Quantcast

Procore kills the Plus (size)?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
With the right sized wheels and therefore the proper BB height, sure.

I think you're kind of missing the nuance in my statement. It goes like this "stop supporting these bastards by thinking every new dumb idea has potential merit just because you've never seen it before."

Because it really does seem like things are given credibility just for being new, not necessarily good. Nothing demonstrates this more than tires.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Assembled Wufflers:

If you don't like riding <insert bike or component here> don't ride it.
WTF you think we're doing ?:rofl:

This is just the latest phase of bike shops carrying only 29ers cuz 'hey these are the future'

It's more time an energy NOT spent working on actual mountain bike evolution. If you don't have any opinions on that then fine, but a bike discussion forum probably isn't the best place to expect opinion-free discussion. ;)

I don't think that anyone can say at this point what the future is.

It's clearly evident that a bunch of these design variations will die out pretty quickly; the market is not enough to support them all. One thing that is evident is that planned obsolescence is rampant. The parts to maintain and repair a bunch of these bikes will simply not be available in a rather short term future.

Both of my current bikes could well be in this category. I can't predict the future so I'm just going to get on something and ride it until it's worn out. I think I'll manage to enjoy myself in so doing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, the way I see it I like riding bikes, and have been doing it for long enough to have a pretty good idea what I like in terms of parts. When I see the industry going a different direction from that, it behooves me to bitch about it to do what I can to make sure that stuff I like continues to be available. I'm not opposed to *insert thing I think is stupid here* existing for people that are into it, but it does become a problem when said stupid thing becomes so prevalent that nobody is developing stuff I like anymore.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Assembled Wufflers:

If you don't like riding <insert bike or component here> don't ride it.

Consider taking the energy you're putting into unhappy ululating and redirecting it to pedaling.

That is all.
I am literally posting this while sitting on the spin bike at the gym. I am now pedaling harder thanks to your comment. Now my HR is out of zone 2. Dammit, screw you.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, the way I see it I like riding bikes, and have been doing it for long enough to have a pretty good idea what I like in terms of parts. When I see the industry going a different direction from that, it behooves me to bitch about it to do what I can to make sure that stuff I like continues to be available. I'm not opposed to *insert thing I think is stupid here* existing for people that are into it, but it does become a problem when said stupid thing becomes so prevalent that nobody is developing stuff I like anymore.
But you need to tell exactly this to your LBS, company reps and such. Funny part is that "the industry" is losing massive support in the "core rider" scene (folks that are riding for a long time and have enough money to not let their buying decision be influence by grass root sponsorship 10% discounts from bike shops). Funny that now all the newbies are on the "newest and hottest" bikes and most of the long timers stick to their old bikes or buy second hand/NOS last generation nano wheel size bikes. Confuses the sh!t out of the newbies. :D

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
How do these semi chubby tires and low pressures respond to pushing off lips and in berms. There's this off-camber hip lip that I ride and it'll roll tires whenever the pressures are under optimum (28 - 32 for me).

The semi chubby seems to be forgoing precision for comfort. Not a bike handlers wet dream. Maybe a dentists wet dream though. Someone send me one to try and I will give you a second opinion.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, people who ride around on normal single track with giant low pressure tires are not pushing off of lips and peeling off tires in berms. They like to stay seated as they pedal over roots because it is more comfy for their starfish. Sitting down to pee can really take the strain off their legs as well.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
But you need to tell exactly this to your LBS, company reps and such. Funny part is that "the industry" is losing massive support in the "core rider" scene (folks that are riding for a long time and have enough money to not let their buying decision be influence by grass root sponsorship 10% discounts from bike shops). Funny that now all the newbies are on the "newest and hottest" bikes and most of the long timers stick to their old bikes or buy second hand/NOS last generation nano wheel size bikes. Confuses the sh!t out of the newbies. :D
??? What???

Maybe in your area these crusty old "core riders" are riding around on old outdated junk but not here. Here these older guys with cash are all riding around on new carbon 650b wunder bikes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hard to separate the old guys into core and n00b in the parking lot, but most old timers I see are rocking carbon/enve bikes 29ers.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Doing snow jumps on a dh bike is sorta like riding on frozen lake beds or giant sand dunes on a fat bike - not something I'm interested in. There are better tools.