Quantcast

problems with e.13 LG1 on stinky

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
I am trying to install an LG1 onto my stinky primo and running into some issues. The ICSG guide that bolts behind the bb cup can't get spaced out enough for the top guide to run clean on the chainring. If I space it out enough for the guide to work, the crank rubs on the guide mount. If I get the guide mount not to rub, the chainguide keeps kicking the chain off. Anyone installed one of these?

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
i spent like 4 hours getting an LG1 on an 06 stinky deluxe, and on a set of holzfellers.

I went with the instructions on truvativ's site for spacers, and it ended up being wrong for the LG1. Mine only worked when I had the BB mount on the inside of the spacer.

If you have any more problems, e-mail or call the e-13 guys, I'm sure they've done this before.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
yea, I may give them a call tomorrow, but at this point I have given up and gone back to the dual ring. The dual ring never dropped the chain once in the past year, so all I am going to gain is a weight savings.

Basically, no matter how I move the mount, ring or guide, they conflict seriously at some point. Either the crank rubs on the mount, the guide on the ring or the ring on the mount. I can't get the planets to align and can't really be bothered anymore tonight.

That was a highly aggravating past couple of hours. I must have pulled that crank off and on like 20 times.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
yea, I seen that. I think the issue is with the diabolous cranks. The tabs for the granny rub. I don't feel like taking a grinder to them either.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
???

The grany 'tabs' on diabolus are a removeable spacer. There is no way that you could push the guide out far enough to hit the little nubs left where the granny mounted....and have it in the correct place for any ring.

Any chance you have the ring on the outer mount?? and not the middle?

Are you using frame mounted tabs or a sandwiched mount?

It is 135/73? I could not find any info on the kona site.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
The removable spacer still bolts into the crank itself. Those tabs are what hits the mount. I have tried the ring in both the middle and outer mounts, flipped the ISCG plate and used every combo of spacer I can think of.

I just don't see at this point how this is gonna fit so I swapped back to the old dual ring setup. Basically either the chain rubs excessively on the guide or the crank rubs on the mount. I can see how it is supposed to fit together with the top guide sitting right over the chainring, but with the way my cranks are, there is no way it is happening without some serious grinding and cutting. When I set the mount so that it doesn't hit the crank when everything is tightened down, the guides are inboard about 1/4 - 1/2 inch too much.

I have tried every conceivable configuration at this point, and unless I am missing something huge here, this combination of parts just ain't meant to be.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The granny tabs hit the mount???????? You mean the ISCG mount?

The boomerang should be outboard of the sandwiched ISCG mount....honestly I am having a hard time understanding this. I got rid of my diabolus a while ago, but the residual granny nubs are further outboard than the inner surface of the ring...there is no way they could be hitting the boomerang with anywhere near the propper spacing at the top slider/chainring.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I recently mounted a LG1 to Raceface Atlas cranks and ran into a similar problem after much head scratching I spaced the chain ring out from the crank not sure if that is the proper way to do it but it works and I did not have to grind my granny gear mounts off.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
The granny tabs hit the mount???????? You mean the ISCG mount?

The boomerang should be outboard of the sandwiched ISCG mount....honestly I am having a hard time understanding this. I got rid of my diabolus a while ago, but the residual granny nubs are further outboard than the inner surface of the ring...there is no way they could be hitting the boomerang with anywhere near the propper spacing at the top slider/chainring.
I sandwich the ISCG adapter between the bb and the shell and then the mount bolts to the adapter. I space the adapter out with the gold or black washers or nothing at all and flip the adapter but it still doesn't line up.

The tabs from the granny hit the mount (not the adapter, it is behind the mount) if it is spaced out enough to even have a chance of lining up with the ring. I tried running the ring on the middle and outer positions to fix this and still nothing.

I will be calling e.13 today to see if they have any suggestions.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think that dave's point is that if the ring is in the middle position (where is should be) and you have the granny spider removed, the granny tabs sit inboard of the chainring and thus make it impossible for the granny tabs to contact the back plate.

3 questions Cult Hero:
What specific chainring are you running?
What is the rear axle spacing on the frame?
What is the BB shell spacing?

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
that is the problem. With the chainring in the middle position, and the granny gear spider removed, the granny tabs aren't inboard of the middle ring.

raceface chainring
135 I think
68 I think

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
that is the problem. With the chainring in the middle position, and the granny gear spider removed, the granny tabs aren't inboard of the middle ring.

raceface chainring
135 I think
68 I think
You can shoot me an email at support@e13components at your convenience and we can get you dialed.

If the granny tab posts are contacting the inside surface of the guide system (ISCG adapter cupped over shell on 68mm BB / backplate = rubbing ) usually this indicates that since you are using a single ring system and a 3 ring crank set that the granny ring mounts need to be filed or drilled or down to allow the system to spin freely. I'm assuming that you are looking to keep the granny tabs since you have a DRS as well?

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
well, maybe it was just sleep that was needed. I decided to give it one more shot this morning and it lined up. I flipped the ISCG adapter to the cupped side over the shell (like I had it in the beginning) and by some miracle it lined up.

I am stoked, but at the same time confused as to why it fit. I can't see anything I did differently this time. I do need to go and really tighten everything down as it isn't torqued yet but I don't see the tolerances changing much from that.

That was a learning experience.

Thanks for everyones help here.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah its actually a quite easy set up, I have a DRS with Howitzer drive cranks, proper setup did not come from truvative, but from E13, and yes the truvative site showed to have the driveside spacer inside the guide plate, but infact it was batter to have the guideplart against the frame and the spacer on top of the guideplate. My bike is also a 68mm spacing.