Quantcast

Problem with Rockshox Totem 2-Step

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I bought a 2010 Totem 2-step last week, and installed on my bike.
3 dh runs yesterday and a couple miles of riding around thee neighborhood have been everything i have done.

i have it at 90psi (the recommended 100psi por mi weight seen to stiff), 4 clicks of HSC, 5 clicks of LSC and 8 clicks of rebound.

the problem is i no longer see the 180mm mark and the lines above it... seems my fork wont extend back to 180mm, and is stuck around 165mm or so....

i tried letting all the air our, and then pumping it back... and when i let the air out, it squirted like a tablespoon of oil from the air chamber schrader valve (into my disc, nonetheless). being this my first "high performance" air fork, is it normal for air chambers to have that much oil inside?

tricky part is, i bought it from overseas, so pretty much i have no practical local warranty.

ideas??

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's pretty normal for a little oil to come out of the air valve, but a tablespoon is a lot. Did you buy the fork new or used?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
RS had massive problems with the 2-step.

I had one in the shop and inquired about the rumors with SRAM, they promptly sent me a solo air kit to convert the fork to solo air. Was told to throw the 2-step stuff away.

Have a word with the SRAM distro in your area.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Couple thoughts-

1. measure the exposed stanchion. I know on some Lyrics at least the 160mm line would be covered but they still got full travel.

2. Can you pull on the fork and get it to extend more? It sounds like the negative spring might not be equalizing with the positive one properly and is over pressurized.