Quantcast

Problems with Truvativ

I've been havin problems with my Truvavtiv chainrings bending under normal pedaling. I've had the most problems with the middle ring (the one i use the most) I never bash it on logs or rocks, so I assume its the load applied when pedaling. I was wondering if ya all have heard of this or know whats going on. Oh yeah, and if someone knows the standard allen crank bolt size, I would be much obliged, I have a terrible memory.....Thanks!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This shouldn't happen unless you're running your chainring bolts really loose (or even worse, one or more is missing). Check them. Running a horrible chainline and/or using bad gear combinations that caused a crossed chain might also be a factor (with a straight chainline and no crossed chain gear combos there will be very little torque to bend the chainring).

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
are you bending the whole RING or just the TEETH? If it's the teeth, it's probably an incompatible or worn chain, or bad chainline/shifting strategy. Occasionally bad luck will lodge a pebble between the links to cause this.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Pretty hard to bend the whole ring unless as pointed out some bolts are loose. If its just teeth, that does happen rarely in my experience though. i've heard of bigger guys bending rings and all I can suggest is that they get thicker rings like Race Face or ENVY or Black Spire and probably others.

Most crank arm bolts are 8mm but I think campy used 7mm a while back and I'll bet there are others.

I'll go and check the torque on the ring bolts. I am a big guy (6 foot 190lbs). I really do mash on the cranks, but most of the time I spin, and I usually dont shift up front under load. Right now I have the crank off to straighten the ring out. A few teeth are burred and bent bad enough to keep the chain from realeasing, and the ring itself looks like a wheel trued by a first tie mechanic... I'm cleaning everything and re-setting up my derailurers, and hopefully the problem will go away.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
I had the same problem when I first got my bike. The Truvative rings are just paper thin. If you take it off, you will see that you can easily bend the ring with just your hands. I bought a better ring and had no problems at all. Then I bouht a chainguide, and now I dont have to worry about it

I have come to a conclusion that the truvativ rings suck, but thats only based on one set of rings. I straightened everything out and put it back on, and made sure the chainring bolts were torqued, and after riding for a half an hour, the middle ring looked like a potato chip again. I took it home and beat the bejesus out of the chain ring with an adjustable wrench, made sure the bolts were tight, and went out to ride the next day. Since them I have put 75-100 miles on, and it hasn't bent since. Hows that for strain toughening??? My suggestion to Truvativ owners, beat you stuff with a wrench.....hehe