Quantcast

Problems with my Freeride wheels

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
Wassup everyone, i need advice on my current and/or future wheelset.

I currently have a set of Sun RhinoLite Rims laced to some lower end (Deore) disc hubs with 2.5" tires running at about 35 lbs.

I have only been experimenting with freeride/downhill for a couple of months, so i am still having problems with casing a lot of the landings. Apparently my rear wheel is taking a lot of abuse, because the rim seems to warp every time i ride. I dont weigh alot (150 lbs.) but i do ride a DJ/Freeride hardtail.

Should i invest in a higher end wheelset (Mavic Deemax or custom build setup)? I am thinking that my technique on the landings is just going to ruin a high end set also.

Any suggestions until I learn how to style the landings?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Rhyno Lite rims are cheap. Have the wheel rebuilt with a new hoop. If you find a builder who can properly tension and stress relieve the wheel it will last a lot longer.

It's not the rim, it's the build.

Mike

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
For the most part I agree with above. I will say that an upgrade rim with that hub setup will accomplish the strength issue just as well as a whole new wheel would...again, assuming it gets built right.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
My best luck is with properly built wheels. With that said, ensure that the builder uses a Tensionometer and specs the spokes within 5% of tension of each other (Per side)

If you buy a hub, buy Hadley. They are strong and will last you forever.

If you do happen to need rims, I've had extremely good luck with the WTB DH Rims. They are supple and resist pinch flats. I don't think they're that expensive though. They've taken my pathetic landings and hucks-gone-bad.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'd go with the general message above - The strength of a wheel is mostly about the build quality, and is enhanced by the components rather than determined by it.

As for hubs, Woodman, Hadley, Profile, Hope - there are loads of good hubs out there these days. Just go for any decent sealed bearing model and I'm sure you'll be fine.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
For rims, try Mavic 721s. they will offer you a good balance between suppleness (ability of the rim to conform to the ground) and flat spot resistance. Some rims will be harder to flat spot, but also harder to keep properly tensioned because they are TOO stiff. Super deep rims are this way. 721s have proven themselves in so many applications. I have ridden them for up to 4 years before choosing to replace them. I have never destroyed one. Have them built well to any number of the abovementioned hubs and you will be far better off. And don't worry, they are wide enough for your tires.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I totally agree with these guys, you need strong parts to make a strong wheel, but if you have a good builder, then the wheels can be made even stronger. Since you're just starting out and you're not smooth yet I'd suggest you look for durability over weight in components. The heavy stuff will last even through wrecks. I'm assuming you're already running 36 spoke wheels. I'd suggest a woodman rear hub or something comparable. Hadleys are awesome, but they're real pricey, and for learning to jump/huck you just need to have something thats gonna last. As far as rims go, Halo, Atomlab and Arrow all make good stuff in addition to the Mavic 721s already mentioned. Sun double tracks are good, and Alex Supra D or BH rims are great to learn on as well.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
rhyno's work pretty good but keep em tensioned like said above, the rhyno xl would be alittle stronger but you may as well get something alittle beefier. i would say no to halo though, sun/mavic/syncros/arrow/etc....are all pretty good though, i think mavic has proven itself time and time again. but again the build of your wheel and how you maintain it is the key.