Quantcast

Pro Tour victim

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The French Division I team Brioches La Boulangère announced Thursday that it would not continue sponsorship of the team past the end of 2004. Despite a successful start to the season, the increased investment necessary to enter the UCI's planned Pro Tour beginning in 2005 represents too great an increase for the company.

"According to the new regulations, we would have to increase our investment by 40% compared to the 2004 season (28 riders minimum vs. 20 current), and the administrative costs would increase in the same manner," the team said in a written statement.

The Brioches La Boulangère team, which evolved from the Vendee U formation of Jean-René Bernaudeau into the Bonjour pro team, made a lot of noise before this season when it announced the arrival of Tour de France contender Joseba Beloki. The ex-ONCE leader was lured to France to provide La Boulangère with a GC leader, though Beloki thus far has shown difficulty as he has returned to competition after last year's season-ending crash in the Tour.

Beloki signed a two year deal with La Boulangère, and beyond wishing director Jean-René Bernaudeau and the riders good luck, the team has not indicated what will come of the current contracts.

The team thus becomes perhaps the first official casualty of the new Pro Tour, which aims to assemble the top 18 teams into a newly structured league, placing increased demands on each team, notably the mandatory participation in all grand tours and current World Cup races which will combine to form the Pro Tour calendar.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
sorry for bringing up the drugs thing, but putting more pressure on teams to enter more races with more of their top riders will only encourage some performance enhancing substances....

RAGT announced that they won't compete for the 1st year of the pro-tour......although the sponsors will still run the team.

splat

Nam I am
I think the Idea behind the "pro Tour" thing is good , but in reality I think it is going to have problems . getting sponsers being one of them. because now the cost to have a team is going to be quite a bit more. and lets face it in these economic times makeing the cost of a team that much more will drive more than a few out of bike racing. as this is a prime example of.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
saeco also won't be riding the pro-tour (souns like a surfing contest)

but what does this mean, can they still ride the Giro for example ? or can they not enter any race thats part of the protour, which includes, if I'm not mistake, all 3 grand tours, 10 world cup classics etc ??

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think what the UCI are trying to do with the Pro Tour is get the top teams and riders out more. UCI want to see Armstrong, Ulrich et al riding all year as they are the big names which draw he fans which draws the $pon$ors.

In reality though I think what we will see is bigger teams sending also rans to the Pro Tour and the Armstrongs and Ulrichs will continue to focus on the Tour de France and train as per usual. That will just mena the big teams will need way more money to pay for the pro tour and the extra riders they will need. Brioches la Boulangere are opting out for that reason. Too much money for them. I'm guessing that Saeco has the resources to fund a pro tour team but object to it because they would rather not pay the extra euros. Their refusal might just be a ploy to see if more top teams also opt out. If that happens the UCI will have to repond in some way either by abandoning the idea or changing it to suit the teams wishes.