Quantcast

Prime Rib roast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm cooking a boneless prime rib for xmas dinner for me and a few friends.
Seems simple and straightforward enough. Any tips or tricks to make it exceptional?
Seasonings, rubs, hot beef injectables?

Cheers.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like garlic roasted Garlic bulbs in the Roast. Cut holes in the Roast and insert the Roasted Garlic in the slits. Rub the entire Roast in Olive Oil and just Salt and Pepper. Cook in a Roasting Pan on a Rack so you can capture the juice for Gravy. Take your time to make sure the entire roast surface gets properly caramelized. For God's sake let it rest. My trick is to Roast Some Potatoes while you're doing the Beef. When you can put a fork in the Potato's and if they will easily release when they are done. The Roast is close to being done. Not always depending on the size.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
thanks @jdcamb I was hoping you'd chime in.
what are your thoughts on starting low/finishing hot or vice versa?
Sounds faulty. The New England method is to watch the Eye to see if the Fat around it renders. The problem is not all Roasts are butchered the same. The potato method works for me. Low heat will produce a more evenly cooked roast always. Turning the heat up to finish (properly caramelizing) may result in the internal part to be pink while the outside is well done. Depending on who you're serving it to it may not matter. I like rare. You don't always cook for yourself. Take your time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Read that article. You can find others on the reverse sear method for steaks. It's science! I'm not sure it's worth it for a relatively thin steak, but for something like this, not too much trouble. A piece of meat this big will not get much internal cooking with a short high-heat finish. Really, that's kind of a key point of the article.

Also, consider getting an instant-read meat thermometer. Potato method may be fine, but seems like it has too many variables.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Read that article. You can find others on the reverse sear method for steaks. It's science! I'm not sure it's worth it for a relatively thin steak, but for something like this, not too much trouble. A piece of meat this big will not get much internal cooking with a short high-heat finish. Really, that's kind of a key point of the article.

Also, consider getting an instant-read meat thermometer. Potato method may be fine, but seems like it has too many variables.
I've grown to love reverse searing steaks when I can't grill them for whatever reason.
I may try this method. I have a chef friend who does PR at his restaurant. I intend to ask him for tips too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you considered the sous vide route? Works great for thick steaks. Never tried something as large as a roast.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Without a fancy sous vide machine, it would probably be a pain in the butt to keep the temperature constant enough for something that big. But conceptually, sous vide is similar to the reverse sear: Cook for a long time at low temp to your preferred level of even doneness throughout, then create a crust with searing or other high heat at the end. And you can get a better crust with the reverse sear, since instead of sitting in a wet bag, the exterior will dry out more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Without a fancy sous vide machine, it would probably be a pain in the butt to keep the temperature constant enough for something that big. But conceptually, sous vide is similar to the reverse sear: Cook for a long time at low temp to your preferred level of even doneness throughout, then create a crust with searing or other high heat at the end. And you can get a better crust with the reverse sear, since instead of sitting in a wet bag, the exterior will dry out more.
Sous vide units are pretty cheap these days. I think mine was $60. If one is concerned about power output with a large cut, just use an insulated container like a cooler and start with hot water.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think sous vide is pretty cool. I've made some pretty amazing steaks and lamb chops sous vide with a cooler and keeping an eye on temp., adding more hot water as needed, etc. Still, those were only a little over an hour or so, and it still required more attention than I wanted to give. Just sayin', I personally wouldn't consider doing a PR sous vide without a temp controller.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Low and slow
Probably the most annoying saying of 2020/21, in Australia anyway(we're a bit slow).
Australia decided it wanted to be from the deep south a couple of years back and guys decided they wanted to test each other's meat smoking ability. I don't want to drink fruit flavoured beer and talk about who's smoked meat is so tender that you can swallow it without chewing.
Sausages on white bread with onion followed by copious amounts of unremarkable beer and lots of drunken banter please:rockout:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
ours is prepped, resting, and waiting to go in at 3:30. this will be the last meal cooked in our current range...it better not fuck it up. new range arrives monday.