Quantcast

Primo Powerbite cranks?

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Hellö!

Does anyone have experience with these cranks? Are they square-tappered? Are they strong?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
they are square tapered, they are strong as hell, they are stiff. they are what you want i'd say. (here in belgium, virtually all bmxers ride with primo cranks...)

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
im pretty sure they are not square taper, but i could be wrong. there are better cranks out there for the buck(profile) my friend had the primos but they got all messed up after just a few months...there not bad, but ive heard better about other(profile, we the people, etc.)

Lt.Dan

Thank you sir may I have another!
May 15, 2002
el cajon
yes you are rwrong. i had some and they were square taper. i never used them because i got out of bmx and took them back but they looked pretty bad ass

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
They are square tapper but don't think 1/4 inch like MTB BB's Think 1/2" Square!

Anything can be broken but these are the best BMX cranks in the price range!

Profiles are nice but the spindles are bad about twisting.

Solids, FBM, ect. are all nice in a way.

Anything can be broken but keep this in mind. With Primo you can easily buy just one crank are, spindle, washer or what ever you need real easy from any bike shop that even remotely has a clue. Any of the others will be hard to get parts even if you find a shop that sells it.

Buy the Primos and you will not regreat it.
I don't ride em but I don't have to.
I have a set of Haro cranks from 91 that are the same spindle size, arm casting, ect..
Basicly Primo coppied em. I've had to buy several sets of bearings but the same spindle and arms since 91!

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
The advantage with the Primos, would also be the weight I think. That's also why I looked at them in the first place.

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
there not to bad
a few of my mates hae them on there bmxs...
id go for profile or snafu if you got a bmx bb
you can get some square ones and some hexagonal ones.
i think the square ones are better just cos the hex bit isnt as big as the square bit

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I should have some on my ride in a couple days, so I'll let you know what I think if them soon. As far as I know, it is not a tapered square but rather a regular square (a 4-sided spline if you will) so you can adjust the chainline and width by sliding and clamping the arms down (pinch bolts) anywhere along the axle unlike a tapered one. In theory they sound okay and my buddies like theirs but I will see for myself in a day or 2.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Primo PowerBite cranks:

Facts:

1) Total crap. Think: Sheared pedal threads
2) Complete rip off of old GT design
3) Total crap. Aluminum has no place in BMX crankarms
4) Pros use them because they get them for free
5) Total crap. Pinch bolts come loose without loc-tite
6) Square taper BB. Inferior to splined systems
7) Total crap. Just buy profiles

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
Originally posted by Sideways
Primo PowerBite cranks:

Facts:

1) Total crap. Think: Sheared pedal threads
2) Complete rip off of old GT design
3) Total crap. Aluminum has no place in BMX crankarms
4) Pros use them because they get them for free
5) Total crap. Pinch bolts come loose without loc-tite
6) Square taper BB. Inferior to splined systems
7) Total crap. Just buy profiles
HAHAHAHAHAHA go home man.

1) lock your pedals good, and you don't have problems.
2) so?
3) no place? then why are so many people using them?
4) that's true.
5) so? use locktite then
6) there you could have a point, but not everyone notices the difference.
7) yeah we know the profiles are good.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by stino

HAHAHAHAHAHA go home man.

1) lock your pedals good, and you don't have problems.
2) so?
3) no place? then why are so many people using them?
4) that's true.
5) so? use locktite then
6) there you could have a point, but not everyone notices the difference.
7) yeah we know the profiles are good.
1) Even with locked down, the pedal threads are prone to fatigue failure.
Anyways, you know most BMXers don’t pay much attention to their gear. And if we do notice a problem, we tend to neglect it for some time. As a generalization, of course. But this stuff should be considered when designing BMX products.

2) So, the old GTs had similar problems. I don't know why they chose to make knock-off's of these cranks. Profile has been whooping ass for years.

3) No place because aluminum grinds through and fatigues. So many people use them because they have not learned the hard way yet. Besides, One uses aluminum to save weight. The Primo cranks don’t.

4) In agreement.

5) Okay. I'll take that. But refer to #1's design considerations.

6) In agreement.

7) In agreement.

BTW: I am home.

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Sideways

1) Even with locked down, the pedal threads are prone to fatigue failure.
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that the newer ones have steel inserts at the pedal threads...

I dunno, I'd get profiles myself...

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay, I just installed my powerbites so here is my very early report. The pedal threads now have big steel inserts in them to prevent stripping. The arms themselves are pretty light but the spindle is enormous. It's pretty light for it's size but it's still heavy. The hardware is high quality and the pinchbolts come with loctite already on them. The arms slide onto the spindle very easily and they haven't budged yet after tightening down the pinchbolts. I was impressed with the quality machining on the hollow spindle and hardware. We'll see how they hold up once I put some more time on them. They are way cheaper than profiles but I can't justify the cost of profiles for a bike that is supposed to be my "cheap" bike (compared to my MTB). I don't grind much and am not especially hard on parts so they seemed like the ticket for me. If you grind tons or break profiles, stay away.