Quantcast

Presta valves

azalgee

Chimp
Jan 11, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Well, who knew? I have an old Specialized Enduro with a slow leak in the tire from a goathead. Doing some research online, I found that there are some Presra valve stems with a removable core so you can add tire slime, and mine had one of those!

I don't know why the guy at the bike shop didn't give me this little piece of information when he told me he could put slime in. I guess he didn't put enough, or else his product just wasn't as good as the old green slime.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You will have to keep adding air in the tires and occasionally slime. This does work, but it doesn't work as well as tubeless, where they tend to seal up easier with less effort and less weight. It's not uncommon to find your tires flat with thorns AND slime in there, airing up usually works, but it becomes a pain after a while pumping that stuff through a narrow presta. Again, it works, but tubeless was especially a revelation to those in the AZ valley areas, simply a paradigm shift in how they were able to ride with no fear of thorns or spines.

azalgee

Chimp
Jan 11, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks! Still contemplating between tubes and tubeless on the new bike.
Seems like the tubeless can be quite messy with the sealant inside and you have to replace it more often. Where does it go? Does it dry up in there, or slowly leak out in the tubeless?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks! Still contemplating between tubes and tubeless on the new bike.
Seems like the tubeless can be quite messy with the sealant inside and you have to replace it more often. Where does it go? Does it dry up in there, or slowly leak out in the tubeless?
If you are really riding in thorns where you need slime, you will be replacing both. Both dry out. When slime seals, it leaks out a bit to do so, tubeless sealant doesn't seem to leak out as much, but it dries out in that environment. Adding more helps keep it solvent and avoids dried deposits. Should physically check it every month or two by popping the bead. Both can be quite messy. Both can be pretty clean if you are careful.

azalgee

Chimp
Jan 11, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Seems that most recommend tubeless so far.
I try to avoid thorns, but occasionally find a goat head or two in my tires, and I just want that to seal itself up with slime. It's worked well for me in tubes thus far.