Quantcast

Problem with Iron Horse bikes? 7point and Sunday...

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Really killer bikes. I love em except for one issue.

I went down to superblow bike shop and looked at their bikes. EVERY single one of the 7 point and sundays hit the derailleur under compression. On top of that every single one also had a small little nick in the down tube from the damn shock hitting the frame, what the hell?

Either the superblow guys put the shocks in upside down, or this is one serious mistake! While test riding I could feel BOTH the deraileur and the down tube making contact.

Anyone else seen this?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
At my local Supergo (oceanside) it was not a problem....but I did notice loose bushings and an improperly valved shock.....both of which are easy fixes...D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have both a Sunday and 7Point

I also have no clue what you are talking about - what derailleur are you talking about? front derailleur, which would be the 7Point only...

and a small nick on the downtube??

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
Hes talking about the front derailer. It hits the rear chainstay. I haven't found a way to fix this on mine becuase if I lift it up then the chain is pulled up by the derailer when your on the granny gear. It actually wore away part of my cable cover for the rear derailer becuase it passes right through there.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
mobius said:
Some reason i don't see that happening on a properly setup 7point or sunday. listen to acadian.
well...if setup incorrectly (e.g. too low of if the BB is too narrow) the FD on the 7Point will have contact issues.

When you are building your 7Point, take off the shock and cycle the rear end to be sure you don't have contact issues.

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
My front shifter cracked and I sent it away to get replaced (one of the only legitamate warante issues I've had, I didn't hit it on anything) and sram claimed I crashed it even though there isn't any sign of it hitting anything whatsoever it looks bran new. As a result I just have mine set to the top ring and dont have a shifter. So far no contact issues and I'l never buy sram again.

I mostly use it for DH type riding anyways I dont really use the granny ring much

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I have seen sram shifters (not on IH bikes) cracked on the shop floor from being overtightend in the factory. If you set up your front mech on the 7 point (or any bike!) there will be no contact anywhere. Remember to zip tie your cables as they can contact under compression if not zip tied correctly.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Freefall said:
Hes talking about the front derailer. It hits the rear chainstay. I haven't found a way to fix this on mine becuase if I lift it up then the chain is pulled up by the derailer when your on the granny gear. It actually wore away part of my cable cover for the rear derailer becuase it passes right through there.

Mess with the setup. I got mine so there is no rub at all.
My buddy did too.
Just move the derailer up a few mm's and pivot it a bit so the cage clears the chainstay yolk.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
There should be no front derialluer rub on the 7POINT with the correct BB spindle width and location, and the Sunday was never intended to and does not fit any kind of front derailleur, so I'm kind of at a loss on how to help on that one.

dw

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
dw said:
the Sunday was never intended to and does not fit any kind of front derailleur, so I'm kind of at a loss on how to help on that one.

dw
Use some JB Weld, a roll of duct tape and a hammer.