Quantcast

Processor Question

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
So a weird thing happened yesterday. My wife received an Amazon package with an AMD computer processor in it. While relatives have occasionally sent gifts through Amazon to her, she doesn’t have an Amazon account. This makes no sense as she has never built a computer and knows little about them. We contacted everyone that we thought may have sent this to her on accident and received a “nope, not us” from all of them.

So we wanted to do the right thing, so she contacted Amazon to see if they could tell her who sent this to her on accident or if we need to ship it back to them, etc. as it appears that this was a mistake on their end somehow. They claim that they had no way to track this particular package on any level and that she was free to keep it (which I believe tells you the type of margins they are working on).

I’m a big auto racing geek and around two years ago I put together a simulator, however I’m no computer expert. My brother in-law spec’ed out a computer system and with the help of YouTube, I put it together. On to the question…

How big of an upgrade would this new processor be? Again, I’m FAR from a computer expert of any kind but for reference, I’m running four monitors with a XFX Radeon Rx 5700 graphics card.

Current:
IMG_5226.jpg

Amazon mystery special:
IMG_5228.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IDK, but is your computer boost-compatible?

Way back in the day I used to run an over-clocked graphics card glued to a heat sink to load ridiculous mods into x-wing alliance…like speed it up to look like the movies.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I haven't followed PC gaming specs for a very long time, but a quick glance suggests it should probably be slightly quicker overall and run cooler than your current CPU.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Probably just a replacement for your Covid chip if it didn't connect with Bill Gate's server. Just insert it into your most convenient orifice.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Could just swap them and run some load tests to see.

Though I'd be careful swapping them, depending on the OS and software, changing the CPU can often cause them to freak out.