Quantcast

Pretty sure i am buying this bike (a 29"er)

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
N8 said:
Jesse LaLonde of Madison, Wisconsin wins SSWC's on a rigid Gary Fisher RIG w/ 29" wheels...
Wrong again. :devil: Jesse was first on the bike but did not take the championship. He's got a funny little write up about it on his web site.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
...means nothing at all. A lot of pros run a Sid Carbon, too, and that doesn't make it a stiff fork. There are plenty of reasons that pros have for choosing their equipment, and typically, weight and sponsership are at the top of the list.

I don't know what kind of damper the fork uses, as I haven't looked into it much, but the phenomenon the guy is describing of the damper working better when the fork is dropped to 2" mode, and thus associating it with how the fork will act in the last part of the travel of 5" mode, sounds inaccurate if it uses any kind of normal cartridge damper. How it's acting in 2" mode doesn't represent how it acts in the last 2" of the 5" mode.

If it uses some kind of floating piston, like TPC+, it might be true, but I can't find any evidence that it does.
Well, I can't personally comment on the fork since I haven't ridden it yet. All the commentary I posted is from a guy who owns one and has ridden on it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Not so - 29er forks have less travel compared to standard ones. I think 100mm is the max for 29er forks and most are 80mm.
Well, actually, what you're saying is true, but the travel isn't reduced in the same way that a fork built for a 26" wheel is. The travel is being limited in order to keep the crowns from hitting the oversized wheel, so the spacers are being added at the other side of the damper - that is, it's basically making a big bottom out bumper, instead of reducing the ride height of the fork. So, the fork on a 29" is going to be longer.

who's to say it won't be stiff enough for the intended purposes of a bike like that (which leans more towards the 29er FS race bike spectrum, if you ask me)?
It might be, but more to the point, it may be stiff enough for N8 - obviously, people have varying sensitivities to stiffness. It will, however, be much less stiff than a comperable non-inverted fork, that's all.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:
An inverted single crown, at less than 4 pounds, with that pinner arch on it will make for a pretty flimsy fork. It may ride great, but it just isn't going to be very stiff. The Shiver SC was almost universally panned as being a pretty flexy fork, and it was up around the 5.5 lb. range.
My experience with the SC is different than yours. I rode the rage in the sage race course at Hartman Rocks with one in June. I found it to be a good fork overall. It is more flexy than my Talas but comparable to my old Minute 2.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
Sept 4th then I get a chance to check it out in person and test ride it...

I'm *not* stosh
:rolleyes:
Hey at least I photoshop myself into pics, the only pics we see of you are when you're mixing cosmopolitans for your metrosexual friends.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
Hey at least I photoshop myself into pics, the only pics we see of you are when you're mixing cosmopolitans for your metrosexual friends.

I donno... there was a pic of my pastie white self riding the Ouatchita Challenge last year... :dead: