Quantcast

Profile wake, Tree. Splined vs Bolt

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Alright so i finally got around to getting some money and my imperal is bent up pretty good. So soon i'll be getting a new sprocket, im looking at the Profile Wake and a Tree. I know the Tree is good, but how about the Wake? Also whats better spline or drive bolt and why?

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
With the tree you can run spacers between the sprocket and crank arm, but you can only use it with a 48 spline 19mm spindle.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
the tree is by far a better sprocket, i went with the spline drive as it reduces the chances of you getting a "tight spot" in your chain and its a lot sleeker

go with the splined drive

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm currently using a splined sprocket from tree as well. Super awesome amazing sprocket!!!1 No really. I love it. Just make sure you are not using an Odyssey spindle, its tolerances are not tight enough for the sprocket to go on.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I was so impressed with the Tree lite that I've now got 3! haha... one on the Molly, which is traditional bolt drive to fit Fly 22mm cranks, but the other two are spline drive for 19mm... one is 33t on my Sinister SplinterMX (machined for 9spd chain, thanks again GMD), and the other is a 25 on my bmx, with the FSA ti spindle... and that one was just about the hardest thing to install on a bike that I can remember. Same thing with the macneil cranks to go with it.... it's like the splines in the FSA spindle I have kind of taper into a mess towards the middle of the crank, making tolerances too tight... but I still got it to work.

The cnc work on those is incredible, with the 3-axis stuff or whatever it is, how they got the little relief channels on the inside of the cut-outs flips my lid, good stuff!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Was it that hard? If not i guess i can stick with bolt for the time.
yeah, it was pretty tough... I'm not usually one to pop some veins, lose my cool, then go ballistic, but that's basically what happened... I was pissed. Almost had to try to hook up some adapter on an old press I have too, just to get that thing on far enough to leave enough spindle for the crank arm. There was NO way a traditional thread in crank arm installer tool was going to work, even with like a 2'+ cheater bar rigged up to it, was too scared I'd just snap the bolt off right in the spindle.

Your case might be different though, and I suspect yours will be easier.
My FSA ti spindle is old and has been used on probably 3 different crank set-ups/bikes, so maybe the traditional sprockets with the top hat spacers were deforming the splines or something... either way though, like I said above, I did finally get it to work.

Last edited:

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Alirght it looks like i am going to go with the orginial seeing as i can get it for like $34 right now. How ever i ran into a problem im going to be getting a rear profile ss (mtb) and i dont know if the damn cassette ring will take 1/8th or 3/16th's...I guess it would be best to just call them up tommrow, i wonder if they will exchange what ever is on it for a 1/8th driver....what ever...Thanks!