Quantcast

Privateer 141?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone ridden one?

BetaMTB seemed to like it a lot from their recent group test.

Slightly concerned how an ETT 35mm shorter than I'm used to would feel, particularly if I can get around uphill tight turns without my knees hitting the bar controls.

Frame is a little chunky, but just considering what alu frames are out there on my list of possibles for next trail bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Anyone ridden one?

BetaMTB seemed to like it a lot from their recent group test.

Slightly concerned how an ETT 35mm shorter than I'm used to would feel, particularly if I can get around uphill tight turns without my knees hitting the bar controls.

Frame is a little chunky, but just considering what alu frames are out there on my list of possibles for next trail bike.
Have you ridden a bike with a steep seat angle? I am guessing your current ride is 74 degrees? Anyway the steeper seat angles make the ETT feel shorter than it actual is so I would recommend going longer, not shorter.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have you ridden a bike with a steep seat angle? I am guessing your current ride is 74 degrees? Anyway the steeper seat angles make the ETT feel shorter than it actual is so I would recommend going longer, not shorter.
2012 Turner Burner = 73 of your finest portland degrees.

At 6'2" their sizing puts me on their P3. The short ETT's on modern bikes do concern me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I've ridden one. it was a Large. I normally ride mediums.
it rode fine in all instances while stood up.
But was horribly short while sat down and I found the crank position shite (feels like your feet are pedalling circles behind you if you're used to normal/OG seat angles). it starts to feel slightly less short when climbing. But I don't just do climbing and descending. and I don't just ride mtbs.
Try one first. Or at least try a bike with as steep a seat angle before you buy.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Go demo something with modern geo. With the steeper seat angle and taller stack you'll have a more upright position than on older bikes; ett may not be an issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
2012 Turner Burner = 73 of your finest portland degrees.

At 6'2" their sizing puts me on their P3. The short ETT's on modern bikes do concern me.

My two modern bikes have an ETT around 635mm with a 76 deg seat angle and at a bit over 5'10" I feel very comfortable on them. I am on the shorter end of the recommended P3 and would probably be OK but would think someone like you would be happier on the P4. I would think you would want to ride a P3 and a P4 to see what fits the best.

For reference, my old Turner had a 73 degree SA and a 23.5" TT.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Yes, yes, tight uphill turns, my favorite trail feature. Will there be a log at the top of it also?

I'm running my S3 The Smash with the geo adjust headset in the long position. I like the way the bike fits and pedals, even though GG recommended I run it in the shorter position for trail riding. The other Scotsman we know sold his S2 because it felt small and picked up a S3 and is running his in the short, but I've got a few inches on him, if you know what I mean.

Before I lucked into getting a The Smash before they went away for a while, I had a deposit on a P3 141. If you're going in blind, I'd size up.

edit: if you wanna be a baller, there's the Raaw Jibb to consider, it was just too many dollars for me.

Last edited: