Quantcast

production hondas

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by mxer338, Nov 13, 2005.

1. mxer338

mxer338 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i 'member a while back we had that whole long thread with that production-looking honda, but no news since, does anyone know if there going to be produced? if so, when? and most importantly, how much? thank you to anyone who has a clue

Please register to disable this ad.

2. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    I talked to the honda guys at a race and with the correct amount of money you could get honda to make you one, I also learned that just the machined ti and carbon gearbox is in the $35,000 range so a time-share mite be a better option than outright buying one.

3. mxer338

mxer338 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    yah but the "production" one had a plastic lookin gearbox and was less flashy than the things the team riders had been riding

4. wood-dog

wood-dog Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    $3500.00???? Wtf!

5. mobius

mobius Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    no thats 35,000.00

6. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Besides, for any one off style prototype, that is pretty good.

7. S.K.C.

S.K.C. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    ...$35,000 for a proto gear box... yeeeesh.

Yeah - in the automotive industry I know of people like the Sultan of Brunei who have actually purchased manufacturer's 1-off prototypes (remember Ferrari's "Mythos" spyder from the late 80's???) and even had their own custom order production runs (an order of 10 or so Silver Spur twin-turbos from Roll Royce - done sometime between 1989 and 1995)

But come on now, $35,000 for a proto gear box is a boatload of cash (and when we say "gearbox" we are referring to just the gearbox - not the entire bike - correct?). You were saying this is a fairly reasonable price. I'm curious - what exactly are you comparing this to in the world of DH bikes??? For example: "Well I remember a quoted price for a proto ......... "

Just curious.

8. Zutroy

Zutroy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Wasen't it reported Shimano spent like 15k on that proto drum brake back like 98ish? It's not unreasonable the gear box was 35k. Remember these are guys that spend millions on racing programs.

9. gregminar

gregminar Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i got mine for almost free

10. SXtrailrider

SXtrailrider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    nice go greg your the best

11. bballe336

bballe336 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Do you really think it's Greg Minaar? No, it's just you making fake screen names.

12. konabiker

konabiker Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Funny, I would have thought that Greg Minnaar would have spelled his own name right.

13. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    And did you also know multiple screen names will get you permabanned?

14. manhattanprjkt83

manhattanprjkt83 Rusty Trombone

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 251

its not like anyone will actually know if he is...:rolleyes:

15. Repack

Repack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    $35,000=~.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of Honda (Iresearched it) and a small sum to develop anything as complex as a gearbox. The 35K most likely reflects all of the man hours that went into the project as well as all the tooling costs. Sure they could probably done it from day-1 out of Aluminum and high-impact plastic, but that just wouldn't have been cool. Besides, when has Honda ever half-assed anything? Remember that selling price is a function of variable and fixed production costs. Imagine what kind of costs are involved to justify any frame in the ~$2,500 range.

16. S.K.C.

S.K.C. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    ...hmmm now that I think about it - Honda did abandon their CVT "Continuously Variable Transmission" program in favor of the lighter and immensely simplistic "derailleur in a box" after a year or so of testing... Not to mention about 3 iterations of the CVT transmission.

That's a LOT of R&D time.... too bad it was too complex for it's intended application though - it was truely an amazing feat of engineering and design.

17. Zutroy

Zutroy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

I don't think that's the case....if it was a der in a box they wouldn't take it up to the rooms at night.

18. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    Repack, your acualy probably dead on but it's not all man hours you ever try to machine a chunk of ti, that gearbox is suposed to be all one peice so just a rough guees I'd say thats like two solid weeks of milling. Also in the spirit of GREGMINAR up there I'l would like to change my user name to JONTOMAC and answer posts as if I were him.

19. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    I think by der. in a box they mean it has fixed ratios instead of variable.

20. S.K.C.

S.K.C. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    No, it's not really anything like the old CVT system anymore at all - doesn't require a degree in Astro Physics to figure out :D ...I've seen pics of it, and it is in fact a Derailleur system similar to the Hayes Gearbox. The new derailleur system was developed by Matsumoto and Morita - the same guys who designed the abandonded CVT system.

With the old CVT system the drivetrain was totally silent at idle (coasting) and during shifting, but with the new one, you can hear the traditional sounds of chains and gears spinning as well as the "tink-tink" of shifting.

This was covered in MBA Jan. 05' - pretty interesting stuff...

21. Zutroy

Zutroy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Yeah, that's what Honda showed, and patented, but that's not what's in the bike. Once you patent something the cats out of the box. Honda is not treathing that gearbox as such, they don't open it in from of anyone at a race, and they take it back to the hotel at night. My guess is that patent is for the first thing they did to get the bike rolling, whats in there now they are treating it like a trade secret which means you don't let anyone see it, you don't patent it so no one has a clue.

22. gregminar

gregminar Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I Love My Bike

23. c2001

c2001 Paparazzi

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    nice goatee

24. Repack

Repack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I have a feeling in my gut that this thread has already gone too far down the e-spec slippery slope but I'll chime in again anyway. As far as patents go, people seem to be overlooking the fact that although the gearbox is based on a patent, Honda may have developed a potentially patentable refinement to the original design. It doesn't need to be very different than the original, just better.

25. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    now I am totaly convinced that that's not Greg Minaar, it's just some kid. Not to sound like a conspiricy theorist here but why would Honda publicly file a patent for there actual desighn, all a patent does is prevent others from making money off the idea, they can still use it, so my guess is that patent is just another design they kicked around but aren't using

26. Zutroy

Zutroy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Yeah most things are easy to hide and radically different tend to be kept as trade secrets instead of patiented these days

27. gemini2k

gemini2k Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 101
    35k, average automotive engineer probably makes around 100k-ish? (too high maybe?) figure out of the 35k maybe 20 was RandD, 15k actually production costs, machining, material, machines, etc. 20 is maybe 2-3 months of work for 2 engineers? thats pennies to a billion dollar company, especially when they can sell the frame set for probably 5k when they want to....
    ________
    FORD CROWN VICTORIA HISTORY

#27 -   Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  28. thaflyinfatman

thaflyinfatman Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Ibis apparently spent about $300,000 developing their new carbon Mojo (it is the Mojo right?). That's a ****load of money.