Quantcast

problems with 5th element

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
hey i was just wondering if any other pacific northwest monkeys have had this same problem with their 5th element coil rear shocks?

okay so i got my new rear 5th like a week and a half ago and a couple a days later went to moab and the second to the last day i rode it was doin great performing like a champ so i put it in our trailer and went back to camp then the next day when i pulled it out of the trailer at the top of a ride it had tons of top out so i rode into an area bike shop and the mechanic said that the rebound was blown with no explanation as to why this happened.

so any of you monkeys ever had this happen to ya?

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
dont have that kind of money. hey does anybody know how to get a hold of progressive suspensions techline cause the number on their site connects to some ladys house

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
cove rider said:
hey i was just wondering if any other pacific northwest monkeys have had this same problem with their 5th element coil rear shocks?

okay so i got my new rear 5th like a week and a half ago and a couple a days later went to moab and the second to the last day i rode it was doin great performing like a champ so i put it in our trailer and went back to camp then the next day when i pulled it out of the trailer at the top of a ride it had tons of top out so i rode into an area bike shop and the mechanic said that the rebound was blown with no explanation as to why this happened.

so any of you monkeys ever had this happen to ya?
I would really hope they would fix it with no cost...If it is only a couple weeks old...I'm sure if you talked to the right person they will get you fixed up. That is a bummer though.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Stickler said:
I think you can screw up the rebound by cycling the shock with no air in it (under 50psi)?
Call progressive.
i checked the air right before i rode it and i put some more in cause it had gone down from the previous days ride. o and i tried to call them but all they have is a phone number that is automated and you leave yer info so they can send you a catalog and their techline conects to some old ladys house

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
this is where your LBS comes in. have them get in touch with progressive. sucks to have to use a middle-man (lbs) for such things, but in cases like this, they can be your bestest-est-est friend!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy called them a few days ago and talked with their tech line. Look for the # on their website. Also, the shock should not lose air after only a few days. Send it to Progressive and have them look at.

Avy shocks never have problems..... you just have to replace the Du-bushings and reducers every 2 years unlike most shocks where you have to replace them 2-3 times a year.:)
ps. no sarcasm.;)

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
huh thats weird cause i called um today twice and it connected me to some old ladys house well i guess i will have to try it again. or i will have to call up Tim's bike shop in Everett where i bought and see what they can do

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
oly said:
Yea, Avalanches NEVER have problems..... :rolleyes: (ps thats sarcasm)
Huh, thats funny, I do recall an Avy on DPM's Army actually seizing up in Whistler last year probably due to the heat. Or maybe it was just my imagination? Ruined his whole day! But Avy's NEVER have problems.

Right D'? Even more sarcasm. ;)

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
cove rider said:
i just bought this brand new 5th so i dont think i want to go spend another $500 and get a new one when i think i can get the rebuild done for free because of warranty. that is if i can get a hold of them
Ignore the smoke thats being blown..
Every shock maker out there has experienced some kind of problems. Sure some people may have never experienced any issues but eventually they will the longer they ride. The shock you have is an excellent shock! I was on Progressives since they were first put on bikes and was lucky enough to work with their service department through some early production problems. They are a great company to deal with. Contact them and tell them what happened and I am sure they will take care of you. :thumb:

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
three things i've learned in my many years of mountainbiking (take into consideration i weigh 230) avy's dont blow up! period! i go to whistler and beat the hell out of my equipment 4 days in a row, three times a year, been racing, and do tons of freeriding. avy's dont blow up,marzzochi forks dont leak oil, and maxxis tires pop. buy the used avy, its the last time you'll ever buy a shock, my avy is 3 and a half years old and is only getting better w/ time.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
holliswood said:
Ignore the smoke thats being blown..
Every shock maker out there has experienced some kind of problems. Sure some people may have never experienced any issues but eventually they will the longer they ride. The shock you have is an excellent shock! I was on Progressives since they were first put on bikes and was lucky enough to work with their service department through some early production problems. They are a great company to deal with. Contact them and tell them what happened and I am sure they will take care of you. :thumb:
hey do you know of any other phone numbers or e-mail address's i could try seems how there techline doesnt seem to work