Quantcast

Professional Rider Mark Weir Loses Home in Fire

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Ironman rider and all around mountain bike pimp Mark Weir has tragically lost his home in a fire. His wife and son escaped the blaze and were unharmed.
---

By Wilderness Trail Bikes

WTB employee Mark Weir’s home was ravaged by a fire two days after Christmas. Weir was at home with his wife and son, but was unable to stop the flames. Fortunately the Weir family escaped without injury. WTB wishes the best to Mark, Suzie and Gus, the next few months will undoubtedly be a tough chapter in their lives.

The events took place two days after Christmas and, apart from the house itself, the Weir family lost cars, motorcycles, seven complete bikes, countless bike parts and just about everything else. “Two of my [Santa Cruz] Driver 8s were melted together into one chunk of aluminum,” Weir said. Despite the tragedy, and without an evident cause, Weir is trying to keep an upbeat and positive attitude throughout the ordeal, “I’ve got my boy and my wife, so that’s a good step in the right direction,” he said.

Photo by Nate Phillips

Everyone at Ridemonkey.com would like to extend it's condolences to the Weir family, and we hope that Mark will be back on the trails as soon as possible, once again making every other rider on earth feel inadequate.

Attachments

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Sorry to hear about that. Mark is a stand-up guy. I've been on the Downieville shuttle with him a few times and seen him riding up in Marin. He is always very friendly.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Met Mark at Downieville '08 and spoke with him a bit. Brought up my Virginia City/Make-A-Wish event, and he remembered it. Really meant something to me.

Yep, having your wife and child is a definate step in the right direction.....

ashmtnadv

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Ashland Or.
It was heart breaking to stand there and look into the ashes of so many memories that I and others have enjoyed over the years, sharing with the most generous Mark Wier.
However, to know that he and his family are safe was most comforting. Mark is one of the strongest willed induviduals I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and I am certian that he will not only recover from these losses but become stronger for it.
Long live the peacock pit and long rides!

Aug 13, 2009
Portland Oregon
Man that is very unfortunate. Hope fully he can get all of his life back together soon. I never met him but, I have heard so much about him. Soon enough things will get better.

alfordaln

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Hi.It is really hurt a lot after looking into the ashes of so many memories which is enjoyed over the years by many people, sharing with the famous Mark Wier.But ya 1 good news is really feel better is about he and his family, They are safe. Mark is one of the strongest willed individuals and hope he become more stronger.Wishing him good luck nd lots of blessings.