Quantcast

pressing pivot bearings

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone know of an easy way to press pivot bearings into a frame (05 gemini)? I dont have all my tools at school and i dont wanna pay 20 bucks to have some shop do it for me, cause frankly i have never had to have other people work on my bikes.
________
Ferrari america specifications

Last edited:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
A big C clamp and somthing that is the diameter of the bushing so you can get it in there all the way. (possibly quarters or some old pipe)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Washers, threaded rod, and some nuts. You can use this too as a headset press if your desperate. I've always popped in new pivot bearings this way. Maybe $5-7 worth of nuts/washers and a threaded rod at OSH or Home Improvement, but has always allowed not pounding them in, everything goes in even and smooth.

OR a C-clamp if you can find one that will fit where you need it. Just make sure things go in evenly and stright. Take it slow, don't rush. You might want to green loctite or put some lube on the outside of the bearings incase you ever want them to come back out. I put a small flim of greese on them before pressing in. I guess it all depends on your frame and such though (whatever they call for).

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'd go with the bolt/washer method. IME C-clamps can deform under the pressure required to press a bearing in causing it to start in crooked.

I've also used a socket about the same diameter as the outer race of the bearing and tapped it in with a plastic faced hammer.

Mike

mammothpunks

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Mammoth
for my giant i usually use some sockets the same size as the bearing and use a table mounted vise to push them in/out. i have tried with c-clamps but it is a lot easier with a big vise because you dont have the side to side play that can make the bearing go in crooked

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Dartman said:
I'd go with the bolt/washer method. IME C-clamps can deform under the pressure required to press a bearing in causing it to start in crooked.

I've also used a socket about the same diameter as the outer race of the bearing and tapped it in with a plastic faced hammer.

Mike
yeah the c-clamp method can be dangerous, most clamps have a spherical pivoting head and it can be hard to aligh really tight fits (lighter fits can be tapped with a hammer anyways).

I like the sockets with threaded rodes; the hardened steel sockets wont deform like washers.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
A little heat on the stay/linkage..whatever and they slide right in.

If you have a shop light just lay the bulb on the cavity for 10 minutes and they'll go in much easier.

Tourches need not apply!