Quantcast

Prime Rib Roast

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
I figure I'll have better luck with monkies than just googling some old recipe. I do have organic farm raised beef, off a side I purchased this year; it's cut and tied on to the bone right now. Not a super big roast either.

share your best method, pretty please?:love:

geargrrl
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,659
26
behind the viewfinder
bone-in?

i did a great recipe last year from the boston globe, but i didn't save and damned if i'm gonna pay $3 to trawl through their archives and hope i find the right one. i do remember the following:

it had a coating of dijon mustard and garlic
S&P thoroughly
in a hot oven (~425?) for 30 min, then decrease the heat to ~350 (time duration dependent on weight of roast).

this was for bone-in, btw.

and let the roast stand for ~15-20 before carving. this also affords you the time to make the pan gravy. :drool:
 

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
14,039
1,249
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
bone-in?

i did a great recipe last year from the boston globe, but i didn't save and damned if i'm gonna pay $3 to trawl through their archives and hope i find the right one. i do remember the following:

it had a coating of dijon mustard and garlic
S&P thoroughly
in a hot oven (~425?) for 30 min, then decrease the heat to ~350 (time duration dependent on weight of roast).

this was for bone-in, btw.

and let the roast stand for ~15-20 before carving. this also affords you the time to make the pan gravy. :drool:
found it.

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2004/12/15/standing_rib_roast_with_pan_juices/

it was in http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105624&highlight=prime+rib

I think we may have to try this one too.

edit-hmmm....my tags are f'd up...you get the idea.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
I did a chuck roast the other day in the crockpot.

Add a can off beef broth (au jus might be good also) to the crock pot and get it hot.

Lightly coat the roast in peanut oil and salt and pepper it. Sear it in a very hopt pan on all sides until you get a nice browning w/ some black bits.

Drop the roast in the crock pot and cook until tender. The sauce shouldn't cover the roast so use a turkey baster or ladle to keep the top moist. This will probably be 8 hours, or so. About an hour before you want to eat, throw in some potatos, carrots and celery. Then take the sauce and reduce it to make a tasty gravy.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
geargrrl said:
I would never do a prime rib roast in a crock pot, that's blasphemy!!! But yeah, the crock pot rules for lesser cuts.
You're right prime rib in the crock pot is wrong.

I would do it on the grill over hickory wood w/ a fresh bundle of fresh rosemary in the coals until it is rare/med rare personally (125°-130° ish).
 

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
I also need some guidelines on temp/pound. I know there are a couple of schools of thought on this. My roast is kind of small but it will do.

thanks again.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
geargrrl said:
I also need some guidelines on temp/pound. I know there are a couple of schools of thought on this. My roast is kind of small but it will do.

thanks again.
I use an instant read thermometer, and just pull it when it gets within 5° of my target temperature.

If I were you i would cook it at 225° and pull it at 130°. Just make sure the thermometer is in the deepest part of the meet but isn't touching the bone.
 

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
633
0
Walla Walla State Pen
I've always packed it with a mixture of sea salt, olive oil and corse ground pepper and some pressed fresh garlic. Bake it at around 450 for 10-15 minutes and then cook it at 250 until it's medium rare-ish. Cover with foil once you remove it to let it rest for 15 minutes or so.
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,659
26
behind the viewfinder
a lot of the outer surface of a rib roast is fat (front side of the bone to meat, part of the chop), so any kind of rub is rather pointless, imo.
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,453
36
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
a lot of the outer surface of a rib roast is fat (front side of the bone to meat, part of the chop), so any kind of rub is rather pointless, imo.
That's where I beg to differ from you. I always do a rub, then again I always BBQ my prime rib, no matter what the weather is:blah:
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,659
26
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's where I beg to differ from you. I always do a rub, then again I always BBQ my prime rib, no matter what the weather is:blah:
how long does it take to grill it? my 4 bone-in roast took about 2.5 hr to roast; can you control the heat of the charcoal well enough, and prevent flareups?

my main point of the surface rub is that aside from the ends of the roast, most of the meat never sees the rub, and the rub won't penetrate through the fat or fascia of the bone-side.

i did a garlic/thyme/dijon mustard rub myself.

btw, grilling means no delicious pan gravy. :p
 

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
2,379
1
pnw -dry side
report - I did the dijon rub, that was very good. Various opinions were split 50/50 about hi/lo temp or just lo temp so I did a just lo temp roasting and pulled at 125 which was almost too late, this roast was kind of small, about 5 pounds. That might be the correct temp for a larger roast. This roast was also from a local range fed side I purchased, not nearly as tender as butcher's prime grade would be. But it was tasty.

I've decided to go for the instant read thermometer at my upcoming pampered chef party.

thanks for the tips everyone!!:love:
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,453
36
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
how long does it take to grill it? my 4 bone-in roast took about 2.5 hr to roast; can you control the heat of the charcoal well enough, and prevent flareups?
it cooks between 2.5- 3 hours, and I never get flareups, Its always cooked on a weber. I just shut down the vents a bit.