Quantcast

Price of gas up to $7.00 a gallon

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i will certainly still drive, but i will also take a harder look at carpooling and riding to work, as well as likely curtailing unnecessary trips.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
N8 said:
From IRB's post in another thread:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm?cnn=yes

Question is, at what price of fuel will you choose not to drive?
I've already taken some steps..like riding the bus for the commute..certainly other steps like watching how many trips down the hill to Denver we make etc...We lived in Germany for 5 years so I'm always trying to find ways to curb gas use...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A client of mine just came in to show me his new Hummer. I wanted to smash him in the face for being so clueless. I hope gas goes to $10/gallon, and maybe Americans will do what they should have done in the seventies and build some tiny cars and God forbid, ride a bike.

I feel better now.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wooohhoooo!!!! My dream is coming true :thumb:

Hopefully this will have a similar effect as the 70's and 80's oil embargo and force America to look into being less energy intensive when it comes to oil usage.

I will admit though that I did stop at my local gas station which is at $2.62 until they get their next tank shipment, then the price is expected to go up by at least $0.60. Filled up my car and the 6 gasoline buckets that were lying around my house.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am planning on a new car in the next 1-3 months and all of a sudden a 100hp TDi vehicle is MUCH higher on my list of possibilities.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Inclag said:
Wooohhoooo!!!! My dream is coming true :thumb:

Hopefully this will have a similar effect as the 70's and 80's oil embargo and force America to look into being less energy intensive when it comes to oil usage.

I will admit though that I did stop at my local gas station which is at $2.62 until they get their next tank shipment, then the price is expected to go up by at least $0.60. Filled up my car and the 6 gasoline buckets that were lying around my house.
Yeah I'm gonna fill up tonight... both vehicles....

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Gas price in Quebec area just went from 1.06$/litre to 1.46$/litre in a day. Converted to US Gallon, that would be a rise from the actual 4.01$/gal to 5.53$. :eek:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Inclag said:
Hopefully this will have a similar effect as the 70's and 80's oil embargo and force America to look into being less energy intensive when it comes to oil usage
Detroit didn't learn a thing, and allowed Japanese cars to take over a lot of the market.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
stosh said:
Yeah I'm gonna fill up tonight... both vehicles....

That's a good call, one word of advice for those of you planning on filling up gas tanks. If you leave them inside your car, make sure you keep some windows open. Don't ask why, I wouldn't know :nuts:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
HypNoTic said:
Gas price in Quebec area just went from 1.06$/litre to 1.46$/litre in a day. Converted to US Gallon, that would be a rise from the actual 4.01$/gal to 5.53$. :eek:
Can you explain the metric system to me?

:D

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
ive already made my decision Its not like the price bump is putting a strain on my budget its just that its more of an excuse to get some excersise at the expense of possibly getting nailed by some douche

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I have taken steps to cut my driving down, that also includes where i go to ride. If i can network some people to ride with up in Bellingham and Vancouver. Then i would take Amtrak. Which as of now would cost less for a business class w/bike round trip ticket then what i would pay in gas for the trip.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
stinkyboy said:
A client of mine just came in to show me his new Hummer. I wanted to smash him in the face for being so clueless. I hope gas goes to $10/gallon, and maybe Americans will do what they should have done in the seventies and build some tiny cars and God forbid, ride a bike.

I feel better now.

Oh god you're one of those american hating americans...jeebus.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stinkyboy said:
Detroit didn't learn a thing, and allowed Japanese cars to take over a lot of the market.
Since US automakers pretty much lose money on cars and depend on large SUV's and truck for profits they are pretty much screwed. A few years back I read that Chrysler made close to 5 digit profits on a Grand Cherokee and about $100 on a Neon.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:
I don't have a choice, I have to drive to work....
That's where I'm at too. I have to drive. To get to work, the trails, Mom and Dads place, etc. I can and do ride to friends houses, the store, etc. If it's ina 5 mile radius I ride or walk. Maybe I should expand it to a 10 mile radius. I'd still have to drive to work and the trails though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most Americans live in a situation where they have to drive to work. This is the fault of the Japanese. 25 years ago no one would dare live too far from work, cars were way too unreliable, you'd be late every other day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
partsbara said:
i wonder if mr. bush and his cronies b1tch about the price of gas ??? :dancing: :nuts:
No, they laugh and laugh and smoke cigars and roll around in $1000 bills.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Unfortunately, I will still have to drive to work--pregnant and a 34 mile commute each way = :dead: I will, however, be making fewer trips to the store (trying to combine as many as I can at a time) and doing most of my x-mas shopping online!