Quantcast

Progression

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
idk if its really that loose. wheelie = pedaling, manual = no pedaling. bmx bikes you can't sit and manual, so its a moot point there.
Manny = stood up zero pedal strokes
Wheelie = pedal force holding the front wheel up, stood up or sat down
coaster wheelie = sat down manual using the rear brake to help
brakeless mannies are the purest form (and hardest) of all.
you totally can coaster wheelie a BMX. it's a kinda old skool trick these days tho.

Fat bike wheelies are almost cheating as they create more resistance to pedal against (like pedalling uphill) and all that tyre float fatbikers get a hardon over actually makes the balance point/sweet spot a greater lean zone.
plenty of my Fatbike friends can wheelie their fat bikes but not a normal bike.

Ebikes are quite hard to manual as the assistance takes away some of your feel and muscle memory doesn't work the same. But they're much easier if you're a decent brake dragger.
I can manual and wheelie pretty far but don't use my rear brake when I manual or wheelie. Just never learned to.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rider does a manual, throws in a couple small pedal kicks to keep the wheel up - is that now a wheelie because he pedaled?
Yeah. bitch cranks are cheating.
not that it matters
being able to go from a manny to a pedal wheelie and back isn't easy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rider does a manual, throws in a couple small pedal kicks to keep the wheel up - is that now a wheelie because he pedaled?

Over here yelling at clouds but still, you're not gonna change my mind on this one. Use whatever terminology you like and I'll do the same.
Bitch kicks are used to keep the bike moving, not to keep the front wheel up. They fall under manualling but you will be heckled.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
AMERICA INVENTED BMX FREEDOM REPRESENT BACK TO YOUR BOG CRUSTY MAN

:busted:
and I thank your stupid country for that
thing is...
I'm old enough that I learned to wheelie before BMX was a thing

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!

Did i invent BMX?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ebikes are quite hard to manual as the assistance takes away some of your feel and muscle memory doesn't work the same. But they're much easier if you're a decent brake dragger.
Been a brake dragger forever and had a ton of fun doing power wheelies up steep shit the couple of times (so far) I've been out on an e-bike.

I'm old enough that I learned to wheelie before BMX was a thing
Pretty much same here. Learned to wheelie on one of those old choppers with the massive slick rear tire and tiny little front wheel. Sitting down on the banana seat even!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fat bike wheelies are almost cheating as they create more resistance to pedal against (like pedalling uphill) and all that tyre float fatbikers get a hardon over actually makes the balance point/sweet spot a greater lean zone.
Doesn't feel like cheating, it is still hard and takes work. I can also already see a difference between this and my skinnier fat-bike where the tire come out to maybe 3.5 (skinny "fat" tire on skinny rims). I was riding that last night for hill climbs and had the tires pumped way high. Definitely harder. I was able to hold one, but took several tries and again, harder for sure. Low tire pressure seems to be a big help. Neither bike (the one with 5" or smaller tires) is down really low for pressure, but I saw that suggested in several videos and figure the big-tire one is helping a lot. I was planning on working my way progressively down in tire-size. The 3.5-ish one next, then my AM rig, then finally my XC one.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Doesn't feel like cheating, it is still hard and takes work. I can also already see a difference between this and my skinnier fat-bike where the tire come out to maybe 3.5 (skinny "fat" tire on skinny rims). I was riding that last night for hill climbs and had the tires pumped way high. Definitely harder. I was able to hold one, but took several tries and again, harder for sure. Low tire pressure seems to be a big help. Neither bike (the one with 5" or smaller tires) is down really low for pressure, but I saw that suggested in several videos and figure the big-tire one is helping a lot. I was planning on working my way progressively down in tire-size. The 3.5-ish one next, then my AM rig, then finally my XC one.
I just loves me some fat bike tyre width and pressure chat

I know... I know... it's my own stupid fault

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you want to see your balance/control skills progress like you're on mountain biker steroids, get a moto trials bike to fart around on. They're quiet, they don't really go fast enough to hurt you, and they're just stupid fun. Don't really need too much besides pants and boots to get going. A halfshell mtb helmet is sufficient to just screw around on it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's also a real shitty chainstay length, 18.5".

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm pretty sure the word manual came from early 90s skateboarding, and BMX adopted it a little bit later. Before then I don't think the word was used in skating or bikes.

Manualling a skate has always been easier for me.. I could probably do a block long manual today, having not stepped on a board in a few years.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's also a real shitty chainstay length, 18.5".
Duuuuude..... longer chainstays are actually LESS twitchy to wheelie/manual. ie. easier to hold.
Longer CS just makes it a little more difficult to raise the front (all else being the same)
BMXs are harder to manny than mtbs

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I guess you have more experience manualling BMX?

You'd agree they're twitchier tho, eh?
I suppose we have to agree on what twitchy means, I never found That to be the case.

A good manual exercise is to try to manual with the front tire just a few inches off the ground. It forces you to exaggerate your weight transfer far behind the rear axle.
The higher the front end the less of a lever you need to balance.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah I do already manual BMX with the wheel really low. mtb lower than most too tho.Which i always put down to not using my rear brake

Last edited: