Quantcast

Problem with banshee Scream

Macdonald

Chimp
Oct 28, 2003
I have a banshee scream that I bought used the past winter. The bike came with a B.B that I've never touched before today. It also came with a DMR chain cage.

So the story begins here, I messed up the DMR chaincage at a DH competition and decided that I needed something else. I've ordered a E.13 guide. When I received the guide, I took my bike to my LBS to take off my B.B cup. I've found that the B.B hole of my frame is stripped and I can't put the B.B anymore!!! So the guy at the shop tell me that he could use a CNC machine and he could repair my B.B hole for about 250$. The problem is that my frame is a 03 and I wanted to sell it and get a 05 one.

1)Does anyone know the price of a 04/05 front triangle only.(I've emailed banshee but they didn't emailed me back yet.)

2)Should I go with the CNC machine and keep my frame, should I buy a more recent front triangle or should I go with the CNC machine to repair my frame and sell it later to buy another scream or another DH/FR bike. (looking at the Yeti Asx or the Iron Horse SGS)

I don't know if I posted this in the right forum but anyway ...

Thanks Max

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
oh yeah, and this sounds fishy. if your bb had already been stripped, that DMR chainguide woulda likely been flopping around, not staying in place. based on the info given, it kinda sounds like the shop may have screwed up bigtime taking out the bb and is trying to cover their ass. i'm not trying to make any false accusations here, but it's totally possible and probably wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. something worth looking in to...

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
chicodude01 said:
i believe park makes a tool for just this occasion.

Clicky Clicky

That's for threading the B.B in the firrst place, or cleaning up the threads, but if you've stripped it right out, that tool will do exactly nothing for you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Robin said:
That's for threading the B.B in the firrst place, or cleaning up the threads, but if you've stripped it right out, that tool will do exactly nothing for you.
Yes, but if you've stripped it out completely, such that the tap won't help you anymore, you've likely removed enough material to render the BB useless, wouldn't you? I mean, all the CNC machine can do is machine new threads into the BB, it can't create more material and the machining process is going to remove even more material.. The diameter of the BB will be such that you won't be able to thread in the cups anymore.

If your BB was stripped that badly while riding, macdonald, you would have known it. There would have been some serious clunking and flopping going around down there. Wonder if the guys at your LBS accidentally destroyed the BB shell trying to install the new BB...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The park tool will do just as much as a cnc machine would, unless they're going to try and do something wacky like machine it out to italian threads (those are the slightly larger ones if I'm not mistaken). Anyways, it sounds very strange to me. Ask them to explain the situation to you in more detail. They shouldn't ask you to pay that much if you don't understand what the operation is all about.

Macdonald

Chimp
Oct 28, 2003
well, I don't think it's the shop that screwed the threads. I was in front of the guy when he did the job and he didn't screwed anything. the cup was holding with a little bit of thread that have been destroyed when the bb cup was removed.

For the CNC machine (I'm not good in english but I'll do my best)
they will put material in the bb and draw the threads after with the new material.
I don't know if it will be weak since it probably not be the same material as the frame.

does some one know the price of a front triangle?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Macdonald said:
does some one know the price of a front triangle?
I'd call Banshee. Explain exactly what the situation is - don't B.S. From all accounts, they have excellent customer service, and who knows, they might even warrenty it for free. Likely, they will at least offer you crash replacement on the front triangle.

Good luck!

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
DamienC said:
PM Booker on this board. He got a new front triangle for his Scream for about as much as your shop wants to charge you for the CNC work if I recall correctly.
Yep. Just give Banshee a call and tell them what has happened. When i dented my front triangle they sent me a new one the next day. I don't want to give an exact price but it was about the same $$ your shop wants to fix the threads. Banshee is right up there with Evil and Ironhorse when it comes to customer service. Just remember they are Canadian and they talk funny......."Oh no problem bro' thats gunna bee aboot.........." :thumb:

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
can you screw up threads by backing the out? how would that happen? sorry for the OT question but it might help other monkeys out in the future, and maybe this monkey now since he witnessed the LBS employee take the BB out....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jmvar said:
can you screw up threads by backing the out? how would that happen? sorry for the OT question but it might help other monkeys out in the future, and maybe this monkey now since he witnessed the LBS employee take the BB out....
Well, it'd be difficult but not impossible. If you put torque on it from a weird direction.. or if the threads were nicely siezed.. It's much easier to fvck it up putting it in.

Macdonald

Chimp
Oct 28, 2003
Well I would like to call banshee but I don't speak very well english and I worry about don't understanding very well what they will say. I've PM'ed Booker about his front triangle but I'd like more to order one from Banshee. If someone who speak english could call them for me it would be awesome. If you can call for me to explain my problem and to order another front triangle if needed, please email me to pagyma@sympatico.ca or send me a PM.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I just email Banshee last week. Took them about three days to get back to me. I wasn't in a big rush, though.

If you speak English as well as you write it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Macdonald

Chimp
Oct 28, 2003
Well I write english well because I have the time to formulate my sentenses.
At the phone it will be totally diferent and I need to understand what the guy say.
It's easyer for me to write then to understand. The accent is also determinent. This is why I want a :monkey: to help me :)

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Just for the record the DMR chaincage mounts just like a derailleur, not with the BB like other guides. Its pretty much a derailleur cage that doesn't move. So I doubt that the shop messed up taking it off.

Macdonald

Chimp
Oct 28, 2003
The chaincage mount just like a derailleur but the roller mount between the frame and the BB cup. This is why I needed my B.B to be removed. I'll wait one or two days for the banshee answer and I'll maybe try to call them if they don't answer me.

How much do you guys think would be the crash replacement for the front triangle?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Macdonald said:
The chaincage mount just like a derailleur but the roller mount between the frame and the BB cup. This is why I needed my B.B to be removed. I'll wait one or two days for the banshee answer and I'll maybe try to call them if they don't answer me.

How much do you guys think would be the crash replacement for the front triangle?
Oh my bad, I thought the chaincage was just this, no roller : http://www.dmrbikes.com/products/chaindevices/chaincage.html