Quantcast

Print screening t-shirts

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Random question for anyone who's messed around with print screening shirts...

We've done a decent amount of print screening with normal cotten t-shirts. Has anyone ever tried print screening on the moisture-wicking type shirts (cotton/polyester blend)? How does the normal paint work with that type of material or is there a special type of paint that will work better on that type of material?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Random question for anyone who's messed around with print screening shirts...

We've done a decent amount of print screening with normal cotten t-shirts. Has anyone ever tried print screening on the moisture-wicking type shirts (cotton/polyester blend)? How does the normal paint work with that type of material or is there a special type of paint that will work better on that type of material?
Depends on the art and the shirt color, and the type of ink.

Poly blends are generally trouble free until you get into white ink on black, blue and red shirts. The dyes in the polyester portion of the fabric can leach into the ink film and discolor it. (this is called dye migration or bleeding) This makes the white/light ink look less opaque or less bright. (example: white on red looks pinkish)

The big problem is the dyes used tend to melt and vaporize from the polyester at the same temperatures required to fully cure the inks!

Also, the dyes can migrate over time. A good looking shirt the first day can look like ass a week or two later.

There are specific "low-bleed" inks (typically plastisols) that have dye-blocking chemicals added. These can minimize or eliminate the dye migration.

For light colored shirts, have at it.

What inks are you using BTW?

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
we? what printer do you work for
Don't work for any printer... I'm just talking about my friends and I who have made t-shirts when we're bored. I'm thinking about trying to make riding jerseys with my own designs cause I dont like most of the ones you see in the store.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't work for any printer... I'm just talking about my friends and I who have made t-shirts when we're bored. I'm thinking about trying to make riding jerseys with my own designs cause I dont like most of the ones you see in the store.

ah. just wondering. i know some guys & shops in rochester that do great work. don't know anyone that does jerseys though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Note: most jerseys are done with dye sublimation transfer, not screen printing. Totally different process.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Don't use the word "fvcktard" on them, the ink will protest.