Quantcast

Problem with an advertisement on our pages?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you have an issue with an ad on one of the pages - such as a popup, an interstitial ad, annoying sounds that don't require you to click to activate, adult content, etc., please let us know. It's probably not supposed to be there: we don't support any of the ad types that I named.

Unfortunately, we have to work through ad networks. We're trying to drive more towards direct ad sales, but we will probably always have some ad network ads. We control what the ad networks are allowed to serve us, but sometimes they get miscategorized, or one slips through.

Please post, either in this thread or a new thread in this forum, what you've seen. If you can get a screenshot of the ad and/or the URL of the ad (or the URL that the ad is pointing to), that helps us track it down quickly. If you can't get that information, just post as much about the ad as you can remember.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Not sure if this is the right thread, but since two days ive been getting pop up type banners on the bottom of my screen (iphone 6+s).
One is for Garmin the other for iTunes.
They have an (x) and after some time they disapear but theyre pretty annoying.

Is this a permanent thing?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Not sure if this is the right thread, but since two days ive been getting pop up type banners on the bottom of my screen (iphone 6+s).
One is for Garmin the other for iTunes.
They have an (x) and after some time they disapear but theyre pretty annoying.

Is this a permanent thing?
Yep, I seem them. We just corrected all of the ad code, it wasn't displaying right before, so I'm assuming they're supposed to be there but I'll poke around.

Got into a go-round with the phone with a Conti ad on the bottom obscuring the jump to top arrow. Same damn ad every page. 50% of the time when I tried to close it, it'd open the ad full page. Decided it was time to take a vacation from using RM on the phone. S5 Active.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Now its top and bottom of the screen.
Time to delete the rm bookmark from the phone...
You gotta do what you gotta do. The bottom banner is closeable and is a new ad slot that runs on certain ad campaigns. I haven't had a lot of trouble with the "x" to close it - it seems to disappear readily. Are you having issues with closing it, or just object to the ad location?

The top one isn't sticky, though, is it? That's a normal ad slot that has always been there.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The top one i have no problems with, its a normal banner and it doesnt stay on the screen when im scrolling. The bottom one however stays and even on a iPhone 6s Plus i have trouble closing it and I keep getting directed to whatever website is spamming my experience.

I think when i first started browsing the monkey 12 years ago this place already had some banners but now its gotten to a point where i feel it annoys me sufficiently to start avoiding it. Same reason I havent watched TV in a decade, i hate being slapped in the face with advertisements.
If the people in charge feel this is the way they need to make money then so be it. But for me personally this is the point where teh monkey stops feeling like a community and is just selling me to the highest bidder.

I realise this is not your doing, and ive always loved reading up on just about anything on these boards so it kinda sucks, but this is where I draw my line.
I wont stop visiting rm completely because i dont have problems with these banners on my laptop. Im just gonna stop visiting from my phone which is where i do 90% of all my browsing.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Tonight I started getting super annoying page redirects for some BS Facebook survey, which change to an amazon survey when i tab back, then back again to the first BS page, then back again, then a malicious site warning before the next redirect.

1st Url was "comumx.site" something or other.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Tonight I started getting super annoying page redirects for some BS Facebook survey, which change to an amazon survey when i tab back, then back again to the first BS page, then back again, then a malicious site warning before the next redirect.

1st Url was "comumx.site" something or other.
Same thing again today. :rant:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry Nick, I did some testing yesterday and couldn't find it, but I'm sending it to the ad guys to look into.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The is a new top banner that is very big and overlays forum controls so I can't post new threads in the lounge from my phone anymore.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is it possible to put a logon button/link somewhere, other than in the octopus button menu? It took me almost my entire poo break at work earlier to be able to find a way to logon, when the aforementioned banner ad was blocking it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is it possible to put a logon button/link somewhere, other than in the octopus button menu? It took me almost my entire poo break at work earlier to be able to find a way to logon, when the aforementioned banner ad was blocking it.
Wait, what?

The login button should be a distinct option inside the green nav bar.

Let me see if I can replicate it. Can you tell me what device/browser?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wait, what?

The login button should be a distinct option inside the green nav bar.

Let me see if I can replicate it. Can you tell me what device/browser?
I found it...

Apparently I have never tried to use RM in landscape orientation on my iPhone 5s. In portrait there is no button, I have to click the octopi button and find it in there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I found it...

Apparently I have never tried to use RM in landscape orientation on my iPhone 5s. In portrait there is no button, I have to click the octopi button and find it in there.
Um, okay, that's a layout problem. I'll see what I can do to fix it - the button should be there regardless.