Quantcast

pressure gauges

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looking for something decent that's not outrageously priced. accu-gauge caught my eye, as they are available presta specific and have a bleeder. anyone have experience? other suggestions?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does it matter? You only use a pressure gauge to set a baseline IME, you have to vary by trails, obstacles and temperature. 25psi in one place doesn't work in others IME (both ways, sometimes too hard, sometimes too soft).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does it matter? You only use a pressure gauge to set a baseline IME, you have to vary by trails, obstacles and temperature. 25psi in one place doesn't work in others IME (both ways, sometimes too hard, sometimes too soft).
yea, and that's why pressure gauges read different values.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yea, and that's why pressure gauges read different values.
What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what kind of gauge you use really, whether it's an accu-gauge or something on the pump. None of them should be "wandering" that much, you just figure out what your base-line is and adjust from there. Doesn't take a special pump. I go by my hand-feel pushing down on it and gauging how close it comes to bottoming/pinching. I travel with my bike and then still adjust depending on the exact location (like RR vs. Tiger). I usually count the number of strokes with my mini-pump to help out for on the trail, so I have a general idea of how many it takes to get into "the ballpark".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what kind of gauge you use really, whether it's an accu-gauge or something on the pump. None of them should be "wandering" that much, you just figure out what your base-line is and adjust from there. Doesn't take a special pump. I go by my hand-feel pushing down on it and gauging how close it comes to bottoming/pinching. I travel with my bike and then still adjust depending on the exact location (like RR vs. Tiger). I usually count the number of strokes with my mini-pump to help out for on the trail, so I have a general idea of how many it takes to get into "the ballpark".
i hear ya, and historically that's how i've done it - pump gauge, then by feel. but i installed a set of tire inserts so i can now run a little lower pressure, and want to start experimenting a bit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We use the 60 psi one on our trail/HT/DH bikes and the 15psi one on the fatty's.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have an SKS digital gauge that works great. Works for presta and shraeder without fiddling with extra parts. I use it on bikes, motos, cars, whatever.
I tried two of those, the battery would be flat every time I came to use them. Gave up and bought the analogue ones I linked above.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think @6thElement must have gotten a dud. I've never had to replace the battery in mine, and I never am careful to turn it off when done (it turns off automatically).
I thought I'd got a dud, so I replaced it and had the same occur. Flat, swap the battery and then flat again next time I wanted to use it. Maybe I'll try again at some point if I've a spare cr2032 battery or whatever type it is they use.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've looked into this, and have been running gauges from McMaster for a long time. You can get a 0-60 psi with 1psi increment gauge. And when somebody breaks it trying to fill up a road bike tire or seat a tubeless tire, they're cheap and easy to replace. Pro tip: get a snubber as well, and seating tubeless tires is less likely to damage the gauge.

This is the specific one I use: https://www.mcmaster.com/3847k72-3847K53

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I use a Topeak smart gauge d2 everyday and have for two or more years (I have the first gen). I cut a spot in my tool box foam, I like it so much. I went through two skf digital gauges one stoped working and the other clogged with sealant and can’t be taken apart.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I prefer the Accu-gage over anything digital. The digital ones are OK for trail duties because small and light, otherwise meh for me.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I always set my tire pressure as accurately as possible with a gauge, then 100 feet into a trail I bleed some air out by feel.
I used to ride trials on motorcycles, would ask people what psi to run in the rear, everyone said a number, nobody ever owned a gauge.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It seems an almost never-ending stream of newbies asking what pressure they should run on the snow trails (and ruts forming because idiots are running around with 12psi rock hard fat-tires). These people can't seem to wean off having to have a "number" for pressure, so to settle this, I hooked up my pump gauge and took a picture. This is how much pressure I run.
132314062_10102215708858878_6368174853308616026_n.jpg

It seems an almost never-ending stream of newbies asking what pressure they should run on the snow trails (and ruts forming because idiots are running around with 12psi rock hard fat-tires). These people can't seem to wean off having to have a "number" for pressure, so to settle this, I hooked up my pump gauge and took a picture. This is how much pressure I run. View attachment 153901
One of the MTBNJ people who rides the Iditarod rides sometimes having removed his valve stems.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well evidently there's a whole subset of people that can't ride their bike without an air pressure recommendation, as if one works for all conditions and you can't feel what's going on. The issue is that this is like the #1 rule to fatbiking on snow, there is no set pressure, it depends on the conditions, softer conditions keep the casing from folding and allow for less pressure, which in turn brings more traction. Think for yourselves people!

what-about-bob.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I use a Topeak smart gauge d2 everyday and have for two or more years (I have the first gen). I cut a spot in my tool box foam, I like it so much. I went through two skf digital gauges one stoped working and the other clogged with sealant and can’t be taken apart.
I have one of these, I think I have only ever put one battery in it and it still works, it would have to be pushing ten years old I think.
I bought it before I became a hipster, I wouldn't buy another digital gauge.
1608635156404.png

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I recently bought this thing and it's just okay. Primary issue (that I expect to get razzed about) is it's simply way to high of a range. I like the look of that Accu-gage 60psi one, though I do think for the trail bikes the 30psi one might be fine for me as I think I generally run 24-28psi in the tires on either trail bike. I wish I'd seen this thread prior to buying the one I have, that's for sure.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I recently bought this thing and it's just okay. Primary issue (that I expect to get razzed about) is it's simply way to high of a range. I like the look of that Accu-gage 60psi one, though I do think for the trail bikes the 30psi one might be fine for me as I think I generally run 24-28psi in the tires on either trail bike. I wish I'd seen this thread prior to buying the one I have, that's for sure.
They need a 40psi version, 30psi you're too high up in its range IMO, that's why I got the 60.