Quantcast

Primo Spindles

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I have Primo Exel cranks on my BMX, and they elt a little off since I got them.... I put a level on the flats of both sides (sqare ends) and they are not level with each other. I figured the spindle was slightly twisted or bent by the guy I got the cranks from.
I order a BRAND NEW SPINDLE, and IT'S CROOKED TOO? WTF?
Are these things supposed to be off? Or is quality control just something not practiced at the factory that churns these things out? I have a Ti spindle coming, hopefully it will be machined properly. :plthumbsdown:
Here's the brand new spindle with pencils balanced on the flats. You can clearly see that they are not parallel.

Attachments

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yikes. What happens when you put the cranks on? You should be able to slide them on do the same type of measurement, right? Then you'll know for sure if it's supposed to be that way.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Yikes. What happens when you put the cranks on? You should be able to slide them on do the same type of measurement, right? Then you'll know for sure if it's supposed to be that way.
Well, I just put the arms on the spindle, with both of them pointed the same direction. Snugged the pinch bolts up, and then eyed them from the side, and placed them on a flat surface. WAY OFF! Holding the cranks together (off the spindle), the squares seem to line up very well. I've contacted Primo, and the jackass who sold the spindle to me. We'll see what happens. :D

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Damn. I just ordered a Ti spindle too, I sure as hell hope it's not crap as well. Maybe I should just get some spanish bearings for my profiles and ditch the Primos....

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I have the same primo spindle on my bmx and its fine as all i can tell. I am definatly not happy with Primos customer service. i called in one day and couldn'd even understand what the guy was saying cause of his strong spanish accent, and they never returned my e-mails. But They do make solid products, a little to heavy for my taste.

Lets not bash on a company (like the thread on mtbr) just because you got un-lucky with the bent spinle. Let us know how things go though.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I got an email reply really quickly from Primo:

"Ok so do u want us 2 send u a new spindle ??"

I told them yes, and gave them my address, so far no reply.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
LOL! Looks that way, doesn't it? (not impressed)
I wrote a fairly long, polite, detailed letter explaining the situation, and asked a few questions.
The above reply was all that I saw back.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Just got another email, Primo is sending me another spindle today!
We'll see how well this one is machined. :D
If they send you one without checking it out first to see that it is definitely straight, level, and not twisted, then their reputation will be in the hole big time (at least on Ridemonkey)...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Primo: "WTF, dood? Y cant u just be happy with what u have? U xpect us to check everything that goes out the door? ROTFLMFAO! Noob."

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Ouch! Hehe!

To their credit, they responded very quickly, and are sending a new spindle...
They can spell anyway they want if they treat me right. :clapping:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Got my Titanium spindle today! It's WAY lighter than that pig of a chromoly thing.... I could not detect any offset to the ends! My cranks are straight again. I don't think the Ti spindle will be bending or twisting anytime soon either. I did have to deepen the chamfer on the threaded holes on the ends of the spindle, the bolts were bottoming out near the heads, just a millimeter or two before the cranks cinched down to the bearings. I could have thrown in another spacer, but I am really close to full depth on the arms, which I like.
I should have an extra chromo spindle soon, since Primo says they've sent me a replacement for the defective one.
I'll be buying more Primo parts, if they come through with it. :clapping:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
To the best of my knowledge Primo doesn't make anything in-house. One of their vendors probably screwed up. It happens. The customer service reply is a little odd, but if they took care of it I wouldn't think any less of them over this.