Quantcast

Procore

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How is this progressing?

Heard not many WC riders are actually using it yet, so I'm guessing there are some teething issues?

It'd be nice if more companies had a go at something useful like this instead of different wheel sizes.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
There are a lottt of pros using the system - Hill won Meribel on the system for instance. Not a case of "not wanting" the tech - it's just crazy new and not a ton of people have access to it/wanted to figure it out mid season. A strong portion of the Schwalbe pro riders (directly supported, not just 'brodeals') were running Procore. I for one, want to. There is at least 1 rider running the system at the EWS this weekend as well. It's out there, just not a ton of hype around it b/c it works and that's that.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, I noticed the 2 in 1 valve and think it looks great, since rim failures often happen at the valve hole.

I honestly think it's a brilliant idea, and just want to hear how it's progressing. I do think it'd be nice if they offered it for sale in a single pack instead of double, would be cheaper to try on one end first.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd prefer to drill a second hole and for someone to make an innertube that didn't expand, then I could use a tyre that gripped on wet roots, Schwalbe tyres are crap!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha neither do I, if you had a tube that you fit inside a normal tyre that could be inflated but didn't expand greatly it would do a similar thing but you could run a decent tyre like a Maxxis, Conti, Spesh etc.

So you'd have the tubless valve on one side and the fancy schmacy tube valve on the other side, similar to what the WC DH guys were doing a while back.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd prefer to drill a second hole and for someone to make an innertube that didn't expand, then I could use a tyre that gripped on wet roots, Schwalbe tyres are crap!
Spoken like a man who clearly hasn't tried the Dirty Dan in vertstar compound, which is ironically their mud tyre so I'm not entirely sure what you're on about.

Rode these in the Morzine woods trails in complete slush, and also Champery in the mud. Loads of grip and by far the best mud tyre I've used.

Also relevant:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Meh, he could ride a trolley down a DH track quicker than I could ride a bike down it.
I tried 3 Schwalbe(must admit 2 were XC) tyres and had no luck so there was no way I'd try another when I can slap any Maxxis tyre on and they just work. I am not awesome on a bike but for me Shwalbe tyres have been crap, they slice open and my current Fat Alberts have to be run in the low 20 range to work which means I constantly lose goo and air.

I am too poor to try every tyre out there so I just go with Minions for DH and Ardents(60a) for XC, both tyres have more traction than I have skill in either discipline.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Meh, he could ride a trolley down a DH track quicker than I could ride a bike down it.

I tried 3 Schwalbe(must admit 2 were XC) tyres and had no luck so there was no way I'd try another when I can slap any Maxxis tyre on and they just work.

I am too poor to try every tyre out there so I just go with Minions for DH
So you haven't tried their mud tyre, and claim their tyres are crap in the mud? Your comparison is akin to me trying an Ardent and 60A Mobster and claiming that Maxxis makes awful DH tyres. Congratulations on winning my muppet of the week award, an award that can be forever treasured on your mantlepiece.

For reference, having tried both of the tyres you mentioned (and currently - if not almost always - having a pair of Minion DHFs on my bike) I can tell you quite confidently that the Minion is rubbish in the mud, and is far surpassed by Schwalbe's offering. More surprisingly, the DD is also substantially better than the Maxxis Wetscream in both wet and dry conditions.

Finally, having ridden those tyres on that track, I genuinely believe that they would have offered a measurable benefit. I also suspect that while he is faster than you on a trolley, he wouldn't have won the world championship on one.

Aug 4, 2008
Haha neither do I, if you had a tube that you fit inside a normal tyre that could be inflated but didn't expand greatly it would do a similar thing but you could run a decent tyre like a Maxxis, Conti, Spesh etc.

So you'd have the tubless valve on one side and the fancy schmacy tube valve on the other side, similar to what the WC DH guys were doing a while back.
But that is exactly what Procore is. It is a tubular with a special butterfly valve thingy that allows inflation of the low pressure chamber.

AFAIK it is in no way exclusive to Schwalbe tyres.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

your schwalbe hate is strong. as your ignorance to inform yourself properly. you can run the procore system with any tire you want. but then again you couldn't hate on schwalbe, right?

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
Wow, that's a snazzy website. I've only viewed the N. America site...http://www.schwalbetires.com/

If some of their riders are still on the "older" two valve system, I suspect either trouble with the single valve design or simple production issues.

I'm content with my 823s and 25-30psi tires. I'd be interested running a lighter and wider rim (Flow EX) assuming the system adds a fair bit protection against rim dents.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha, I was on the beers last night, Russell Crowe's football team won their grand final and I was drowning my sorrows, I really hope he doesn't make a movie about it.

I'd only ever looked at that Pro Core thing once and remembered wrongly that it was built in to the tyre for some reason. It does work with any tyre, I'm an idiot.

My Schwalbe hate still stands, I know mine weren't mud tyres but the grip on wet rock or root is non existent(with the Schwalbe tyres I have used) and I haven't experienced such little traction in these conditions with any other tyre I have owned. Maybe it's where I live as the Schwalbe hate seems fairly strong except with the XC folk.

EDIT- Estimated $200US and 180 GBP, not cheap!

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have a set of carbon rims I'm dying to lace up for my tr450, but I'm not going to run them until procore is available. I constantly feel like my tires are going to roll off the bead, often dent my rims. Procore seems like a win win for me

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Any chance someone will be able to make a cheaper version?
If so I can probably wait, even though I like the idea.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Seems like a win win other than the weight weight.

What's the weight gain over tubeless and comparison to Welterweight tubes?

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
My Schwalbe hate still stands, I know mine weren't mud tyres but the grip on wet rock or root is non existent(with the Schwalbe tyres I have used) and I haven't experienced such little traction in these conditions with any other tyre I have owned. Maybe it's where I live as the Schwalbe hate seems fairly strong except with the XC folk.
That's kind of like saying Specialized makes terrible bikes because a hardrock wasn't the ideal tool for Whistler. Their soft compound tires are great on wet roots and rocks.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
EDIT- Estimated $200US and 180 GBP, not cheap!
Becuase it's brand new.

I have a set of carbon rims I'm dying to lace up for my tr450, but I'm not going to run them until procore is available. I constantly feel like my tires are going to roll off the bead, often dent my rims. Procore seems like a win win for me
That's exactly what I would like to do, one day :) Using i.e. LB 650b wide, hookless rims :)

Any chance someone will be able to make a cheaper version?
If so I can probably wait, even though I like the idea.
I hope so, coz this technology is no magic ;)

Seems like a win win other than the weight weight.

What's the weight gain over tubeless and comparison to Welterweight tubes?
Procore per wheel is about 200g, but you can use thin (thinner) wall tires. So, there is no weight penalty.

Aug 4, 2008
And at least I only need Procore on the last tire. If grip is really as much better as they say... Then I probably do not care about cost or weight at all.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder if you could use a black double ender like this-

And add a sheath like some thin heatshrink or Techflex to stop the tube expanding beyond the desired size, the ends would have to be closed off to stop the tube exploding.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Procore per wheel is about 200g, but you can use thin (thinner) wall tires. So, there is no weight penalty.
Maxxis doesn't make their DH compounds in non-DH sidewall tires, so the industry standard tires would be a net weight gain, in that case.

Not sure if some of the newcomer tire brands make folding tires in 40-45a...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maxxis doesn't make their DH compounds in non-DH sidewall tires, so the industry standard tires would be a net weight gain, in that case.

Not sure if some of the newcomer tire brands make folding tires in 40-45a...

Third one down is supertacky
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-121-minion-dhf

I know.......that's only one. :D

That 3c max terra isn't too bad actually.

No way in hell I'd run this system on a dh bike with non dh tires though. I don't run tubeless on the big bike so the weight difference would just be the tube......not that big of a deal really.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Has there been recent info somewhere on WC racers running UST vs Stans vs tube set-ups?

A pound gain over tubeless seems significant.

Seems like Stans or Stans-clone has won the battle for all other disciplines.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The idea of running thinner walled tires seems like a terrible one to me. My experience with a UST tubeless setup under actual DH riding was not positive in the slightest, and this was running full on DH tires, both UST certified and not, on 823 rims with Stan's sealant. Multiple holes torn in tire casings, in addition to burping and all the other stuff this system is supposed to prevent.

I like the idea of this system, but I'd certainly not be looking to it to save weight. More provide the reduced pinch flats of a tubeless system with the reduced tears and rock punctures and lack of burping of a tubed setup. That said, I expect changing tires to be exponentially harder than both...

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
If you use 400-500g DH/FR tube with full DH tire and you are not willing to swap rims, you gonna just save some grams on tube + you gain rim protection and tire stability.
But if you're on light tubes, like 120-150g and you don't want to go for lighter tires and rims... you will actually gain rotational weight and spend some money ;)
Schwalbe never said it's for pure DH hardcore huckers... ;) they said, you can use some lighter components with Procore. It won't work for everyone ;)
I see some benefits for me :) And, as I said few time before, I want to try it. However, I will still give this product some time... coz I would also like to switch for carbon rims (from DT EX471 which will come with my new Glory).