Quantcast

Problems swapping between bikes

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
Well I finally did my first DH race on the weekend and had a great time even if i did flat on both my race runs:( I jumped back on the trail bike last night for my normal Tuesday night training ride and everything was fine until it was time to come back down.

I was all over the place, coming into corners way too hot and just feeling not right. Anyone else have this problem when they spend a few days on their DH rigs or is it just me?

cheers

Trev.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Same issues, however, i only have it when i go DH to XC, i can do DH-DJ or DH-DH ect. I think it has to do with bikes meant for "tricks" having slacker angles, i know when i ride DH i get behind the bike in the corners, for XC i have to ride on or in front of the bike. Practice makes perfect-they are entirely different bikes, so they need entirely different input

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
at one point I had a bit short bmx(20") and a med yeti dh9. switching back and forth was very hard, long wheel base to a really short wheelbase. Having too long of stem on an AM/xc bike can make it hard also.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've had that problem. If I do, I just tone it down a bit and spend a bit more time getting used to the "new" bike.
I think starting with the idea of going slower helps me get used to the bike more quickly than almost eating sh*t a bunch of times.

Good luck!

I also think the more you mix it up, the shorter the time (if any) getting comfortable on your different rides.

Last edited:

aham73

Chimp
Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia/ San Francisco
I keep both bikes next to each other in the garage, and I make sure I take one or both out for a spin every day. I'm a busy person, so unless I'm going for a full blown ride, it's 5 minutes here and there. I spend it spinning around, hopping up curbs, wheelieing off of them, track standing, etc. Never feels foreign switching between my Ex8 and Session 8.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Get a hardtail and start riding that. Switch regularly between your HT, your FS trail bike and your dh bike.

Pretty soon it's just riding a bike.
:stupid:

I switch between a 19# XC race hardtail, a trail/ jump hardtail, a FS trail bike and a DH bike routinely. If I've been moving around over all of them regularly it's not an issue.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
There's nothing better than riding several different kinds of bikes, it improves your overall bike handling skills base, now back on topic. I finally got on my downhill bike last weekend for the first time in nearly two years, after riding mainly road and xc during my time off the dh bike, it was the most alien experience ever, I was doing the dumbest things ever on the bike. After about three runs I was getting more comfortable, as crazy as this sounds I had to pull over and have a discussion with myself on the trail, to get going again,i thought I'd lost it altogether.

as kidwoo said previously, the more you ride different bikes the more you get used to it and eventually it's just riding a bike.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have 8 bikes and switching between them is never a problem, it all just falls into place instantly. In the last week I've ridden DH, mini DH, hardtail, rigid mtb, road and BMX bikes.. the only problem I ever encounter is the first kerb I bunnyhop on BMXs I'll almost always misjudge the short wheelbase and clip my rear wheel slightly.. never do it twice tho.

moral of this message is you NEED MOAR BIKES ! :D

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
My last 3 rides have been on 3 different bikes, so yeah, I know what you mean. I do change it up between my hardtail, my FR bike and now my DH bike, so the transition is much quicker than it used to be, but there are always a few sketchy moments at the beginning of a ride.

I figure it just keeps things fun!

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
Get a hardtail and start riding that. Switch regularly between your HT, your FS trail bike and your dh bike.

Pretty soon it's just riding a bike.
I definitely agree - I'm constantly switching between 7 or 8 different bikes - everything between a 20" bmx race bike and my Demo 7. I do most of my training on my 20" race bike, 20" dirt jumper, or my hardtail xc bike. It's much easier to go up in suspension & size rather than down. Plus training on a hardtail or bmx makes you a much smoother rider. Also, when switching bikes give yourself a few minutes to warm up on easy stuff on whatever bike you're riding so you can get used to it again. You'll become accustomed to the little body changes you have to make for each bike.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
The more you switch the easier it becomes. If you stick to one bike for a while and then switch it can be difficult. But if you ride multiple bikes every week then you adjust automatically after a while and don't even notice.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Set all your bikes up with the same cockpit setup. Seems to ease the transition but really you just gotta get used to it. I ride a lot of XC and don't have a problem switching from bike to bike.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
8 bikes:eek: I have enough trouble finding time to ride 2! if I tried to have 8 bikes this would be the wife :rant:

I haven't had the problem before last week because I normally only spend 2 hours on the DH bike a week and my other riding is done on my fuel ex. The biggest problem is that I have light weight rotors on the Trek and takes a bit to re-adjust from the DH bike.

On a positive note I'm a fair bit faster coming down now also and this may have a lot to do with making mistakes. I'm sure I'll get it sorted but might be time to put some normal rotors back on a keep the light weights for racing.