Quantcast

pressing pivot bearings

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by gemini2k, Sep 26, 2005.

1. gemini2k

gemini2k Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 101
    Anyone know of an easy way to press pivot bearings into a frame (05 gemini)? I dont have all my tools at school and i dont wanna pay 20 bucks to have some shop do it for me, cause frankly i have never had to have other people work on my bikes.
    ________
    Ferrari america specifications

#1 -   Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mack

mack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    A big C clamp and somthing that is the diameter of the bushing so you can get it in there all the way. (possibly quarters or some old pipe)

3. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    c-clamp idea works great...

mack, whats up with your avatar?

4. Spunger

Spunger Git yer dumb questions here

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Washers, threaded rod, and some nuts. You can use this too as a headset press if your desperate. I've always popped in new pivot bearings this way. Maybe $5-7 worth of nuts/washers and a threaded rod at OSH or Home Improvement, but has always allowed not pounding them in, everything goes in even and smooth.

OR a C-clamp if you can find one that will fit where you need it. Just make sure things go in evenly and stright. Take it slow, don't rush. You might want to green loctite or put some lube on the outside of the bearings incase you ever want them to come back out. I put a small flim of greese on them before pressing in. I guess it all depends on your frame and such though (whatever they call for).

5. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I'd go with the bolt/washer method. IME C-clamps can deform under the pressure required to press a bearing in causing it to start in crooked.

I've also used a socket about the same diameter as the outer race of the bearing and tapped it in with a plastic faced hammer.

Mike

6. mammothpunks

mammothpunks Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    for my giant i usually use some sockets the same size as the bearing and use a table mounted vise to push them in/out. i have tried with c-clamps but it is a lot easier with a big vise because you dont have the side to side play that can make the bearing go in crooked

7. zedro

zedro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    yeah the c-clamp method can be dangerous, most clamps have a spherical pivoting head and it can be hard to aligh really tight fits (lighter fits can be tapped with a hammer anyways).

I like the sockets with threaded rodes; the hardened steel sockets wont deform like washers.

8. offtheedge

offtheedge Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    A little heat on the stay/linkage..whatever and they slide right in.

If you have a shop light just lay the bulb on the cavity for 10 minutes and they'll go in much easier.

Tourches need not apply!