Quantcast

Progressive and/or stacked springs

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Has anybody successfully sourced or tried progressive springs on their shock? Probably not necessary on a high rising rate bike, but on a linear ride I would think it could work well. Alternatively, a stacked/dual weight spring...

Trolling ebay is tough, everything is marketed as vehicle specific, not universal by weight or diameter.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Has anybody successfully sourced or tried progressive springs on their shock? Probably not necessary on a high rising rate bike, but on a linear ride I would think it could work well. Alternatively, a stacked/dual weight spring...

Trolling ebay is tough, everything is marketed as vehicle specific, not universal by weight or diameter.
I thought I remember either a rear coil or fork spring that was all one spring but progressive. i.e the coil spacing changed from more seperate at the beginning to more tightly spaced at the end. I think this was before all the fancy damping shocks we have today. I also seem to remember some kind of suspension having a "helper" spring for small bump compliance.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
only time i ever saw it on an mtb was from Foes/Curnutt. And i think they had only done it for a handful of bikes, the DHS 2:1 being one of them.

and it was ungodly expensive.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I had coil overs on my old car that had a helper spring seemed to smooth out the ride(didn't have any apple to apple comparison) compared to the other single spring coil overs I've ridden in(same chassis as my car).. I think the main purpose is to keep the main spring weighted over dips in the surface?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It is doable but expensive. If the cost was smaller Id defo go for it and a ccdb for my legend. Troy on this forum claimed he can make/get one but I never drilled him about it since I dont want to spend anymore on my bike

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

stratos had a progressive coil...in addition to an air spring in their coil over shocks. that must have had some impressive progression to it.

The coil spring is what I'm after though. I like the curnutt style spring system, that would probably accomplish the same thing. I'm thinking a 400lb spring and then a shorter 450, to basically give the bike some additional bottom out/ramp up assistance. The challenge is doing it on a modern, non-custom shock.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I've contacted Troy about it but nothing ever came of it. He sent me this link:

http://www.bikenosis.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=28&osCsid=00oujf6n9v5sm3q7jip7h13ao2

I thought about buying the longer stroke shock just for the spring, but I think the ID would be too small for any modern DH shocks, so it doesn't help much.

I was not able to come up with anything else, but if you have $500 lying around, a spring shop would probably wind you a custom one. There are custom spring winders around on the internet.

If you want any difference, I'd go bigger than 400/450 split. I was thinking 350/450 for mine.

If you do decide to go custom, let me know. I'd like to try one and would go in on the deal.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
My correspondence with RCS:

Aaron-

For a 3.00” stroke shock, we’ll need 6.800” of free length for the spring. I believe that should work on the shock.

With the varied coil spacing and the high level of stress, we’ll need to use a different blend of chrome-silicon (steel) for this spring. The price difference is about $5.00 per spring.

Here is the pricing…

1 @ $1285.00 each
3 @ $485.00 each
5 @ $380.00 each

The lead time would be around 4 weeks.

If you wanted them out of titanium…

1 @ $1415.00 each
3 @ $590.00 each
5 @ $430.00 each

The lead time would be around 10 weeks (need to order material).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards-
Kyle

Kyle Cabaya
Marketing & Motorsport Project Manager

Renton Coil Spring Co. Inc.

Quote was based on these specs:

SHOCK MAKE/MODEL: Cane Creek Double Barrel, 9.5 x 3.0" stroke
SPRING INSIDE DIAMETER: 1.43" minimum
SHOCK STROKE LENGTH: 3.0"
SPRING RATE (START): 350 lbs/in
SPRING RATE (END): 450 lbs/in
MAXIMUM LENGTH SPRING SHOCK WILL ACCOMIDATE: 6.38

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
damn, if you order at least 10, then it would start making sense. Good to know though. This would work really nice with regressive single pivots for sure! Like the old orange 222 - 223 or 224 and such...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Older Marzocchi's had stacked springs. My 03 Super T had extra firm lower in one, medium lower in other, heavy uppers in both. Bradaaaap.

I read slow.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

stratos had a progressive coil...in addition to an air spring in their coil over shocks. that must have had some impressive progression to it.

The coil spring is what I'm after though. I like the curnutt style spring system, that would probably accomplish the same thing. I'm thinking a 400lb spring and then a shorter 450, to basically give the bike some additional bottom out/ramp up assistance. The challenge is doing it on a modern, non-custom shock.
I had one of those. It was way too progressive.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
..in addition to an air spring in their coil over shocks.
All coil-over shocks have air springs inside- the air on the other side of the IFP from the oil is a spring, bottom out adjusters usually change the volume of that spring.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
All coil-over shocks have air springs inside- the air on the other side of the IFP from the oil is a spring, bottom out adjusters usually change the volume of that spring.
I was under the impression the IFP or bladder serves as a compensator for oil expansion due to heat build-up. IE, oil gets hot, it expands, then to avoid hydrolock you need a little space for it to move to, thus the pressurized IFP. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Regardless, the Helix series had both a coil spring and a small air chamber that acted as a spring. I think it was oil damped though, so you had a coil and air spring, and a pressurized oil damper.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
True, but it's not much of an effect in conventional layouts. On some shocks, the air chamber acts against an oil valve that provides more resistance as it's compressed, this is where "progressive damping" comes from. This is the DHX and 5th element type shocks. On other more conventional shocks the ramp-up by the reservior is not significant. The air spring on the Stratos Helix Expert and Pro was a lot larger, so it was fairly significant to the overall progression. Those shocks were good for severe falling rate designs (Trek Y-bikes), but on my ride I found it exceptionally harsh, due to simply ramping up too fast.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I was under the impression the IFP or bladder serves as a compensator for oil expansion due to heat build-up. IE, oil gets hot, it expands, then to avoid hydrolock you need a little space for it to move to, thus the pressurized IFP. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Regardless, the Helix series had both a coil spring and a small air chamber that acted as a spring. I think it was oil damped though, so you had a coil and air spring, and a pressurized oil damper.
The main reason for the pressurized air chamber is to allow oil displacement caused by the damper shaft entering the damper. Ie, as you compress a shock, the shaft that goes inside, uh huh huh, takes up space. Without the air spring, it would be hydro locked.
I'm not sure how much oil expands as it gets hot, but I would think that is pretty minimal.
The pressure in there can effect several things, depending on the shock design. As Jm mentioned, some shocks have pressure sensitive valves, and the pressure is also used to prevent cavitation.
As far as magnitude of air spring to overall spring rate, that's totally dependent on what the designer chooses. On a Fox RC4, it can be very significant with the bottom out adjuster cranked in.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Back to the original question: it is common in race cars and motorcycles to use progressively wound springs. I've recommended it to a friend before back when he was riding a Jamis BAM that felt like it had a regressive leverage rate. He ended up just getting a better frame, though.
Another way to accomplish it is with bottom out bumpers; I've seen some of those before in cars that are very long and tapered. That creates a noticeable ramp up deeper in the travel.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Go-ride does this for the fox 40s, or at least did...
The first couple of years the Fox 40 was very linear in damping. It bottomed very easy and rode harsh when you installed stiffer springs that all but the lightest of riders needed. We did a dual rate Ti spring system for the 40 and it made a lot of improvement. Since that time Fox has really figured out the damper in the 40 and it now has very good progression while still being good in the chop. We no longer offer the dual rate springs, but do have Ti springs in the "Green" rate (one step stiffer than stock) that Fox does not offer.

We have 3 sets of the "Green" Ti springs and they are on sale for $99 a set.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
We no longer offer the dual rate springs, but do have Ti springs in the "Green" rate (one step stiffer than stock) that Fox does not offer.

We have 3 sets of the "Green" Ti springs and they are on sale for $99 a set.
I might be interested in those. Last time I checked Fox was offering Green Ti springs for around $200. My Large 2008 Glory came with one and I would assume most Fox sponsored riders are on a green Ti spring. Hmm.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The piggy back air chamber is only a spring in regards to oil pressure. It has no bearing on spring weight when you talk about the spring in regards to the spring that holds the bike up. A spring holds a bike at a static height after whatever length of period it takes for the damping to let it get there. The spring holds the bike and rider at a desired height, the damping controls how quick it gets to that desired height/stroke/travel/whatever.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The piggy back air chamber is only a spring in regards to oil pressure. It has no bearing on spring weight when you talk about the spring in regards to the spring that holds the bike up. A spring holds a bike at a static height after whatever length of period it takes for the damping to let it get there. The spring holds the bike and rider at a desired height, the damping controls how quick it gets to that desired height/stroke/travel/whatever.
The air can is a spring, the kind that exerts a static force. Mathematically, it is the reservoir pressure times the effective cross sectional area of the damper shaft.
To experience it yourself, take the coil spring off the damper and try to compress and statically hold the damper at a compressed state. You probably won't be able to without reducing the reservoir pressure.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The air can is a spring, the kind that exerts a static force. Mathematically, it is the reservoir pressure times the effective cross sectional area of the damper shaft.
To experience it yourself, take the coil spring off the damper and try to compress and statically hold the damper at a compressed state. You probably won't be able to without reducing the reservoir pressure.
Oh okay so it's a spring for the amount of air/oil displaced by the shaft. Trivial in the scheme of things. Like calling seals dampening as they slow the shaft speed. The piggy backs air springs purpose is to increase oil pressure/damping not to suspend the bike staticly, but to suspend the bike dynamically.

Last edited:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
stacking regular springs won't work to make anything "progressive" the only way to do it effectively would be to have a soft spring that actually bound, then the stiff spring could take effect, otherwise you'll get the same rate, its linear, hence the tight winding on the stratos,

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
My bike has stacked springs, the smaller one on the left binds around the 60% travel mark. Makes the sag quite soft but it is still difficult enough to bottom without having to have a spring that is too underrated.

Attachments

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
We did a dual rate Ti spring system for the 40 and it made a lot of improvement.
i put those springs in my first gen 40 when i had it and i thought it was a complete waste of money. i didnt notice a difference what so ever.
i only bought them since they were cheaper then a new fork and i hated my 40 and was hoping this would improve the feel of the fork.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Speaking of stuff that didn't really work:

Two years ago I tried a spring within a spring on the CCDB. I ran a 300 lbs main spring, and then ordered a smaller 100 lbs/in spring that was about 40 mm in length that fit where the bottom out bumper is (imagine a valve spring if it helps). I ran the bumper on top of the spring (between the spring and the shock body).

The idea being you get 300 lbs/in for the first half of the travel, and then 400 lbs/in in the second half.

I couldn't really tell the difference. It was kind of cobbled together and I only tried it for a few runs, but I think I needed something stronger than a 100 lbs spring down there. At 2/3rds travel they main spring is producing 600 lbs of force, so coming into contact with that little 100 lbs/in spring wasn't really noticeable.