Quantcast

Prize suggestions

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Ok I need some help. Myself and another guy are putting on a local XC Series. Thursday evenings, just a local series and alot of fun! Aside from the normal racing categories, we have a "Bike Shop Employees" Category. Bike shop employees show and compete against each other. The catch is they have to do some mechanical function before they take off. Super simple...like they all have to run 30 yds with seat in hand (or a wheel...), install it and go. They go first and it is pretty funny to watch.

So I need to come up with a super cool prize to give the winning shop in the end. Last year we had round mirror that had a bike tire around it. And then I did an etching on the mirror. Turned out pretty cool especially considering I had no idea what I was doing with the etching thing. I think the mirror came from IKEA, but I can't find it online.

I'm hoping for a little help from other bike shop dudes. What do you think would be cool to win for being the fastest shop? Something you could display proudly. Won't cost alot. etc..etc...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
or a disc brake rotor.

if you know someone that can weld and have 3 old rims sitting around, making a small end table is a piece of cake.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
PBR for the win. when i was a wrench monkey that was the best i could afford on a regular basis. I remember drinking it on the way to work :thumb:

J

JRB

It's kind of like a pasture roping where you have to catch and saddle your horse, or unload it from a trailer when they release your steer. I could never catch my f*cking horse. One time I even had to go in the tank to get the steer out. Friggin' horse. I hope no mechanics can't get their saddles on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ok that is wicked cool. did you make that yourself? i remember helping my dad make a chess board just like that and it was a huge pain getting everything sized and lined up perfectly. How in the world did you even get the spokes attatched?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jonKranked said:
ok that is wicked cool. did you make that yourself? i remember helping my dad make a chess board just like that and it was a huge pain getting everything sized and lined up perfectly. How in the world did you even get the spokes attatched?
No, I didn't build it(I don't think I would have the patience), but the lady that did used nails instead of spokes.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
No, I didn't build it(I don't think I would have the patience), but the lady that did used nails instead of spokes.
Kry-10 did that, right?? I seem to recall it.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Wumpus...that is damn cool!!! More info on where I can get one? I don't think I have the patience to make one myself.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Since shop monkeys can get any bike product they could afford, and assuming your budget is under $100 for a prize, what a dinner certificate?

I think it is better than a beer....

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I thought the health insurance one was hilarious as well. Sad, but still hilarious.

Couple of good suggestions here, thanks for those. What I am really looking for is a "trophy," something the shop can display proudly. Customers will see and ask about it. I think stuff made out of recycled bike parts is killer. The chess/checker board table Wumpus put up would be perfect, but may be out of the price range to buy one.

Keep the ideas coming.