Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The reflected shade near midline is unnervingly close to nude-color

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is it allroad or road ti?
The latter.

Still need a couple of small parts, crown race and seatpost clamp, that they didn't have in stock when they shipped the frame (I asked for them to ship the parts later). Wheels aren't due from Lightbicycle until late Jan too :(

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Sick, can't wait to see it. That was on my radar but I went a different direction and picked up an SL8 frameset.

Which rims did you choose?

Tough time of year to get a new road bike, it's been wet and cold most weekends around here.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Sick, can't wait to see it. That was on my radar but I went a different direction and picked up an SL8 frameset.

Which rims did you choose?

Tough time of year to get a new road bike, it's been wet and cold most weekends around here.
I looked at several frames, SL8 came close in the Satin Blue color. But decided to get this as it's something different. Whilst I like riding fast, the extra couple of lb's in frameset versus the SL8 isn't going to matter in the long run as I don't road race and I love my Ti hardtail that's 13+ years old now so I'm keen to get it built.

Ordered wheels are AR465's on 240 EXP's. Never had any issues with the R45/240's I had on the Cervelo S3 I just sold and I do too much climbing and then strong winds on the downhills to want anything deeper. The amount I was able to pick up the groupset for, it was a crime versus the original selling price now that the new version is so anticipated. I'm prepared to eat my words, but other that slightly lighter, I'm not expecting much difference from the existing 12 speed stuff.

20231212_121720.jpg

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Nice, can't wait to see pics of the build. I've been riding the WR45s on 240s (the old style) for years and they've done everything I've asked and done it well. Pictures of deeper rims always make me start looking at other options, but I have no real reason for that. I don't race either, and 45mm is a great depth for all around.

That groupset should make up some weight difference vs. a Force build. I min/maxed and went with Rival shifters and Force for everything else. Didn't really occur to me to wait for better prices on Red, nice score.

I bought the satin blue frame. I've never had a light bike, and wanted something lighter/faster/more aero than what I had. So far so good and no regrets. But, I'll probably be jealous as I see more pics of these Road Tis in the wild, they looks so badass.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can I ask what the allure is of these frames? They appear to be overseas made ti frames. Not that it isn't awesome looking, but still. Just curious.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
overseas made
Same as pretty much everything else :)

As much as I wouldn't want cable tourism on a mtb, it does look good on a roadbike and this ticked a few boxes that appealed other than just looks. Although I need to work out what bike case to get as wife and I are flying on our first ever road bike vacation in a few months and the integrated cables/one piece bar/stem won't work with what I've currently got.

It's UDH so getting a hanger if I ever need one won't be an issue and external T47, so nice big bearing for 30mm/DUB axle. I ruled out a few frames I liked as they were BB86, so not ideal for DUB.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have my frustrations with SRAM, but the UDH hanger is pretty cool, and T47 is brilliant compared to all the other nonsense.

The frame looks gorgeous, just wondering what the draw was.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My final choice came down to an SL8 or this. The geo is pretty much a copy of the SL7/SL8 so I decided to go with something different than the crowd, sorry @amishmatt :D

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you just got a Reeb now for squish, sold the plastic Ibis?

It is currently a spare parts organizer. I am better at buying things than I am at selling them. But I need to sell it. I just want some parts off of it like the wheels and drivetrain.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Holy shitballs. Trying to squeeze the T47 BB tube past the brake hose in the BB shell was a pain in the balls. It took longer to get it in place on this one bike than every other BB install I've ever done combined. My Cervelo was internal past the BB, but that was a huge carbon BB area versus this Ti shell.

Then the internal cabling through the headset and fully inside the bars was a world of fun too. Needed to get wifey to help as it wasn't possible with just two hands.

Remaining:
  • Cut hoses to length and reconnect to brifters
  • Bar tape
  • Chain
  • index gears
  • Wheels
  • ???
  • Profit

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
FWIW, the SL8 was a super easy build. Plenty of room in the bb and the headset routing is well thought out and simple. Just making myself feel better about my purchase, haha. Bike looks great!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
FWIW, the SL8 was a super easy build. Plenty of room in the bb and the headset routing is well thought out and simple. Just making myself feel better about my purchase, haha. Bike looks great!
Headset stuff wasn't "too" bad, But no way would I want it on a MTB. It was getting the hoses through the one piece bar/stem that was more fiddly - trying to get the hose to pop out the exit hole near the brifter, rather than continuing toward the bar end.

Really wished I'd been able to ride it this past weekend in the nicer weather....soon!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Nice, can't wait to see pics of the build. I've been riding the WR45s on 240s (the old style) for years and they've done everything I've asked and done it well. Pictures of deeper rims always make me start looking at other options, but I have no real reason for that. I don't race either, and 45mm is a great depth for all around.

That groupset should make up some weight difference vs. a Force build. I min/maxed and went with Rival shifters and Force for everything else. Didn't really occur to me to wait for better prices on Red, nice score.

I bought the satin blue frame. I've never had a light bike, and wanted something lighter/faster/more aero than what I had. So far so good and no regrets. But, I'll probably be jealous as I see more pics of these Road Tis in the wild, they looks so badass.
These AR375/AR465 for my wife and my set of AR465 for me were the easiest tubeless install I've ever had.

The R35 and R45 rims always scared me that if I punctured, then needing to install a tube at the side of the road would be a mammoth task. Thankfully zero punctures since I got the first set in early 2019.

Installing a fresh 25mm GP5000 (old type) onto the old rims at home was a huge pain. Installing 4x new type 28mm GP5000's on to these didn't even need a tyre lever, let alone two levers and two people like my old sets. Then they aired right up with my road track pump, not a HV pump and didn't need to set one bead with a tube first. I got the rims without internal spoke holes, so akin to old UST rims, no tape to worry about. All four held air last night without sealant and don't seem to have lost any pressure.

last thing on the install is putting on the chain and tuning the gears, hopefully this evening.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Nice. My WR35/45s are a cinch to set up tubeless. I use tape, since I have spoke holes, but the rest is the same even with the tubeless GP5000s. Standard floor pump, sometimes I use a tire lever because I'm lazy, but I can mount them without. They're snug, but not too tight to remove by hand. My 28s fill out to over 30mm on these rims and I'm running 58psi on the Tarmac.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
First shakedown ride today, 34miles/3700ft. Super happy with the geo and how it felt descending - hit 40mph 8 minutes into the ride, then remembered I needed to bed in the pads. Hit 40 a few times, topped out at 44mph a little later into the ride without giving it the beans and felt more stable than I was on my Cervelo that I'd had for 5 years. Minor snafu that I'd connected my computer to my wife's PM, rather than mine and only noticed a couple of hours into the ride.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I was thinking more the diameter that looks off. The headtube is not tapered just because of the integration of the brake line, or?
IMO Lynskey has solved that in a more aesthetically pleasing way.