Quantcast

profile's 3/8 Axle Conversion Kit

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
anyone have any luck/experience with this rear hub conversion?
http://www.profileracing.com/products_home.php?productid=231

i want to do it to my profile mini rear hub. i'm not planning on running pegs ever on my tonic. i've seen a bunch of bike checks with this axle. here's cameron wood's http://bp1.blogger.com/_agBy3dKQp3M/Rsh-ITOC0jI/AAAAAAAAAXo/P4rvtPDMhsc/s1600-h/Cameron-Bike-1.jpg

derrick gerard runs this too. i couldn't find a pic of it though. the only hang up I have is that you have to use a 3/8 to 14mm adapter. do you think this set up will hold up?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
damn, that looks real clean and is something I wouldn't mind adding to my USB - give it that old school Phil Wood/Bullseye look. I think some button head bolts would look even better.

As far as holding up - I think it should especially if Gerard is running it. Do you know if those guy's bike have 3/8 or 14mm dropouts?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
they are more than likely running 3/8/14mm adapters. in fact, I've heard of some lighter riders running internal axles with pegs. should be plenty durable. I've got a set of pegs but I never run them. I may try to convert my demolition hub to a set up like this. I think it looks very clean and minimalistic...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
cool. i was looking at this but wish it came both sides flush.
http://www.albes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2032

i see they have this for premium hubs with both sides flush but not for profile. yea don i think their frames have 14mm drops.
I agree that albes axle would be perfect w/ both sides flush. Although at $15 it's tempting to get 2 axles and try to cut, drill, and tap for another flush mount. I just bought a cheapo tool that will make a drill press out of a normal 3/8" drill. I'm going to try it tonight and if it works well try that experiment.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
word, on the modificashiyon akshiyon.

same thing came up on another forum, glad you're researching it stoked. I'm still debating it as well.
cheaper than ti and you lose just as much weight in a smoother package!

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
yeah guys, i just a both sides flush premium axle for my hazzard, saves a bit of weight and cleans things up.
cant wait to get it installed.

only qualm with them? american standard bolt :-\

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
most bike hardware is metric. means you have to keep standard and metric tools around to work on stuff. I ran into this when I started switching a lot my stuff over to profile. What I'm finding these days is a lot of the guys still making stems and stuff stateside for bmx are using standard hardware...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
finally ordered the kit and received it yesterday. its pretty cool to say the least. sweet piece of machined alum. the albes axle adapters are nice too. real minimal and should do the job perfect. weights were on point as well. entire axle, bolts, cones, washers, and adapters came in at 4.6 oz. ill take shots of stuff before/after the swap. stoked!

it will look like this when finished. (pic borrowed from BG)