Quantcast

Project: 05 Sunday

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
I recently took my old 2005 Large sunday and over the past week have taken 15 hours straight work, " With 2 good freind's help " and transformed it in entire new bike that has been turning heads.

Before:
a>

\

After:
a>

\

what else can I do to make it lighter:p

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
nope..use paint stripper...then took 6 hours and used steel wool..in total cost $35 to do this..plus getting graphics from Acadian=)

Very timely but definately worth it..along with the drill pressed holes near the shock...saved half a pound

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
.along with the drill pressed holes near the shock...saved half a pound
:eek::eek::eek:
I wouldn't think speed holes in the main structural part of the frame would be a good Idea. The bike looks phenominal otherwise! Very well done........other then the speed holes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wouldn't think speed holes in the main structural part of the frame would be a good Idea. The bike looks phenominal otherwise! Very well done........other then the speed holes.
If he's light that may work. I'm quite sure Ben Reid has the same idea on his bike.

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
They are definately a mimic or reid's bike. BUT.:D they are are half the size and there are 13 less holes on each side. I originally was going to cut out those squares such as hill's dream machine but holes were easier and less risky. Super easy to drill aswell

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ben reids been racing WC's on a Sunday thats more drilled out then that for an entire season. Probably where he got the idea.

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
dont get me wrong it was about half a pound..I weighed the shavings...any weight counts..now a picture for those of you who think its a bad idea..
:thumb:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Half a pound including taking the paint off I presume, not just on the holes you drilled.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Well.......there's the proof. Still..........you wouldn't catch me taking a drill to my DH bike to save a small amout of weight on the frame. A half pound is a noticable amout if its rotating weight......not on the frame. Maybe if you save'd a half pound on the linkage (un-sprung), but definetly not the main triangle.
Ben Reid is also a wee-little fella who will throw his frame out after the end of the year.
I really do like the bike though......purdy to look at.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Well regardless of the drilling debate, the frame looks stunning, 10x better than new.
I think I'm going to go ahead and do that to mine this winter :thumb:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
ohhhhhhh...........since you asked.......you could drop those boat anchor pedals (600+grams) and get some lighter, better, grippier ones...........you'd save a half pound of rotating weight.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well.......there's the proof. Still..........you wouldn't catch me taking a drill to my DH bike to save a small amout of weight on the frame. A half pound is a noticable amout if its rotating weight......not on the frame. Maybe if you save'd a half pound on the linkage (un-sprung), but definetly not the main triangle.
Ben Reid is also a wee-little fella who will throw his frame out after the end of the year.
I really do like the bike though......purdy to look at.
Pretty sure he's been riding the same one for a fair while now. I'd also bet that his frames cop a lot more than yours/ours do, regardless of his size. Finally, weight saved is weight saved, it all adds up no matter where it is.

The 07-09 frames lost 0.9lb by using lighter upright forgings anyway, so there's probably enough material to safely play with on the 05 frame. Not sure I believe there was half a pound (227g) lost there alone though, I mean seriously, you weighed 227g worth of shavings?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
He could, and that's the only way I'd believe he saved even close to 227g, but I'd still assume that he was a) exaggerating, or b) cack-handed with the scales.

However, earlier in the thread, he mentions weighing the shavings :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nice work, the bike looks great. I love polished frames and the speed holes are a neat touch. I'd love to see somebody just cut out the whole square, I imagine it wouldn't be too bad structurally...

Plus, these are kind of throw-away frames...resale just keeps getting lower and there's no warranty anywhere you look, why not have a little fun with it and keep things fresh?

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
yes grams scale...( And no I dont weigh Cocaine )....im not sure ven why I have it but it work it showed about 273 grams shaved off..the metal is pretty damn think..

Im drill more holes this weekend...ill post more pix

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's pretty close, but i was thinking of taking almost all the horizontal material away...your bro is smart for leaving some in, it's probably more structurally sound.

Also, has anybody removed their headtube badge? I'd love to get rid of mine and replace it with a sticker from something cool(er).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
hows this>>

my bro did it to his sunday frame
Hey that's awesome, what did he use?
Looks mint, way better than ugly drilling!

Sandwich -
Wouldn't advise taking all the material out, because (off the top of my head, have to check) the forging actually gets thicker towards the edges of those rectangles on the inside face of the upright. Either way, Sam's VDS WC bike only had as much as the pictures above taken out so I'd probably stick to that to be safe.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Couple things:

1/2 pound of aluminum is almost 100 cm^3.

I thought you were sponsored by Specialized or was it Yeti or was that just for your pinkbike fans?

Has Jake Womack ever posted ANYTHING that was not total make believe...Hmmm.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Your bike remodel has inspired me. I have a yakuza which looks pretty close to the sunday expect the rear swing is different of course. Both bikes share the same uprights more or less that 303flyer drilled. Im thinking of drilling a couple in mine now. Think it would be okay?

I would drill at the back of the support closest to the rear wheel. Follow the countour and drill down in a staight line.

Thoughts?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The sunday is quite a bit more triangular in shape...I would think the yakuza would put more stress on that area since it's a bit narrower. It is also kind of a cheap, low resale bike, so drilling it and possibly losing it to fatigue may not be a huge deal. I would still save the time and effort and ride it as is...there are probably a lot of upgrades that would make it ride better than shaving 20 grams of aluminum off.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
The sunday is quite a bit more triangular in shape...I would think the yakuza would put more stress on that area since it's a bit narrower. It is also kind of a cheap, low resale bike, so drilling it and possibly losing it to fatigue may not be a huge deal. I would still save the time and effort and ride it as is...there are probably a lot of upgrades that would make it ride better than shaving 20 grams of aluminum off.
Yea i agree. I was just thinking. Thats not my bike in the picture. Mine is much more built up than that one. By a long shot. But i'll leave it how it is. I have no complaints with it. I do want to upgrade to the tr 450 when they come out to the public....