Quantcast

Pro Gravity Tour (Pro GRT) Announced!

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
I know i'm going to get bombarded with questions on this one... so i'll try & answer as i can.. Remember, this is a FRESH START to the whole tour (which people call the national series), so please be in mind, that this is a work in progress!

2009 USA Cycling Pro Gravity Mountain Bike Tour unveiled

Colorado Springs, Colo. (Feb. 25, 2009)—USA Cycling announced today the creation of a new professional gravity mountain bike series designed to recognize the top gravity racers in America. The USA Cycling Pro Mountain Bike Gravity Tour (ProGRT) will consist of five events, including three UCI-sanctioned races, throughout the United States. Together, these races will provide world-class athletes with a consistent stage to showcase their downhill and 4-Cross skills.

Beginning in May of 2009, the ProGRT will visit four states and offer series ranking points to top finishers, resulting in overall individual titles for men and women. In addition, competitors will also have the opportunity to accumulate international ranking points as three of the five races are inscripted on the UCI calendar.

The series opens with the downhill contest at the Fluidride Cup in Port Angeles, Wash., May 1-3 and then heads south to the Chile Challenge in New Mexico where both the downhill and 4-Cross contests will be a part of the ProGRT. The tour then picks back up on Aug. 8 with both the downhill and 4-Cross at the Blast the Mass in Snowmass, Colo. The following weekend, the ProGRT moves east to the Yankee Clipper at Windham Mountain, the only race on both the Pro Cross Country Tour (ProXCT) and ProGRT. Wrapping up the tour will be the Whiteface 5K Downhill in Wilmington, N.Y. on Aug. 29.

“The Whiteface Mountain Bike Park is honored to be part of the Pro Gravity Tour. Five of the premier venues in the U.S. have been chosen for this historical series that will surely last for generations,” said Downhill Mike, promoter of the Whiteface 5K Downhill. “It is only fitting to be the last race on the tour with our eight-minute downhill track as racers should be in their best condition of the season by late August. The Lake Placid/Whiteface region has hosted two Winter Olympics (1932 & 1980) and has attracted numerous top athletes of all kinds ever since. The time has now come to bring a new breed of world class athletes to Whiteface Mountain and Lake Placid. Welcome Pro Gravity Tour.”

The objectives of the inaugural USA Cycling Pro GRT are to provide a sequence of international-caliber events for elite gravity racers, to recognize the best gravity athletes competing on U.S. soil, to spotlight America’s top races that have made a commitment to host high-level events and ultimately to raise the level of competitive gravity racing in the U.S.

“With the development of the ProGRT we were looking to showcase the country’s strongest gravity venues,” said USA Cycling Mountain Bike Events and Program Director Kelli Lusk. “We want to bring the elite riders together to compete against the best on the country’s top courses and ultimately crown the season’s preeminent gravity riders.”

2009 USA Cycling Pro Gravity MTB Tour (Pro GRT):

May 1-3: Fluidride Cup – Port Angeles, Wash. (DH $5,000 purse)

May 23-25: Chile Challenge – Angel Fire, N.M. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 2)

Aug. 8-9: Blast the Mass – Snowmass, Colo. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 2)

August 15-16: Yankee Clipper at Windham Mountain – Windham, N.Y. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 1)

August 29: Whiteface 5K (DH) – Wilmington, N.Y. (DH $5,000 purse)

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
well hey it's about time the offical word is allowed out. Great work to all involved in bringing us this series. lots of effort I'm sure.:cheers:

It's not mentioned but I believe it's 5 out of 5 with no drops

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
well hey it's about time the offical word is allowed out. Great work to all involved in bringing us this series. lots of effort I'm sure.:cheers:

It's not mentioned but I believe it's 5 out of 5 with no drops
yah, you're telling me! uugggh... hahah

we had a few delays... & were hoping for another resort to be included... but decided to drop it down to 5. we'll work on getting them on board for '10

you are correct. NO THROW OUTS for the overall points series

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Are these races pro-only, as the name suggests? I'm assuming that the Whiteface and Windham races will allow schmoes like they have in the past, but what about the other 3?

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Are these races pro-only, as the name suggests? I'm assuming that the Whiteface and Windham races will allow schmoes like they have in the past, but what about the other 3?
The "Pro Tour" is for Pro only... BUT that doesn't mean that there isn't any amateur racing at the events. Like w/ the MSC & Fluidride. The Pro GRT is based around regional races. Windham & Whiteface will be a part of the their own race series (one if not both are part of the Gravity East Series -- not sure.. sorry, don't have my calendar in front of me).

So if you want to race for series points, you've got the Fluidride, MSC, Gravity east to shoot for.

We're discussing possibilities about including amateurs as part of the Pro Tour (i.e. Amateur tour) for the future... but we need to take this one step at a time rebuilding the series... so that may be a while off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No the races aren't pro only, as the WF 5K is part of GES also. This will allow the awarding of a National champ (or something like that).

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
When your planning your Whiteface weekend please check our site for Bike & Stay packages. Sure there are thousands of campsites right next to the mountain, but for $69.00 you get a room, lift ticket and breakfast.

I figured many not from the area that only heard of Lake Placid would think it's very pricey.
There are some very upscale places too if it's in your budget.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
You guys need help

All the stops for Pro GRT are already stops for "DH nationals", pro and amateur classes.

The Pro GRT ties the select 5 Pro races only together into additional series. If you are a pro and attend a bunch of the races you can be in contention for the overall series win. If you are an amateur and you attend a bunch of the races, you don't get anything extra special.

Windham on the weekend of Aug 15-16 will be holding the Yankee Clipper. "XC nationals", "DH nationals", and extra for pros "Pro GRT". Massanutten is also going old school, but not Pro GRT.

Whiteface has a lot going on as it counts as a Pro GRT stop, GES stop, and DH national stop. Some of the others do too, but this is east coast.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
WOW Mike! is that your cabin?? i'm definitely staying with you.... for the year! hahaha ;-)
Dylan,
This is not my cabin. My cabin is more rustic and a bit smaller. I just wanted to give people not familiar with our area an idea of what you can get in Lake Placid if you want. There are close to 100 small motels in the area too. The Lake Placid Lodge is crazy nice and super expensive (indoor ice skating, bowling, private movie screening rooms, etc):
http://www.thewhitefacelodge.com/?gclid=CKql2ebV-5gCFRYiagod8V2ToQ

Yesterday Dan McDonald (Gravity East promoter) had a quote that made me post that picture.
"The guys in the Tour de France can only dream about the kind of facilities and hotel rooms that we have at Gravity East races," said McDonald.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
You guys need help

All the stops for Pro GRT are already stops for "DH nationals", pro and amateur classes.

The Pro GRT ties the select 5 Pro races only together into additional series. If you are a pro and attend a bunch of the races you can be in contention for the overall series win. If you are an amateur and you attend a bunch of the races, you don't get anything extra special.

Windham on the weekend of Aug 15-16 will be holding the Yankee Clipper. "XC nationals", "DH nationals", and extra for pros "Pro GRT". Massanutten is also going old school, but not Pro GRT.

Whiteface has a lot going on as it counts as a Pro GRT stop, GES stop, and DH national stop. Some of the others do too, but this is east coast.
I'll see if i can answer this... cause maybe it's just me.. but i'm starting to get lost of what you're trying to say/ask/etc...

Ok.. the National Gravity Calendar (which i'm assuming you're calling the DH Nationals) are jsut a list of races places on essentially a "national gravity calendar"... not much requirement to be on it.. & it's not what used to be the "Nationals Series" or "NMBS". Honestly i donno why USAC put this calendar together, since most people don't take it into account. It's cool they list them... but they need a new name IMO so it's not too confusing. They've had this for a few years now i think... but it's not the "main" US series

ANYWAY, the Pro GRT takes place of what was the "National Series"/"NMBS"

& most of these events are on the National Calendar because they're on the Pro Tour. Hope that made sense.

Anyhow, granted there is no overall "amateur series" title. This is something that may happen in the future. it's being discussed.... but we're taking things one step at a time. I think most people can appreciate the fact that this is a COMPLETE restructure. There are no funds to this as of yet. The purse is being provided by the individual promoter. So we (the Pro GRT) are extremely limited on what we can do this year... but it's a good start. We've got legitimate venues, races & we don't conflict w/ the World Cups.

Granted there are some sacrifices we had to make. the schedule was made late in the year,so there are some conflicts. And since there are no sponsors for the tour as of yet... we're limited on what we can do at this time.

We know that the amateurs are the bread and butter of the sport, and that is a top priority for us. However we are taking this one step at a time. The ultimate goal is to provide a strong national series that our elite pros can compete & prepare for the World Cups. this in turn attracts local pros & in turn attracts amateur racing. I wish it could work the other way around... but the fact is, it doesnt. & like i said, with limited funds & resources, we can only do so much this year.

unlike the National Gravity Calendar, there is a large pro purse, pro title, awards, etc.. this will be the "main" national series of the states.

There is no extra races at these events.. it's still the same set up. but yes, they may account for 2 different points series.

As an amateur, if you're looking to race a "series" you have pleanty of great series to choose from.. Fluidride cup, MSC, Gravity East, etc. If you're looking for a national title, you've got the National Championships in Sol Vista.

The entire race industry has changed... you don't see nearly as many amateur racers fighting for an overall series title as you did say 10 years ago. it's something we had to take into account.

Hope that answered your questions & didn't confuse you further

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Will there be prize money for overall? Or is it more of a cool thing to have on your resume?
unfortunatley i cannot say at the moment & it's nothing i can promise... it's something i'm working on, but not my call... i hope there will be, in order to add extra incentive to the pros to attend the entire tour.

There will be series leaders jerseys awarded at each stop (not required to wear), leaders numbers plates, & Pro GRT medals

I will be donating, to the Mens & Womens series DH & Gated winner, a custom painted gold helmet (attached is a rough example)

& yes, it's something cool to have on your resume! ;)