Quantcast

Profile Accoustic Stem

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
I'm still waiting on my Jesme Sig bars to come in but I ordered and received this stem already.

A little after the fact but anyone else use one?..Opinions?

I just switched to Profile cranks on my STP and figured I'd try out one of their stems.

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
The acoustic stem wasn't much if any higher than other stems that had similar design but all the same, it's encouraging to hear of faith in Profile products.

A little word of advice for 07 STP SS(15.75" stays) owners though. If you change to more of a micro drive, choose something other than 28X13. I still have to use the factory tensioner and even with a new half-link chain, I am still stuck using said tensioner.
As soon as I purchase a hanger I'm changing over to the Rennen I bought late last year. The dropouts are my only gripe about the STP.

As soon as I get all parts in and installed I'll post a picture of my ride.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
The difference between Chris King parts and profile parts is that King's stuff works. Profile's stuff fails left and right. My Profile cranks were utter garbage. I know somebody who went through three sets in one summer. I've read so many horror stories about their nicely polished and machined hubs failing. No thanks.

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
Profile's stuff fails left and right. My Profile cranks were utter garbage. I know somebody who went through three sets in one summer. I've read so many horror stories about their nicely polished and machined hubs failing. No thanks.
Can't speak to the hub comment but 3 sets of cranks in one summer? Not sure I believe that. I've heard nothing but good things about profile cranks in both MTB and BMX forums. Not that they won't or can't fail since everything can and will break but the vast majority are in opposition to what you said.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Can't speak to the hub comment but 3 sets of cranks in one summer? Not sure I believe that. I've heard nothing but good things about profile cranks in both MTB and BMX forums. Not that they won't or can't fail since everything can and will break but the vast majority are in opposition to what you said.
I know that most will disagree with me here; that's fine. The Profile cranks were on my BMX bike. I think they're alright for racing, but they market them for street, park, and everything else. I ride street and do lots of gaps and grinds. They didn't last too long. As for my friend going through three pair in one summer? I'm not kidding. On the other hand, I've had fantastic results with Odyssey's 3-piece 41T cranks, as well as their cassette hubs. I do have a pair of Profile cranks on my Brooklyn, and I will replace them eventually..... The Brooklyn isn't my primary bike...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I agree that any part can fail in certain situations. I've had the same set of profile arms for many years on many bikes and they are relentless. Everyone has a different story but I think if you look at the failure rate of any crank set, profile prolly has the best track record in the industry IMO.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I agree that any part can fail in certain situations. I've had the same set of profile arms for many years on many bikes and they are relentless. Everyone has a different story but I think if you look at the failure rate of any crank set, profile prolly has the best track record in the industry IMO.
Agreed. I cant help but think the guy with 3 failures in one summer had a install problem(too short spindle, stripped splines.. etc etc) or was just purposely abusive. Im sure everyone here can break any crank arm if thats what they set out to do....