Quantcast

Preston FR questions

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
So, I am seriously considering selling my well-equipped Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho downhill sled and replacing it with the Preston FR since I rarely get to ride pure downhill and I want something I can actually pedal up a hill. I know the Preston is good to go for the Shore and SST, is it a viable option for Whistler as well? Has anyone tried the air shock option on it, or is the coil-over the way to go? And lastly, how heavy is it once built? Thanks in advance!

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
check out the bottle rocket too. the preston would work for whistler, but the bottle rocket would be more suited to it. it all dpends on how much big riding you are going to do.

more trails = preston
more jumps = bottlerocket.

my .02

Kyle,

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Realisticly, I tend to ride more trails and less stunts, and going big never (6' and under is my range) so I think the Preston is the way to go. I got the DH bike because I was planning on hitting Cypress bike park once or twice a month this summer and on doing Whistler as well, but with Cypres closed and only two trips to Whistler planned, a 50lb monster seems like overkill.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
If you do more trail riding, the preston is the way to go. Personally i like the preston more than the bottle rocket; especially for trail riding. As long as you put the right fork on it, whistler will be no problem for the majority of the trails.

If you havent jumped on a preston, i'd suggest you do. Once you do, you'll know if it's the bike for you. Thats all it took for me. AFter riding a big bike which was overkill for a year or so, the preston felt really responsive and poppy off the jumps. its lightweight is something that really helps when you're doing trail riding as you can throw the bike around pretty easily. Especially if you set the bike up to be light weight.

I have the coil shock and can't complain about it. I ordered the air, but recieved the coil and i guess i'm stuck with it. With that, if you do decide to get a preston, make sure to order it straight from Kyle and kevin. Do not order if from any bike shop, no matter what anyone tells you. You will regret it if you do.

And if you don't know someone who has one to try out, you can always come out to the marginal trail during the week and jump on mine. It's a medium though.