Quantcast

Present for you... from a cheap bastard.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I hunt down the best deals and get 2% cash back on my Fidelity Amex which all goes into an IRA. I save less but I don't spend what I save :)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I hunt down the best deals and get 2% cash back on my Fidelity Amex which all goes into an IRA. I save less but I don't spend what I save :)
Buy gift card with perks card, get points. Use said discounted gift card to buy item at discount. 2% + Discount.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I do appreciate it, but i think it comes down to laziness for most of us.
Lots of people get a kick out of this stuff, apparently not the majority of RM members. :rofl: Thanks for sharing because it may help me when I'm paying enough attention

One thing I just learned is buying 10 percent off coupons for Lowes on eBay (moving coupons from real estate agents) I think 5 for $6. The coupon codes are emailed within 5min. Sounds sketch, but just saved a couple hundred on a big house purchase...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just want to put this out there for you guys. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I've got my secrets to scoring stuff for cheap. I've told Nick and a few others about it, but I figured at some point I should help you jackasses out. Think of it this way, the money you save is a) money for bikes or, b) money you can actually save. Being the Moneky, I recommend option b.

Here's the deal:
1. Have a perks credit card.
2. www.cardpool.com --> Buy gift card at discount, using your perks card.
You now have giftcards to the store you want to buy stuff from.
3. Go to Fatwallet and create a login: http://www.fatwallet.com/?referral=stoney98 (I get a kick, not going to hide it)
4. Once created, search for the website you want to buy from and link to it through Fatwallet.
5. See if there are any online sales or coupons available for the retailer.
6a. Order your isht.
6b. If the store has free shipping to the store, send it there. Don't pay for shipping.
7. Get your new toys that you paid way less for and enjoy.
8. 90-days later, go back to Fatwallet and send the cashback to your Paypal or as a check.

It's a bunch of extra steps, but it saves some coin.

Example: I just bought a bunch of stuff for Layla.
1. Bought $200 in Petco gift cards for $170 (15% discount)
(skipped 2-4)
5. 3% cashback from Petco, found $5 off $25 online only coupon.
6. Ordered my stuff - $100. I get $20 off because of the coupon.
6b. Free shipping because of the amount I ordered, otherwise I would have sent to the store.
7. Should be here by Friday

How the numbers line up:
$170 in Southwest points for spending money I was going to anyways.
$100 less $20 (online coupon) =$80
$80 at 3% cashback = $2.40
$80 at 15% discount = $12
------
Total spent on transaction: $65.60 (34.4% discount) for $100 in stuff

That leaves me ~$35 to spend on other crap. I would have spent this money anyways. I'm able to put this money towards other things I was planning on getting anyways, like getting a set of aero wheels for the tri bike.

I do the same stuff for everything: Target (everything), Discount Tire (3% back on $600 tires for the //M), Safeway (Cardpool only), etc.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself money, by doing nothing but a few extra clicks.
Too lazy to do this on small purchases but I feel like I'll try it for a big item.

Along the same line my brother had a good "scam" going on with airline rewards cards. He got about 9 of them and used them to pay his law school tuition. He got tons of miles on top of the signup bonuses for each card. He payed off the cards with his loans and then canceled them after the mandatory time period.

He managed to get an essentially free trip to Bali and Thailand for his efforts

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Along the same line my brother had a good "scam" going on with airline rewards cards. He got about 9 of them and used them to pay his law school tuition. He got tons of miles on top of the signup bonuses for each card. He payed off the cards with his loans and then canceled them after the mandatory time period.

He managed to get an essentially free trip to Bali and Thailand for his efforts
You should look up "credit card churning" - some people make thousands of dollars a year opening and closing credit accounts for bonuses.

I'm not quite at that point but I have 4 cards that all have different bonuses attached to purchases. I use all of them to get the maximum points and cash in a couple thousand bucks per year without paying any interest. I've also cycled through a few sign-up bonuses - all at least $300 just for opening the card and meeting a spending limit.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This thread has inspired me. On this evening's trail ride I noticed some smooth, rounded river rocks and have decided to sell them on ebay as rare petrified potatoes. I'm gonna be rich !
Only if you can make Vodka from them. Only Jeebus can make Vodka from rare petrified potatoes. Ask Westy he knows stuff. But be careful so he doesn't abscond with your idea....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't kill people, the second law of thermodynamics does. We are all agents of entropy, but instead of fighting it I have learned to relish this role.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does this count?

93.2% of all of my boxers have more holes in them than Swiss cheese. A 3 pack of my preferred Fruit of the Loom boxers on Amazon is $18.37. I just purchased two packs, for $21.52 with shipping (free) and taxes ($4.78). I signed up for one of their credit cards and got a $20 gift card for doing so. Win win?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Does this count?

93.2% of all of my boxers have more holes in them than Swiss cheese. A 3 pack of my preferred Fruit of the Loom boxers on Amazon is $18.37. I just purchased two packs, for $21.52 with shipping (free) and taxes ($4.78). I signed up for one of their credit cards and got a $20 gift card for doing so. Win win?
$20 sign on bonus for a hard credit pull is bush league, son.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But but but free undies! This card has better rewards than what my bank will give me, so I think it'll be a good switch.

Can't wait to have hole free underwear! :banana:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Does this count?

I had this problem. Glitter destroys your underwear. It is after all highly abrasive. Cut back on glitter and you will find the savings to be tangible enough so that you won't need to dick around with new cards every 11 months. The added health benefits will allow you to pursue better breakfast options also.