some point I should help you jackasses out. Think of it this way, the money you save is a) money for bikes or, b) money you can actually save. Being the Moneky, I recommend option b.

Here's the deal:
1. Have a perks credit card.
2. www.cardpool.com --> Buy gift card at discount, using your perks card.
You now have giftcards to the store you want to buy stuff from.
3. Go to Fatwallet and create a login: http://www.fatwallet.com/?referral=stoney98 (I get a kick, not going to hide it)
4. Once created, search for the website you want to buy from and link to it through Fatwallet.
5. See if there are any online sales or coupons available for the retailer.
6a. Order your isht.
6b. If the store has free shipping to the store, send it there. Don't pay for shipping.
7. Get your new toys that you paid way less for and enjoy.
8. 90-days later, go back to Fatwallet and send the cashback to your Paypal or as a check.

It's a bunch of extra steps, but it saves some coin.

Example: I just bought a bunch of stuff for Layla.
1. Bought $200 in Petco gift cards for $170 (15% discount)
(skipped 2-4)
5. 3% cashback from Petco, found $5 off $25 online only coupon.
6. Ordered my stuff - $100. I get $20 off because of the coupon.
6b. Free shipping because of the amount I ordered, otherwise I would have sent to the store.
7. Should be here by Friday

How the numbers line up:
$170 in Southwest points for spending money I was going to anyways.
$100 less $20 (online coupon) =$80
$80 at 3% cashback = $2.40
$80 at 15% discount = $12
------
Total spent on transaction: $65.60 (34.4% discount) for $100 in stuff

That leaves me ~$35 to spend on other crap. I would have spent this money anyways. I'm able to put this money towards other things I was planning on getting anyways, like getting a set of aero wheels for the tri bike.

I do the same stuff for everything: Target (everything), Discount Tire (3% back on $600 tires for the //M), Safeway (Cardpool only), etc.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself money, by doing nothing but a few extra clicks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Or i can do this and have to work 30% less to get to the same place. I'll take the less work option.
Whatever floats your boat, I know there are a lot of people who like to work the system to save money. I prefer other methods.

I'll just save 100% by not spending any money.

Unless you can do this for old car parts and crack babies.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't care either way. Just telling some guys at work and thought some of the non-ballets would appreciate it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Whatever floats your boat, I know there are a lot of people who like to work the system to save money. I prefer other methods.

I'll just save 100% by not spending any money.

Unless you can do this for old car parts and crack babies.
I still buy a lot of my car parts used, but some things you need to buy new. Tires, food, dog food, etc. When i need to buy stuff, i try to maximize my cash.

When i needed new goggles, i bought Sports Authority gift cards, waited for a coupon, etc. I spent $10 on a $20 set of goggles. That was $10 i was able to drop into savings.

The reality is, most people don't do the simple things to save money. If we can spend less to live the same way, that's more time we don't need to work. If i can spend 2 min and save 20 min worth of work, I'll do it. Plus, the more i work, the more i pay in taxes, which means i have to work even longer to equalize what i am spending. Win-win.

You guys might not need the money, but if i can save a few hundred or a thousand a year by making a few clicks, I'll do it.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I still buy a lot of my car parts used, but some things you need to buy new. Tires, food, dog food, etc. When i need to buy stuff, i try to maximize my cash.

When i needed new goggles, i bought Sports Authority gift cards, waited for a coupon, etc. I spent $10 on a $20 set of goggles. That was $10 i was able to drop into savings.

The reality is, most people don't do the simple things to save money. If we can spend less to live the same way, that's more time we don't need to work. If i can spend 2 min and save 20 min worth of work, I'll do it. Plus, the more i work, the more i pay in taxes, which means i have to work even longer to equalize what i am spending. Win-win.

You guys might not need the money, but if i can save a few hundred or a thousand a year by making a few clicks, I'll do it.
No one's required to maintain a revolving bank account in order to allow Money to mature. Doing what you advize to 'save' is an immature way to continue liquidity. It is impulse-spending, offsetting impulse spending.
Can you imagine a society which defaults on Bank Infrastructure and Commerce in order to increase cash on hand?? Oh, wait...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
*facepalm* I hope that some people take advantage of this. Basic concept is if you know you need to spend $X at a store, but can find a way to do that for $Y, then you save $X-$Y. At the end of the day, the money out of your wallet is less. What you do with the rest is up to you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is way too much work and thinking to bother. I'm the type of idiot that buys a set of tires and then forgets to send in the mail in rebate for a free tire. I guess you can spend too much time in the bong shed.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The pool off the bong shed will be done Wednesday. the barn doors leads to bike trails.... I am making the green house into a Hydroponic Garden. The Garage will be my new bike shop. The OPP station is 2 driveways away however.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
*facepalm* I hope that some people take advantage of this. Basic concept is if you know you need to spend $X at a store, but can find a way to do that for $Y, then you save $X-$Y. At the end of the day, the money out of your wallet is less. What you do with the rest is up to you.

What do you really need?

After a proper bong shed that is.